Review Chinese Generic 60mm wide Dual Denim/Calf-hide Hanging Strop

rbscebu

Atherton Tablelands, Queensland, Australia
For about AUD 14 (Aug. 2020) on AliExpress and a bit more elsewhere, this strop is ideal for beginners and for travellers. The strop is made in Kazakhstan from Kyrgyzstan calf-hide leather.

There are many vendors selling these strops. They are all the same, just badge engineered. Search and just find one that has a price, shipping cost and delivery time that suits you.

FhvmkOK.jpg

Pros:
  • Great value
  • Solid hardware
  • Leather and denim
  • Flexible for easy storage
  • Wider than the normal 50mm strop
Cons:
  • Relatively short useable length
  • Width is a bit less than most blade lengths
  • Not overly thick
  • Can't be good because it's not expensive
zdOm1NS.jpg
Technical details:

Length overall (excluding hardware) = 385mm
Useable stropping length = 300mm
Width = 60mm
Leather = tanned calf-hide about 1.5mm thick
Denim = double layer about 1.3mm thick total
Hardware = brass plated steel

The leather strop has a light to medium draw. It normally comes ready to use, however a rub with the underside of your forearm before each use is recommended. I use this strop daily at home and can also easily take it with me when travelling. For the price, I also don't get upset if I happen to cut it up when not concentrating on my stropping.

This was my first "real" leather strop. After cutting up my first two of these strops, I have now been using my third for over 300 shaves and not put a mark on it. Although not expensive, it does a great job on all of my SR's.

Do not get this strop if you think they must be expensive to be any good.

Wow, you really go all out with your reviews. That's a lot of detail(y)

Do not get this strop if you think they must be expensive to be any good.
Price does not always equal quality, though you will typically get a better product for your money if you spend a little more. For example, a Yaqi synthetic brush is a solid resin handle, with a dense, well-performing brush. I've compared it to a cheap Wilkinson Sword "Synthetic" and it was miles ahead of it, with the Wilk being about as useful as I imagine lathering with a sock.

The same can be said for the upper end of the price range, i.e. the Focus R50 Dynamic or even the Rockwell Model T (At Launch) are expensive and hit and miss products

Some budget items are diamonds in the [every growing] rough and you have some items that are literally turds with glitter on them at the other end :ROFLMAO:

This is probably why most people will baulk at inexpensive products because there are so many of them that are duds these days and it's a real shame

Last edited:
Great review mate!

Not a straight razor user - but a good read

Hi @rbscebu that looks identical to the two strops I received with the two Titan razors I have bought to practice on/with except they have imprinted there brand on the smooth leather side?
Cheers

Chinese generic? No, get a great brush in the 2021 Paste & Cut Charity Auction!

Bidding closes Saturday, 23rd October 2021 at 12.00pm AEDT unless extended in accordance with the rules.

Check out the items here

Hi @rbscebu that looks identical to the two strops I received with the two Titan razors I have bought to practice on/with except they have imprinted there brand on the smooth leather side?
Cheers
Yes, they are all made by the same manufacturer and sold by different vendors, some with their own name embossed on the leather.

Titan also sell these strops separately.

They are a good beginners strop and are great to take with you when traveling. After you stop cutting your strops up, you might like to look at getting something more up-market like an Heirloom Razor Strop. It took me about 300 SR shaves to stop cutting the strops up (slow learner). At about 500 SR shaves I felt confident enough to go more up-market.

I have SR shaved multiple times with about 10 different strops from the Titan like ones to those costing hundreds of dollars. I have found no difference in shave quality between any of the strops. There are of course many other differences between stops. What you like is up to you.