Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
Been waiting for this for a while, see story here.

DE is still cheaper though

We ARE saving money aren't we?

/Looks at vintage Gillette collection (much smaller than Mark's, but enough for a different razor for every day of the month).
/Looks at various brushes, soaps, creams
/Looks at blade stockpile that will last nearly 10 years

:laugh:

If I look at things LONG term, then I'm still saving money. Plus, the vintage Gillettes are an investment as much as anything (that's my story, and I'm sticking to it!)

Been waiting for this for a while, see story here.

DE is still cheaper though

A dollar/month? Not a hope for me and I'm pretty middle of the road when it comes to outlay. I guess if I had one razor, a load of cheap DE blades, one drug store boar brush and used one brand of cheap soap I'd be better off.

They might be spending less money but they're a pretty boring bunch. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Mark,

Are you really able to say that with a straight face? Now Really? :p

I know that's the line we play at SWMBO but c'mon! LOL

Well I can say it but does anybody believe me???

I don't even bother trying that with my wife - but I now NEVER complain about shoes, bags etc etc etc

Mark,

Are you really able to say that with a straight face? Now Really? :p

I know that's the line we play at SWMBO but c'mon! LOL

Poor ol' Mark suffers from a bit of self doubt occassionally. He needs encouragement. His better half has heard it all before too and just nods now and then when he informs her he's bought the latest quadruple plated Gillette thingemejiggle and has lost it somewhere in the garage.

Last edited:
Yeah those blues pills didn't work at all :sad2:

Poor ol' Mark suffers from a bit of self doubt occassionally. He needs encouragement. His better half has heard it all before too and just nods now and then when he informs her he's bought the latest quadruple pated Gillette thingemejiggle and has lost it somewhere in the garage.

Whilst Mark's RAD bit harder and longer than mine did, I got most if not all the AD's at once (and hard) when starting out!

SAD
RAD
SBAD
RBAD

Most of those have calmed down, and I havent bought much in the last year, but I have come down with a nasty case of SRAD in the last few months, curbed only by lack of spare funds! a 4.5month old daughter will do that!

If I had gone to a Barber for a shave everyday for the last ? years I might be a little ahead by now!
But it's more than just saving money,...it's the journey not the destination that matters.

Whilst Mark's RAD bit harder and longer than mine did, I got most if not all the AD's at once (and hard) when starting out!

SAD
RAD
SBAD
RBAD

Most of those have calmed down, and I havent bought much in the last year, but I have come down with a nasty case of SRAD in the last few months, curbed only by lack of spare funds! a 4.5month old daughter will do that!

It can be pretty addictive. Thankfully I got in to SEs pretty quickly. Not much choice in blades. Limited number of razors and not bogged up with collectors. And I preferred rebuilding my own brushes which isn't all that cheap to do but still.... And I like shave sticks which gives a pretty limited choice of soaps too. By the time I got all these sorted I got over the addictions without too much damage and with only a drawer or two full of gear I don't use rather than the spare room that a lot of people seem to fill up. But more than anything I'm not a collector of things. Use it or lose it is my motto. Having said that my family think I'm completely off my rocker. So it's all relative.

I imagine straights can be very addictive. There are just so many really nice looking ones out there.