coumarin

tullfan

2018 Sabbatical
I note that many articles have been written regarding Coumarin in personal care products,usually advising people to avoid anything containing this ingredient.
However most mainstreat producers like Taylors,Truefitt,Proraso et al still use this product,particularly in aftershave.
Is there any reliably sourced and current information regarding the use of Coumarin in personal care products.

I note that many articles have been written regarding Coumarin in personal care products,usually advising people to avoid anything containing this ingredient.

I would like some links to these articles please, I note that there have been many articles written on the dangers of aluminium in deodorants, and more alarmingly for public health, autism being caused by vaccines along with countless other examples of unsubstantiated rubbish.

Coumarin was first extracted in 1820 and has been subject to countless studies, it is a very old compound that is widely used in all manner of personal care, cleaning and laundry products at levels that scientific consensus has established are safe. The same rationale and methodology is adopted for tens of thousands of drugs and other compounds used in our daily lives be they for personal care, drugs you buy at a chemist, or those prescribed by a Dr.

Within the EU the IFRA certification prescribes that all potential allergens are disclosed on the packaging of the product in addition to the usage of compounds that are prescribed being equal to, or less than the regulated limits. All the shaving creams you have mentioned are manufactured in the UK/EU and therefore will list all potential allergens. If you look at any fragrances product for the laundry, cleaning or personal care that is of European origin you will find a list of such compounds. Common sense dictates that if you are prone to or experience an allergic reaction to a product or even a food, you discontinue use.

The current acceptable limits for Coumarin (and functional likes) are 1.6% per total volume for class 4 products under the IFRA 48th Amendments, with NICAS adopting the same consensus within Australia. Both organisations publish, amend and make available the current published research pertaining to the thousands of compounds used in perfumery and personal care products. You have the option of using these products based on the scientific evaluation of their effects, or in the alternative not doing so as a matter of personal choice.

@todras so why do we still use it. Is there not an alternative that has similar properties or is it so damn inexpensive that it is the choice of skin care companies? Vanilla scented with bitterness. Guess I need some for my morning coffee.

@todras so why do we still use it. Is there not an alternative that has similar properties or is it so damn inexpensive that it is the choice of skin care companies? Vanilla scented with bitterness. Guess I need some for my morning coffee.

There is no reason not to use it, 1.6% of the total is substantial in a design. Coumarin used solely as a fixitive is incredibly effective even at levels well below the allowed limit. It's not the only fixitive, and can seriously hinder and mute the top notes but used correctly it is very effective and therefore very common.

Coumarin is also used as it reflects the most desirable odorants of hay without the cost and variability of either Clover Abs or Hay Abs both of which are incredibly high in Coumarin and unfortunately all the other compounds that bring 'noise' to a perfume. It's a uniform molecule with several variants that all reflect subtle changes - some lean towards stronger vanilla, some are more sweet and so on.

I can think of 15 or so other compounds (out of the 26 on the list) that are substantially more restricted in concentration, and that are used far more often in skincare and perfume than Coumarin. To me it's just another highly useful compound that suits certain designs, but not others.

Thank you, great insight and knowledge once again (y)
Forgot about the hay note. Yes this explains it in a few of my aftershaves. Personally like it.