Chromox paste

namreklaw

Question for those straight shavers with more experience than me:

I've got a dovo strop with a leather side and a linen side. Do you ever use the linen side as it is our do you put a chrome oxide paste on it? What brands of chrome oxide do people use?

You can use straight linen or you can paste it with CrOx. I don't have much experience with CrOx but the times I've used it I've been very impressed.

I use my linen as a post-shave strop to "clean" the (already wiped) razor. I haven't used CrOx.

@Mark has extensive razor and honing experience and rightly counsels against frequent and excessive use of a crox pasted strop. With a linen pasted strop a finely honed blade can become concave, ie a more rounded bevel when the pasted strop is used too much. However I now hone myself and the potential for rounding the bevel is not a big concern for me. By that I simply mean I can correct it without sending the razor out for work. I hone out to my finishing hone then do 3 - 4 laps on the crox, 20 or so on the unpasted linen and then 50 or more on leather and I'm ready to use my freshly honed razor. After a shave 10 - 20 on the linen and 20 - 30 on the leather. Up to 50 before the next shave. I do not use crox before every shave. If the linen and leather are used well crox might be needed as a touch up once per month.

Steve

Last edited: