DE Blade Recommendation

TomG

Gentleman Shaver from WA ...
2020 Charity Auction Winner
Hi all.
Just about got all the components together for my son's Wet Shaving Starter Kit.
I will include maybe 5-10 different blade options for him to experiment with. I have most modern blades in my stash.
The Razor is a Merkur 34C donated by @Drubbing.
Would appreciate recommendations on member's experiences with blades that match well with this razor.
Cheers.

@TomG I would get your son on either Voskhod or Derby depends how he feels going for a much sharper and smoother blade like Polsilver Super Iridium, Gillette Silver Blue or Perma-Sharp Super.

A lot of wet shavers say Wilkinson Sword from Germany are average smoothness, average sharpness, average longevity 2-5 shaves. Very much a middle of the road blade.

I guess my question would first be how thick is his hair growth? I feel like the characteristics of the folicals will determined the correct blade(s) to use.

If he has dense growth then I would steer well clear of any dull blades that are going to cause and tugging, I would put Derby in that category.

There is another aspect as well and that is skin type, does he have a soft skin or is it more on the lumberjack side of things?

I totally agree with
@Drubbing in regards to blades but will add to that and suggest Gillette greens and Gillette nacet.
I find Astra platinums to be an interesting starting point as I have seen many people start on them as their first blade, regardless of the quality of shave they may have had they are still actively DE shaving so I guess that has to account for something. :)

I think the most important thing is to guide him and inform that its about beard reduction, angles, lightness of touch... these are all things that are in complete contrast to cartridge shaving.
Id go so far as to say to honour a 2 shaves per blade cycle. In the past I would have tried to use the same blade for a full week which would cause a lot of problems down the road but I no longer do that and things have been great.

Life's too short to be frugal with blades. ;)