Creating the perfect lather

shaver_joe

ok so I've been shaving for 2 weeks so I'm relatively new to all this. I can never seem to get a good lather what I do is I add a drop of water in the bowl swirl my brush in some soap and mix and nothing much really happens. Can anyone please tell me what I'm doing wrong and offer some helpful hints and tips would be great

Personally, I'd ditch the bowl; it's an extra step that prevents you from getting to see and feel how it's building.

First get your brush damp, not sopping wet. Doesn't matter what kind of brush it is, damp works with all of them. So soak and squeeze a bit. Get the top of your soap wet, if using a puck. That puts moisture at the brush tips. Swirl til it loads up and looks thick and creamy. Add a few drops of water if needed. Then start face lathering and dip in water to build it up.

If using cream instead of soap, use more cream to start with.

Soap and cream will take more water than you think to get to that bubble-less, creamy lather you need. But you need to start with less water and add as you go. It's an emulsion process; if your brush is too wet, or you add too much at the beginning, you get soggy bubbles that go nowhere.

It sounds more difficult in print that it is. Practice without needing to shave. Soap costs next to nothing.

Which soap are you using?

When I first started, I had the same problem as you...turned out the soap was a dud...bath soap with added clay and badged as a shaving soap!

Once i got a proper soap, I was loading way too much as I was used to loading the dud soap for a long time :D

Try using cream instead at first. Much easier to deal with. I started with TOBS Sandalwood - still think it's a great cream. @nav1 is right - it could be bad soap. The first soap I tried after TOBS cream was Bath & Soul and I couldn't make later from it. I thought it was my technique, but it was bad soap. Also some soaps are much difficult to lather. Mike's Natural Soap. Not a good start for newbie, but the soap is great. So start with creams, perfect the technique for making lather, then move to soaps easy to lather (Fine, Saponificio, Valobra, Arko, Cella, Haslinger), then start exploring soaps require more work (B&M, Saver Heaven etc), then continue with stuff like Mike's etc. If you simply pick up a soap you will never know if it's a soap problem or your technique. I wish someone said that to me when I started shaving early this year. It would save me time, money and my skin. :)

Personally I use this method and face lather... seems to work for me (he has a couple of videos)

Absolutely THIS!

Together with his second video the only thing you need to know about GREAT lather - everything else is just a waste of time