Ceramic vs glass

raulski

In your experience, what are the differences between hones made of different materials? What are your preferences?
Do you think it's necessary to also have a stone holder? Or will putting the stone on a towel to prevent it from moving be ok?

Last edited by a moderator:
My advice would be to use as many different synthetics as you can - under the supervision of the stones custodian, who can provide meaningful instruction, of course.
This way you can get a feel for the stones (the wand chooses the wizard, Harry) and the way they work under your hands.
I know this sounds a little airy fairy, but that has been my experience.
You will also find that you will 'outgrow' some of your stones too - all part of the process.
Don't forget that YMMV

My 2 cents. Each stone has different characteristics Speed of metal removal. Scratch pattern/depth (deeper scratches will take longer to remove at higher grit). Stone hardness ( how long stone stays level before needing to lap).

Now all of these are highly dependant on technique. How even is your pressure how much stone coverage while you sharpen. How well you initially lap them. That's why it's important to have tuition initially later one you will find the stones that works best with your technique.