DE repairs for Vintage Razors

Brendan

Hi, had a scan of the forum and couldn't see anything really mentioned, but does anyone here is Australia do a service, repair and re-plating service for older razors?

If so could someone let me know, as i am currently trying to find a 1955 Gillette SS razor, that my dad used to use but no longer does (his dad bought it the year he was born and gave it to him when he started shaving) and would like to see if i could get it serviced and re-plated for occasional use/display.

TIA

Brendan

Brendan

Repairs (Servicing) / Polishing / Replating are three seperate activities.

Our very own @FatBoy58 is reknown for his skills in doing repairs and minor adjustments and restoration level polishing. I'm sure he will be along to share links to some before and after pics.

Replating is discussed in a number of threads - Replating Service and Silvergleam Replating Service for adjustables with Silvergleam in Sydney

The overseas alternatives are places like Razor Emporium - http://www.razoremporium.com/services

I can highly recommend Dave from Restored Razors:
http://www.restoredrazors.com/index.php?route=common/home

He migrated from the UK to NZ a couple of years ago and used the be the No1 replater for many on YKW. He did once a stellar job on an Eclipse for me. Super friendly and shipping to/from NZ is almost the same as domestic prices.

Before & After Example
6VHmXIP.jpg

raTICL0.jpg

Thanks. Let see the result. I contacted Dave in NZ. The workmanship is 95 NZD + 55AUD postage (both sides, here and return) so thinking if I should spend 150$ on Red Tip Rocket

I’m considering sending a Gillette Slim to Razor Emporium for replating. They’ve got a special running at the moment.
I think I saw somebody comment on the Rhodium plating being a bit ordinary on their razor a few weeks ago.
Interested in peoples experiences with Rhodium plating from Razor Emporium.
I had Fatboy Rhodium plated a few years ago and am mostly happy with how its wearing.

BzGAP0q.jpg

Gillette Slim 3rd Quarter 1963 Rhodium plated - Revamped @Razor Emporium
This is the Slim I referred in the previous post. I just received it back from Razor Emporium. Pretty happy with the work.
My Father in Law gave me this razor a few years ago and I've had it in mind to revamp at some stage but have always baulked at the cost. Razor Emporium had a sale on their services so I jumped at the chance to get it done. The razor was in pretty good shape for it's age though I was surprised at how pitted the doors looked under magnification prior to revamp.
This is the only vintage razor I'm aware of from family so pretty happy to have scored it. My Father in Law thinks he should have a straight razor somewhere but hasn't seen it since their last move so I'm hoping that turns up at some stage.
My Father in Law is 89 and only uses carts these days. I'm looking forward to showing him his old razor and seeing if he's up to trying a shave with it.