DIY brush, source for knots?

Alshain

Evening,

I've been looking into brushes and keep thinking "I bet I could knock a handle up on the lathe in about 10 minutes". Which lead to research and the discovery of knots. DIY brushes here we come!

I found a few places that sell a variety of knots, has anyone bought from thegoldennib? If so any thoughts on the different grade/versions of knots they sell?

I have some nice pieces of dense timber that would make fantastic handles. And shaving can substitute another one of my hobbies...

Cheers, Alshain

I've not tried their knots, however they have been used in some custom brushes over the time with positive reviews, and they do seem to attract good mentions.

Are you set on using a particular type of knot (e.g. badger, boar, synthetic, horse)?

I'd also suggest checking out Nathan Clark's store Envy Shave ... I'm still in love with my plissoft knot (synthetic) vs. ubersoft style though (can get plissoft through maggards). Just to add more choices lol

The TGN finest (2-band badger) is supposed to be a solid badger knot and as @Korbz pointed out, the Envy White gets rave reviews (I have one coming in).

Of course Shavemac sell their knots individually - but they are not the cheapest...

There is a flood of (good) synthetics around at the moment. Again Nathan Clark gets great reviews...

For boar and horse I fear the best option is to buy a brush and destroy the handle (for a good knot that is)

Quick update. Received the brushes. Removed the remains of the brush bristles using a utility knife.
50802646921_afb987c160.jpg

Last edited:
Managed to remove the bottom on 2 of the brushes. (1 Ever Ready and 1 Rubberset) The others seem pretty stuck so I will leave those for the time being. You can see the underside of the shelf which I will have to drill through so i can fit a decent knot. You can see what the top looks like on the Rubberset in the background. I will be using a Dremel 115 bit and the Dremel drill press with a small vice to carefully drill this out. The Rubberset looks with closer inspecting to be a shellac of sorts. While the Ever Ready is a white material that is easily scored.
50802646896_6ec2e278c6.jpg

The only extra thing I might have to do is stablise the crack in the red handle Ever Ready. I'll see how that goes. If I need to I can add some JB Weld PlasticWeld Epoxy.
50802907376_43d84a4bec_z.jpg

Glad that they all arrived safe and sound - you see to have done a fine job on them so far!

That crack wasn't on this one when it arrived?

Glad that they all arrived safe and sound - you see to have done a fine job on them so far!

That crack wasn't on this one when it arrived?

Hi Mark,

Yep moving along. Next a few pilot holes with a drill and then removal of the knot.

The crack was in the 1st original listing photo, I didn't pick it up them but when I went back to look it was visible.

Hi Mark,

Yep moving along. Next a few pilot holes with a drill and then removal of the knot.

The crack was in the 1st original listing photo, I didn't pick it up them but when I went back to look it was visible.

Yep, I can jsut see it faintly now you mention it too. Sorry - didn't notice it earlier :(

Yep, I can jsut see it faintly now you mention it too. Sorry - didn't notice it earlier :(
Cheers Mark for the refund on the Ever Ready red brush. Given the good deal I got on the brushes I wasn't after a consideration but Mark threw me a refund anyway, I will start the restorations with that brush. Just have to get a new PPE mask before I start, already good for eye protection. Also as an aside I am not going to hold the brush while I drill out the old knots, its going in a vice. Less chance of damage to me and or the brush.