Chatillon Lux Post Shave Balms

todras

est Français pour après-rasage
In Memoriam
2019 Charity Auction Winner
Menth Dealer
Chatillon Lux

After sampling 6 or 7 of these balms ($2 each!!) I immediately ordered the full size versions at $10 USD per scent. The prices are very reasonable and the postage costs to Australia are fractional. In addition to balms Shaun the creator of Chatillon Lux also does alcohol Splashes and skin toners with the same scents. Maggard's also stocks them in case there is an issue with posting alcohol based products.

I will preface this review by stating up front that these are sophisticated, intelligent scents that have been crafted with maturity, intelligence and style - if you are looking for the blunt less complex, flavour of the month in your face kind of deal these complex and nuanced scents may not be for you.

That being said, I love them because quite frankly they are superb and pair extremely well with the various soaps on the market. There is a detailed and extensive 'Recommended Pairings' provided by the creator at Chatillon Lux which given the French names and complexity of the range was very helpful.

The balms are highly concentrated and I suspect each tub will last me 5-6 months of daily use. I found that around a 5c piece worth warmed in the palms was sufficient for full face and neck cover and that this amount deeply moisturised, cooled with the scent lasting all day. The balms require heat to bring the scent to life, in the pot they smell average but when rubbed in the palms prior to applying to the face after a shave the explosion of the scents is wonderful.

Ingredients

Shea butter, essential oils, witch hazel, avocado oil, coconut oil, aloe vera, cetyl alcohol, emulsifying wax, lanolin, and glycerin.

Gratiot League Square
Deep, warm sandalwood, the suitable and moderate presence of clove, vetiver and pipe tobacco sit together perfectly. Notable bergamot and hints of vanilla that are realised and come to life when the balm is applied to the skin, warm and nourishing and interestingly complex. This scent next to 'Forth and Pine' is easily my favourite of the range.

La Forêt de Liguest
A Fougère companion and compliment, citrus, notes of geranium, rose and bergamot, vanilla and vetier work remarkably well in their presence. Quite an evocative scent that works well with B+M 'Cologne Russe' and soaps of similar vein. Quite unique but with forethought an excellent companion when paired intelligently.

Colonia Balsamica
As the name certainly implies this is one that works with Acqua De Palma or the more down market but popular 'XXX' from Razo Rock. We see notably ginger, grasses, herbs and the refreshing, sweet citrus and and jasmine rounding it off. A great companion to be honest for all of the Colonia type soaps around.

Vide Poche
This is one that it set for high rotation come spring and summer. Appropriate and intelligent use of mild spice, amber notes and the balance of citrus and fragrant Honeysuckle. Works really well with Occam's original and the Crushed Lime, B+M Rhapsody, MLS Grand Havana or indeed any soap where spice and citrus features in a restrained, agreeable manner.

Delor de Treget
Cedar wood, lavender and bergamot. I found this one quite interesting in that the cedar wood is quite dominant and I am not a massive cedar wood fan but the lavender particularly keeps things interesting - it is quite a unique scent in this regard. I also picked up bergamot in the top notes although it struggles to be heard. It's one that works really well with any of the cedar dominant soaps and some of the more creative Sandalwood soaps out there. Not one of my favorites but none the less interesting and great for the masculine, no nonsense wood/gunpowder/gin types out there.

Fourth and Pine
My equal first favorite of this excellent range. A very complex and expertly balanced scent composition. Grapefruit, lemon, orange yuzu and neroli with a hint of lavender for some depth. It's light and versatile and lends itself to so many of my favourite warm weather scents from Castle Forbes Lime to B+M and even to TOBS Jermyn St.

Bon Vivant

Blood Orange, caramel, vanilla, molasses and spice. It's one that loves the Bay Rums of any flavour and compliments them perfectly. A very warm smelling balm, the spice isn't overpowering but rather adds to the citrus smoked complexity that forms the whole. One for Autumn and definitely winter that has seen high rotation since it arrived.

MORE stuff to buy - thanks @todras :)

Wow! These sound fantastic @todras -thanks for the write up.

MORE stuff to buy - thanks @todras :)

They are particularly good, well worth obtaining when they are in stock as they often sell out.

I may even do another PIF sometime randomly over the next week and send out the 7 or so balms I have here if people want to try them before ordering. I have full sample containers that are (2 or 3 grams) that are full. The balms are a concentrate, little to no 'filler' and a little goes a very, very long way.

I'm of course quite happy to send all of them to you if you would like to check them out, particularly given your extensive advice, assistance and politeness in response to my barrage of 'Vintage' related questions which I sincerely appreciate. Please don't hesitate to pm me @Mark1966 if you would like me to send them, it's the least I can do.

I still intend doing a 6 scent PIF with the Chatillon Lux but have delayed it as my significant other presumed because my large tubs of the stuff had arrived I did not want the samples that Shaun sent me and so she gifted them out including 2 that I did not order full size pots of... C'Est La Vie!

I ordered a bunch of 10gm sample containers the other day, when they get here this week I will fill them up, label the tubs and post the PIF for anyone interested in trying some of the scents.

Many thanks to @todras for the PIF of these balms. They are superb!!!

Today I used the:
Delor de Treget
Cedar wood, lavender and bergamot. I found this one quite interesting in that the cedar wood is quite dominant and I am not a massive cedar wood fan but the lavender particularly keeps things interesting - it is quite a unique scent in this regard. I also picked up bergamot in the top notes although it struggles to be heard. It's one that works really well with any of the cedar dominant soaps and some of the more creative Sandalwood soaps out there. Not one of my favorites but none the less interesting and great for the masculine, no nonsense wood/gunpowder/gin types out there.
It paired beautifully with the new Bergamot, Cedarwood and Patchouli shaving soap from Washpool Farm. Exquisite and robust. As @todras points out - these scents are really something special. Just this one experience makes be want to buy a jar of this salve!
I was surprised that it's a thick, butter-like consistency. I was expecting a creamy, dollop-like balm. You really do have to scrape some out, warm it between the fingers to melt a little before rubbing it gently into the skin. After a while it does absorb in well and left my skin very moisturised.
Very impressed - it truly stands out.

Many thanks to @todras for the PIF of these balms. They are superb!!!

Today I used the:

It paired beautifully with the new Bergamot, Cedarwood and Patchouli shaving soap from Washpool Farm. Exquisite and robust. As @todras points out - these scents are really something special. Just this one experience makes be want to buy a jar of this salve!
I was surprised that it's a thick, butter-like consistency. I was expecting a creamy, dollop-like balm. You really do have to scrape some out, warm it between the fingers to melt a little before rubbing it gently into the skin. After a while it does absorb in well and left my skin very moisturised.
Very impressed - it truly stands out.

Great review mate - these sound very interesting !

Great review mate - these sound very interesting !
You'd love it.
I should bring them along to the Sydney Shave meet for you to sample.

Tried it last night a bit to check how they are working and this morning after shave. Could be just YMMV case, but I found it's working better on a warm skin rather than on a cold one after cold water rinse. I'll need to adjust my routine to warm skin a bit after cold rinse (I simply like it). And yes, warming the balm in your hands as well is the must.

Yes, it's highly concentrated. If you take it too much it will leave your skin greasy. I would say you need to start with a tiny amount and apply gradually trying to spread it as much as possible and only after that use another tiny amount.

Difficult to pair with something. Without the info from the site it would take long time to find good parings (for me). And even with pairing guide it's still a bit tricky. And I guess you do not need any cologne as the scent is quite strong and unique.

Tried it last night a bit to check how they are working and this morning after shave. Could be just YMMV case, but I found it's working better on a warm skin rather than on a cold one after cold water rinse. I'll need to adjust my routine to warm skin a bit after cold rinse (I simply like it). And yes, warming the balm in your hands as well is the must.

Yes, it's highly concentrated. If you take it too much it will leave your skin greasy. I would say you need to start with a tiny amount and apply gradually trying to spread it as much as possible and only after that use another tiny amount.

Difficult to pair with something. Without the info from the site it would take long time to find good parings (for me). And even with pairing guide it's still a bit tricky. And I guess you do not need any cologne as the scent is quite strong and unique.

Shaun the creator recommends massaging a small amount of the balm into your slightly moist skin for around 45 seconds to ensure absorption and I found his advice to be spot on.

Shaun the creator recommends massaging a small amount of the balm into your slightly moist skin for around 45 seconds to ensure absorption and I found his advice to be spot on.

I wet one hand, then with the other scoop some balm and rub my two hands together so the butter melts and becomes a thin, milky consistency. I then rub this straight on the face no probs at all. Beautiful!

That will be my next try :)

I wet one hand, then with the other scoop some balm and rub my two hands together so the butter melts and becomes a thin, milky consistency. I then rub this straight on the face no probs at all. Beautiful!
And this one after the next. :)

A really informative interview with Shawn from Chatillon Lux by Sharpologist for anyone wanting to learn more about the naming of the balms, the process and the man himself.