Darwin Razors

todras

est Français pour après-rasage
In Memoriam
2019 Charity Auction Winner
Menth Dealer
I came across these chaps a while back while looking for new soaps, in the past few months they have been developing/planning a Darwin prototype and have just recently posted the first iteration so I thought I would make a post in case anyone was interested.

They do a range of nice French soaps and aftershaves which is what interests me more, although the postage to Australia is an absolute killer!

0XjV64W.jpg

I snatched this from their Instagram and it's a picture of the first polished Darwin prototypes (rasoirsdarwin on instagram) and they also have a website up where you can see the range of their soaps and aftershaves and no doubt get a little more information.

It's kind of strange that a company's brand is based entirely on another company's brand and nobody sees this as odd. I see a market there I'll just literally copy it, name and all.

Like if Coca-Cola didn't manufacture coke any more and someone decide to just make it without buying the rights for it and labelled it the same.

Wouldn't someone own the rights to it or legally has this right been disminish by a time stature?
What if Douglas Smythe from PAA tired this?

I'm not fussed on them making Darwin copies and soaps but forgeries of the original razor and marketing them as so make me uneasy.
Full disclosure, I own these original razors and use them and do not want them devalued by exact clones.

Last edited:
Anyone know what happened to the original Darwin razor company?
As far as rights goes that is.

I'm with @RustyBlade !

Buy the real deal or go home :)

Would you believe an Australian company may own the rights to the brand name? :LOL:
See if you can follow the trail here

Though being realistic the rights maybe anywhere :(

That article was great!

In relation to the law and who owns the patent rights currently (I'm too lazy to search) head over to IP Aust and search the individual countries for the Darwin Patent (if it was patented). The patent may have expired long ago, or simply not have been filed in France under Madrid protocols or the current company may have bought the rights. My first port of call is always the US, but in this case I would search the EU countries first given the origin of the razor.

Just as a friendly heads up: the most common mistake people make with IP is that a patent, when filed and accepted, only offers you a monopoly in the country in which it was filed. So if I invent a razor, establish it is novel and unique (required to obtain a patent) and want to protect my design (of the razor) I need to file a patent in each country I want it protected. The last time I did any IP it was around $1,900+ to file in Australia and around $5,500 to file in the US, then there is all the European countries so the inventors of the razor may not have had the funds to do so, or historically it was not possible. IP law is very expensive, most modern companies who are small simply cannot afford to protect their work across all the jurisdictions.

It would not surprise me one iota if Yaquii brush co or another Chinese manufacturing concern starts making Darwins if the patent has expired and they sense a market want, they did so recently with one of the PAA designs (which was based off an expired patent and not their own design), and they did so legally to.

Would you believe an Australian company may own the rights to the brand name?

Do a Trademark search at IP Australia to confirm this definitively.

Last edited:
Does that mean these guys are breaking the law?

I'd dump yours now mate, take what you can get before they bottom out altogether.

In fact, Ill give you $2000 right now for your Darwin out of the kindness of my heart :)

FTFY :)

@todras was more thinking the 'name' or trade mark was abused as the name and font is being replicated. Would say the patent for the physical design was long expired.

@todras was more thinking the 'name' or trade mark was abused as the name and font is being replicated. Would say the patent for the physical design was long expired.

The TM made have expired or may not be enforced and therefore forfeited, I am not sure though as it takes a fair bit of searching for TM's and so on. Was more curious than anything really :)