Copaiba

Pbgoose

38258837744_ddac404c9a_c.jpg

Cooked up a new batch today - 'Copaiba'
Still searching for shave soap Nirvana. Have I found it here? Probably not, but I think it's going to be fun to use.
Ingredients: Stearic, Tallow (Beef), Castor Oil, Coconut Oil, Lanolin, Hemp Oil, Shea Butter, Tussah Silk, Glycerine, Kaolin Clay, KOH, NaOH, Filtered Water (RO), Essential Oils.
Essential Oils: Copaiba Oil (I think pronounced Koo-pie-ba), Sandalwood (Santalum Album), Clove Bud, Bergamot and Lime.
We came across Copaiba in our search for oil with therapeutic benefits. The interesting thing with this oil apart from it's therapeutic benefits is the scent, which straight out of the bottle is heavy, earthy, balsalmy and not that attractive but give it ten minutes and it turns into a sweet intoxicating scent that pervades the room. First time I smelt this I was in love. I keep some oils in my office and the office smells of Copaiba. It's like therapy every time you walk in the room. I hope I don't get sick of it as we're using it as part of a blend for our son so it's getting plenty of air time.
Too early to tell how it's going to develop in the soap but I think it's going to need some time.
As far as lathering immediately post cook...it lathered easily and looked really promising though a little disappointing as the lather was a drier foam than I'd hoped for instead of a slick cream with lots of sheen, but on the face it felt great, a thick creamy lather that I expect will shave well. Shave test will have to wait til tomorrow.

Can always rely on you for an interesting scent :)
Congrats on another cook!

Anyone else think capybara first lol?

38258837744_ddac404c9a_c.jpg

Cooked up a new batch today - 'Copaiba'
Still searching for shave soap Nirvana. Have I found it here? Probably not, but I think it's going to be fun to use.
Ingredients: Stearic, Tallow (Beef), Castor Oil, Coconut Oil, Lanolin, Hemp Oil, Shea Butter, Tussah Silk, Glycerine, Kaolin Clay, KOH, NaOH, Filtered Water (RO), Essential Oils.
Essential Oils: Copaiba Oil (I think pronounced Koo-pie-ba), Sandalwood (Santalum Album), Clove Bud, Bergamot and Lime.
We came across Copaiba in our search for oil with therapeutic benefits. The interesting thing with this oil apart from it's therapeutic benefits is the scent, which straight out of the bottle is heavy, earthy, balsalmy and not that attractive but give it ten minutes and it turns into a sweet intoxicating scent that pervades the room. First time I smelt this I was in love. I keep some oils in my office and the office smells of Copaiba. It's like therapy every time you walk in the room. I hope I don't get sick of it as we're using it as part of a blend for our son so it's getting plenty of air time.
Too early to tell how it's going to develop in the soap but I think it's going to need some time.
As far as lathering immediately post cook...it lathered easily and looked really promising though a little disappointing as the lather was a drier foam than I'd hoped for instead of a slick cream with lots of sheen, but on the face it felt great, a thick creamy lather that I expect will shave well. Shave test will have to wait til tomorrow.

It's fantastic you're experimenting with therapeutic oils beyond the usual suspects!

Looks like a great soap with an interesting fragrance composition.

I have not forgotten to call you either, I have just been flat chat with work and the AP Reserve stuff sending overseas as it winds up for the year I have not had the chance to do so - my apologies in this regard :)

Sample was used today - thanks @Pbgoose and your return package will arrive soon. I won't give a full rundown on this as it is merely a sample - admittedly generous but not a 'full product'. However, dot points are:
  • 'Soap' (Hard cream? Soft soap?) is damn thirsty. Loves water and I almost could not add enough.
  • Do not load it like you hate it - mistakes were made. Light loadings required. Treat as per B&M Reserve/Awesometown.
  • Scent: Hard to explain Copaiba unless you have smelt it, has rich earthy/resin tones and some elements of freshness trying to come through. Overall scenting, think a heavily dirty yet sweet-woody Vetiver with Sandalwood, plus some citrus. Came alive a bit more when lathered.
  • Performance - excellent in all areas except residual slickness, that could be my loading/water issues though. Thickest yoghurt I have ever had without applying Yoplait to my brush, and more cushion than a Plush Sofas outlet. Closeness of shave plus post feel was definitely world-class and it was a big surprise on a third-shave Gillette Platinum Plus. Finished with APR Monsta Myrtle for scent only, not because it was required.
I didn't get any foamy issues - once I got enough water into the brush then it literally exploded with micro-bubble lather. I see you have added some OO into later batches which might actually help. I have it open-lid curing as I want to see how it goes in a 'drier, harder' form.

Suggestions: I'd love to see this base in a proper hot process and the Bentonite removed, some adjustment in scent (minus clove for a start), and some attention paid to trying to get more residual slickness into it. But as it is, simply a bit of 'home cooked soap' hobby fun..... speechless.

Last edited: