Czar's original vodka - first imressions after finding a bottle cheap down the road

Monsta_AU

...can I interest you in some vintage blades?
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Grand Society
Went for a walk down to a local bottle shop, which is more wine-related and stocks museum bottles as well as imports of various rather different wine areas (Argentina especially). I happened to spot this bottle:

c30bf2cd-2aa9-43d9-a3ff-f4af5a9d5ef8.jpg

Pricing was $40... I felt it was probably a bit steep, but checking the back it is distilled by Ladoga, who are a major Russian distiller in St Petersburg - home of our much loved Gillette Dark Platinums, White Platinums and Silver Blues.

I bought it untasted and without tasting notes - thought it would be worth giving it a try. And lets face it, Smirnoff at the same place was $40 per bottle so I figured this must be better than that.

First taste was done about 2/3rds chilled, definitely sub-zero but not -18c. Has a definite aroma of citrus and almost a sweet scent. Downed a shot and there was a controlled hit of Russian ethanol from Winter Wheat, however not much burn. Mouthfeel was clean, and then the flavours leapt forward - definite lime notes there along with two notches of sweetness and a slightly powdery finish. It reminded me of the finish of Heavy Water but not quite so 'icing sugar'. It was much more refined.

Leaping online to find out more of this previously unknown-to-me drop, I found some tasting notes.

Czar's Premium is made at Ladoga's "gift" production line in St. Petersburg from premium hard-wheat alcohol and soft Lake Ladoga water. A lime tree flower infusion and lime tree honey are added for flavour.

Before bottling, Czar's Vodka is allowed to settle for a while to develop a more mellow taste.

That addition of honey explains the slight sweetness then! Not sure I would have said Lime Flower Infusion, just a slight essence, possibly peel extract.

Overall an enjoyable drop and one I will buy again if presented with it for $40. Some local retailers are asking $45 for which I would be looking at Ketel One or pushing the budget to a bottle of Absolut Elyx from Uncle Dan for $49.95.

Last edited: