Cold water shave attempt.

Chad

... had his first - 15/8/20
And fail.

Thought why not. Just like anything in the Internet if you search long enough you'll find some site that agrees with you.

Theory is skin tightens, razor cuts hair more efficiently as hair stands up better and skin is cool.

Well it started ok enough but the end result is razor burn and very uncomfortable shave. Will have to wait a few days to let it calm before I shave again. I'm not one that gets razor burn so it's certainly given different results.

Worth a try but I know now. It's not for me.

I’ve done it without any great problems. Horses for courses I suppose.

Now when it comes to shaving with your eyes closed ...

I have cold water showers 75% of the time as its so hot here, and shave without a mirror during the shower.
It's not that much harder to get a good shave.

And fail.

Thought why not. Just like anything in the Internet if you search long enough you'll find some site that agrees with you.

Theory is skin tightens, razor cuts hair more efficiently as hair stands up better and skin is cool.

Well it started ok enough but the end result is razor burn and very uncomfortable shave. Will have to wait a few days to let it calm before I shave again. I'm not one that gets razor burn so it's certainly given different results.

Worth a try but I know now. It's not for me.

I tried it for a few days , but no good for me either. A lot of irritation and the whole experience of shaving didn't feel right. A pity, because cold showers would be nice in this climate

I love cold water shaving all year around which help me with zero irritation issues throughout my whole shave, some wet shavers don’t like cold water shaved and they prefer warm water.

Whatever floats your boat, just stick to what’s works for you.

FYI the Case for Cold Water Shaving click here

100% cold water shaver here as well...you still have to do a proper prep though...

I started cold water shaving a few months ago I think. I love it. Was hesitant at first as I thought I’d need warm water to get a proper lather happening. Now it’s second nature to keep the mixer tap pointing to the cold side!
If it doesn’t work for some that is okay but my neck definitely appreciates the cooling water.

My prep and technique didn't change at all. The only variable from my daily shave was the water temp. Seems my skin didn't like that change.

Which is?
For me: washing my face twice with a highly moisturising and/or high glycerine soap and then face lathering. I assemble my razor/blade after lathering, so the lather sits on my face for a couple extra seconds.

For me: washing my face twice with a highly moisturising and/or high glycerine soap and then face lathering. I assemble my razor/blade after lathering, so the lather sits on my face for a couple extra seconds.
Which pre-soaps do you recommend?

Which pre-soaps do you recommend?
Many - I really like Occams crushed lime, but you could go for any bath soap out there that has no garbage in it and is made from glycerine and/or olive oil - they all work.
The idea is that first you wash of all the dirt from your face and with the second wash you start to hydrate the whiskers - but by using cold water your skin remains taut and is less prone to nicks...
Having said that: a decent technique AND good lather is by far the most important part of your shave...

The idea is that first you wash of all the dirt from your face and with the second wash you start to hydrate the whiskers
If someone wants some proof of this - wash your hair with your usual shampoo, then take half the amount of shampoo and wash hair again straight away. Notice it lather much easier and give a better clean. Then use your conditioner.

Those with dreadlocks need not worry about any of the above steps....

Having said that: a decent technique AND good lather is by far the most important part of your shave...
Oh hell yes!!!

What temperature range do you consider cold? Right now our cold, from the tap, is about 4 C and is definitely an enlightening experience for me.
Have cold shaved in Bathurst in winter near freezing pipes just the same as here in central QLD where the current tap temp in the mid 20c
It’s all in the lather I think
Love cold water shave in winter, see I’m still alive and still shaving

giphy.gif