Charles Macdaniel stub tail 1814 - 1851

Jamie

Here's a restoration I carried out a little while ago for myself on a very rare English razor, I have this posted on another forum at the time I thought I would share this with you hope you enjoy.

Well I'm very pleased to say this restoration turned out well and what a relief, I was very nervous about this restoration for me as the whole point was to turn this one out in as perfect and original condition as possible, the super thin Ivory scales were an absolute nightmare to remove almost 2 hours of gently trying my patience beyond belief, the pins were the exact same thickness as the pivot hole sitting there married together for possibly 180 years, I finally managed to release the blade with no cracks or breaks phew! now I know how a brain surgeon must feel, the next issue the scales showed some old ink marks god knows how long they had been there, with a little warm water in the sink and some bicarbonate of soda between my forefinger and thumb gentle rubbing low an behold both ink marks removed, the next issue and for those of you who have worked vintage Ivory scales you will know only too well, it's one thing removing them now comes the next big headache repining them, well everything went well no issues, hope you enjoy the razor she's a real beauty, I plan to shave with her over the weekend.

FYm6TI4.jpg

AlXXsHM.jpg

n5RpLQJ.jpg

EQCx5K3.jpg

NWpF6Bs.jpg

xrhcZx7.jpg

vw5bZfS.jpg

9OtK6K0.jpg

VRTLOp1.png

Kut7ARY.jpg

Incredible mate - an amazing piece of history restored and renewed!

Now THAT is a straight I could be tempted to try :)

Here's a restoration I carried out a little while ago for myself on a very rare English razor, I have this posted on another forum at the time I thought I would share this with you hope you enjoy.

Well I'm very pleased to say this restoration turned out well and what a relief, I was very nervous about this restoration for me as the whole point was to turn this one out in as perfect and original condition as possible, the super thin Ivory scales were an absolute nightmare to remove almost 2 hours of gently trying my patience beyond belief, the pins were the exact same thickness as the pivot hole sitting there married together for possibly 180 years, I finally managed to release the blade with no cracks or breaks phew! now I know how a brain surgeon must feel, the next issue the scales showed some old ink marks god knows how long they had been there, with a little warm water in the sink and some bicarbonate of soda between my forefinger and thumb gentle rubbing low an behold both ink marks removed, the next issue and for those of you who have worked vintage Ivory scales you will know only too well, it's one thing removing them now comes the next big headache repining them, well everything went well no issues, hope you enjoy the razor she's a real beauty, I plan to shave with her over the weekend.

FYm6TI4.jpg

AlXXsHM.jpg

n5RpLQJ.jpg

EQCx5K3.jpg

NWpF6Bs.jpg

xrhcZx7.jpg

vw5bZfS.jpg

9OtK6K0.jpg

VRTLOp1.png

Kut7ARY.jpg
Beautiful! Was the repinning an issue as far as being able to get the tension you wanted on the pins without cracking the scales? How forgiving is ivory? Or was that a high risk exercise that you got away with? Not discounting the skill required by any means.:)(y)

Beautiful! Was the repinning an issue as far as being able to get the tension you wanted on the pins without cracking the scales? How forgiving is ivory? Or was that a high-risk exercise that you got away with? Not discounting the skill required by any means.:)(y)

Vintage Ivory can be temperamental, one of the problems the razor is more than 180 years old and it's hard to judge how solid the scales are, repinning Ivory any Ivory scales is a nerve-racking business one of the problems with vintage scales they are so very thin, another thing to look out for is any damage around the pivot pin fine hairline cracks, I did manage to get the tension right the blade centered perfectly and the razor is a fine shaver, I have my fair share of Ivory scale razors coming in for honing, If they need the pivot pin tightening I will not do this because If they break I could never replace them.

Trying to replace elephant ivory these days would be near impossible.Only ways I could see it happening is with keys from an old piano,(length would be an issue),finding old stock at a taxidermists or in an old hunters estate.

Wonderful work (y)

Beautiful....

Incredible mate - an amazing piece of history restored and renewed!

Now THAT is a straight I could be tempted to try :)

Very cool.Those scales turned out pretty good and I love the silver piping.

Beautiful! Was the repinning an issue as far as being able to get the tension you wanted on the pins without cracking the scales? How forgiving is ivory? Or was that a high risk exercise that you got away with? Not discounting the skill required by any means.:)(y)

Trying to replace elephant ivory these days would be near impossible.Only ways I could see it happening is with keys from an old piano,(length would be an issue),finding old stock at a taxidermists or in an old hunters estate.

Wonderful work (y)

That's a bit rough.

@Jamie - beautiful work on a gorgeous razor- thanks for sharing :)

Thanks for your comments gentlemen.

@Jamie

Here is another comment for you.

I am so jelly that I want to come over and steal it off you.

So there. :whistle:

This needs more photos

Good choice, although It would be right at the bottom of the pile if I were choosing, It wouldn't get into my top 10.
You have some outstanding razors,but there is something about that one that appeals to me.It's simplicity yet quality is why I like it so much.Beauty without being ostentatious.

That's a bit rough.

It is rude, but it may be hard also as restoration can be a way to put back on the legal game some poached and smuggled ivory. I won't go on the terms of killing some of the most wonderful beast around the globe like the elephants, as I call myself a hunter (I am fisherman), and because still the hunting currently going, and some sources of harvesting can be more than we need to make it sustainable, but poaching in some of the areas where this amazing beast carrying and making ivory is a nasty thing. They go out to poach better armed than the rangers, or even militars, and it result in casualties, yo dont have to go far on time, probably last fight with casualties may have happen today, or yesterday, and it is very sad when it happen to a ranger (several hundreds killed in last years).
I believe, or want to believe, that some dramatic or strict laws for banning came from as a last option. Remember that, at least a few years ago, smuggling wildlife or wildlife parts (like ivory) was the third most profitable business of the world, just below drug smuggling and "human beings" trafficking
Anyway If in charge I would let ivory workout and restoration something legal, though a strict process....