DE repairs for Vintage Razors

Hi, had a scan of the forum and couldn't see anything really mentioned, but does anyone here is Australia do a service, repair and re-plating service for older razors?

If so could someone let me know, as i am currently trying to find a 1955 Gillette SS razor, that my dad used to use but no longer does (his dad bought it the year he was born and gave it to him when he started shaving) and would like to see if i could get it serviced and re-plated for occasional use/display.

TIA

Brendan

Mark1966

Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
Brendan

Repairs (Servicing) / Polishing / Replating are three seperate activities.

Our very own @FatBoy58 is reknown for his skills in doing repairs and minor adjustments and restoration level polishing. I'm sure he will be along to share links to some before and after pics.

Replating is discussed in a number of threads - Replating Service and Silvergleam Replating Service for adjustables with Silvergleam in Sydney

The overseas alternatives are places like Razor Emporium - http://www.razoremporium.com/services

alfredus

Auctioneer-in-Chief + organises many group buys
Staff member
Site Moderator
State Convenor - SA
Grand Society
Group Buy Caporegime
Charity Auction Team
I can highly recommend Dave from Restored Razors:
http://www.restoredrazors.com/index.php?route=common/home

He migrated from the UK to NZ a couple of years ago and used the be the No1 replater for many on YKW. He did once a stellar job on an Eclipse for me. Super friendly and shipping to/from NZ is almost the same as domestic prices.

Mark1966

Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail

Wilkshire13

The Torch Whisperer

Chad

... had his first - 15/8/20
@lastkey FatBot58 won't reply as that account isn't active any more. I've recently sent off a vintage Gillette New to Carroll Electroplating in Tullamarine VIC http://www.carrollelectro.com.au/. I'll let you know how it turns out
I'd reached out to them in the past and they declined to do a razor. Interested to see how it comes out and cost.

Thanks. Let see the result. I contacted Dave in NZ. The workmanship is 95 NZD + 55AUD postage (both sides, here and return) so thinking if I should spend 150$ on Red Tip Rocket

Mark1966

Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail