December 2015 Acquisitions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Osman when did you order?
I ordered Monday and received today as well :)

A treat just before Xmas!
XE6sBCW.jpg

Joined the ranks of The Stray Whisker Stoked.

10392080_10204041319911774_1506546526681918465_n.jpg

Love a store like Con's tempting as it all is, it's all top shelf stuff so you buy discerningly. Quality, my friends, quality. All the way from the box, through the wrap, to the goodies and complementaries within.

12376429_10204041320151780_8015669220541291636_n.jpg

Very happy and will shop there again without hesitation.
...hate admitting @filobiblic might have been right, but @shavetheman hurry up with that AS Balm production already!

Very happy and will shop there again without hesitation.
...hate admitting @filobiblic might have been right, but @shavetheman hurry up with that AS Balm production already!
I thought you were going to say the store was well worth waiting for... [emoji38]

I love April the First :p

Just bought this 1958 Fat Boy from the bay. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111857958361 (may need to scroll down to see pics)
Not the best price, and unsure of the quality, but one of the few sellers that doesn't charge stupid prices for shipping. A$75 landed I can live with.
Any thoughts on this? Also, any idea where I can send it here in Aus if it needs a bit of tweaking or a replate?

Just bought this 1958 Fat Boy from the bay. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111857958361 (may need to scroll down to see pics)
Not the best price, and unsure of the quality, but one of the few sellers that doesn't charge stupid prices for shipping. A$75 landed I can live with.
Any thoughts on this? Also, any idea where I can send it here in Aus if it needs a bit of tweaking or a replate?

You got yourself a very nice deal. A very nice deal. If you're on Facebook then look up a guy by the name of Nils Long. He's a bit of a Fatboy enthusiast who has a bit of a passion for cleaning up these razors. PM me if you're not on Facebook and I will hook you up. He's from Melbourne, like yourself. @filobiblic knows of someone who can do the re-plate but it looks in very good condition anyway.

What Lifesapeach said!

@Mark1966 is the person you want to ask around here if you want a good evaluation pre or post purchase or for some guidance. He has experience with his collection of a couple of razors (I'm sure he can post links :) ).

I don't believe from what I've read, there's anywhere in Aus that people would trust replating an adjustable. The closest and best I have been able to find is Dave at restoredrazors in NZ. You'd be up for around $100 Aud returned for Nickel, more for rhodium ($70-80 more). They offer minor adjustments etc as well.

That is a pretty OK price landed on a Fatboy. You can get better if you are lucky but it is decent buy at the price.

Usual crappy eBay pictures but looks in pretty decent shape - paint missing from numbers but this is only cosmetic. I've not have dealings with him but having seen his work Nils would be my recommendation on restoration - not sure if he replates though or just cleans? Being a first year (1958) they are a little easier to disassemble from memory.

Welcome to the world of vintage razors BTW - think Hotel California!

Usual crappy eBay pictures but looks in pretty decent shape - paint missing from numbers but this is only cosmetic. I've not have dealings with him but having seen his work Nils would be my recommendation on restoration - not sure if he replates though or just cleans? Being a first year (1958) they are a little easier to disassemble from memory.
Nils cleans very well. I think he must use an ultrasonic cleaner. He doesn't replate at all.

I don't believe from what I've read, there's anywhere in Aus that people would trust replating an adjustable. The closest and best I have been able to find is Dave at restoredrazors in NZ. You'd be up for around $100 Aud returned for Nickel, more for rhodium ($70-80 more). They offer minor adjustments etc as well.
We have a thread here on local replating @Korbz and there's at least one here in Sydney (Silvergleam) that has replated in the past year: a Gold Aristocrat ($50), a Rhodium Eclipse Red Ring ($80), a Rhodium Fat Handle Tech ($50) and a Rhodium FatBoy ($50). All well under $100 and all very nicely done. The FB was disassembled and reassembled by Tim at SG. 2 weeks is the timeframe taken. Postage would be extra but a few of the blokes here live close by to the shop.

I also believe (according to @alfredus) that Dave doesn't do replating anymore? I could be wrong on this...

Status
Not open for further replies.