Cleaning head of DE

erobins

Hi all I have a mekur futur and finding a lot of stuff stuck in the head of the razor had tried soaking in hot water does anyone have a remedy for getting rid of extra hair and soap?

On my Feather, I disassemble razor and CAREFULLY remove blade. Clean blade under cold running water - do not wipe but allow running water to clear gunk - place on clean tissue, fold tissue and gently press to dry blade. I then use a soft toothbrush and running cold water on razor component parts. Now dry with tissues, insert blade and reassemble.
EDIT: To fully explain my process.

Last edited:
My process for razors is simple, my proclivity is for the high end new stainless models and my cleaning ritual occurs once a month to keep them all clean and in good condition. I actually find the cleaning and oiling process very relaxing and rewarding, I do 7 or so razors at once and it takes me around an hour or so... I usually settle in at the kitchen table with a nice glass of a good single malt (with bottle nearby) to do it:

You will need:
  • Soup Bowl of hot water with a few drops of regular dish-washing liquid. There is absolutely no need for fancy rubbish or special cleaners. Regular detergent will cause no harm whatsoever.
  • Soup Bowl of plain hot water for rinsing the Base plate and Cap
  • A Toothbrush I use new ones, you can buy 3 for $1.50 and each brush will last a good 2 years if only used for cleaning razors.
  • A couple of clean tea-towels and a roll of absorbent kitchen paper - any brand will do.
  • A bottle of Camelia Refined Oil (Camelia Olefera). You can buy 100ml of this oil from New Directions, it's the exact same oil Japanese Chef's use on their knives but bought from New Directions it's a lot cheaper. You can buy the $25-$40 Japanese knife oil if you like, but it contains exactly the same oil.
  • Some cotton buds - the ones you use to clean your ears.
To Clean the Razors:
  1. Take base plate and cap, put into bowl of hot soapy water for 1-2 mins - I usually do 7 razors at a time and put the whole lot in at once to soak, I work through them one at a time.
  2. Use the toothbrush give both the base plate and the top cap a good scrub in the bowl of hot soapy water. You can use a cotton bud too if you like for more pressure to remove tea-stains or hard to budge stains but keep this cotton but for the soap and water part only, don't go dipping it into the oil.
  3. Put the now scrubbed base plate and top cap into the clean bowl of hot water for 20 seconds.
  4. Remove and dry off thoroughly with the tea towl or preferably the roll of kitchen paper, make sure you get both the base plate and cap perfectly dry and water free.
  5. Dip cotton bud into bottle of Camelia oil and give the baseplate and top cap a thorough coat - especially the threads, it does not need to be dripping off the cap or base, you just want a nice coat. Use some paper with oil on it if you like, whatever works best for you. I find the cotton buds ideal to get into the blade anchor points or cavities.
  6. Using the same tooth-brush give the handle of the razor a good clean in the hot soapy water (but try not to get any water into the thread at the top of the handle). Then dip it into the fresh water and thoroughly dry with a tea-towel. Once it's properly dry, a few drops of camelia oil into the thread of the razor that attach the base-plate and cap will do wonders and will protect the thread.
  7. Do Not coat the handle in oil, its totally unnecessary and you will end up cutting your face to shreads as it will be slippery as all heck when soap or water hits it during a shave.

Please note: this is my method for cleaning new stainless steel razors not for vintage razors that may have plating damage, or fine intricate mechanisms. Much more care is needed when cleaning old or vintage pieces.

Last edited:
I tend to use 'Shower Bastard'. It easily removes scum, etc.
Makes my razors clean and gleamy (which is better than plain ol' shiny).
Quick spray on, leave for 1/2 hour or so (even a few hours...won't hurt).
Rinse with water, job done. Yeah, you can scrub with a brush if you need to get in amongst some OC teeth too.
Works great on old scummy, crusty vintage stuff too.
I also use it on my Gillettes with gold plating (gold wash) such as my NEW SC.
No harm done. Gold doesn't wash off!
https://cleaningproducts.net.nz/products/shower-bastard-2-litre-shower-cleaner

i just take mine apart right after every shave and clean/dry them with a paper towel.. takes just one minute and then dont need any further cleaning

I toss mine in the ultrasonic or use a philips sonicare tooth brush.

otherwise, I give it a good scrub on an Enjo all purpose cloth after rinsing. Seems to work!