Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
I received my Dorco Pace 7 today, the world's FIRST seven blade razor, the (current) pinnacle of modern technology. I've never used more than a twin blade before and was curious, wanting to give this beast a try.

Of course I'm not the first to try the Pace 7 so I wondered how I could make a review different, thus this thread was born!

Dorco Pace 7 vs Gillette 1903/04 (Pat App For) Double Ring. The latest 2015 tech vs the original Gillette safety razor - or at least as close as I can get.

Comparing the packaging first -

Hmmm, think I'm giving this to the Gillette.

The combatants -

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ziVztz]

Closer look at those seven blades -

Initially I will be using a Personna Lab Blue, my standard test blade, in the Double Ring. These modern blades are thinner and hang out the ends a little. I'm not using a shim as some people do either.

The process will be to shave one half of my face with each - swapping side each morning.

How do they compare? Well you will have to come back in the morning and find out![/url]

Can't wait to see your findings! :) I too have been dabbling with Multi-Cart razors again to the dismay of many!
I've gone as far as using the Gilette Fusion, Mach3, Dollar Shave Club (mid and top end) and the Schick Ultra Plus razors.
This was more of an experiment for myself personally, as having attended the Royal Melbourne Show, the guys were a bit hesitant about using the soap with their multi-blade carts.

But eager to see how you go :)

This was more of an experiment for myself personally, as having attended the Royal Melbourne Show, the guys were a bit hesitant about using the soap with their multi-blade carts.

In the name of research. I'm inclined to believe your neutrality @Anthony a bit more than @Mark1966. You want to sell your product to both camps whereas if the new multi, multi, multi-blade razor wins the showdown, @Mark1966 will have a worthless collection of metal and he'd have to give them all away.

GO THE NEW PLASTIC THING. Well if you want a new home for some of that scrap metal you now own @Mark1966 ... ... ...

Can't wait to see your findings! :) I too have been dabbling with Multi-Cart razors again to the dismay of many!
I've gone as far as using the Gilette Fusion, Mach3, Dollar Shave Club (mid and top end) and the Schick Ultra Plus razors.

I am approaching this with an open mind as I've never tried a 3/4/5 blade cart so this is whole new territory for me.

I still use a twin blade cart when I travel and find that the results have improved dramatically since converting to DE. I can understand the concerns about soaps from cart users as I did find some of the thicker lathers seemed to clog the twin blade at times.

The older Gillette OCs are also fairly aggressive, partly as they were designed for a thicker blade so it is feasible that the 7 blades will be smoother - especially with a pivoting head. I'm sure that you would LOVE that @Dale.Whiley !

If you want to try the 7 blade @Anthony see this thread - http://paste-and-cut.com.au/community/threads/worlds-first-any-takers.2045/

Happy to have somebody else give it a run!

- especially with a pivoting head. I'm sure that you would LOVE that @Dale.Whiley !

2 issues I have with multiblades.

1. I not real good with large numbers. I find that from 2 up I get a bit vague with keeping them in their correct order.

2. My wife and I tried one of those moving razor drum/pivoting head, thinga-me-bobs at the shopping centre the other night and just couldn't figure what the whole point was.

Nah @Mark1966, I don't think so. I'm more of a scrap metal collector; helping you out with all your recently aquired "scrap" metal.

On a serious note though, I really do like the look of the Fatboy's. Did they make them in '63, August quarter?

Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson Duke
Soap/Cream: B&M Roam
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve

Both razors are very different to the Weber PH on bulldog handle I've been using most recently!

I started with the DR tentatively and cautiously. I know that these can bite.

The DRs and Old Types generally I don't tend to find a comfortable shave and it is hard to get the angle right. I managed a couple of small nicks, nothing major though.

My left side of the face and around the chin was the DR, right side and under the nose the Dorco. My regular routine is North -> South and then South -> North with a touch up around the jawline.

The Dorco felt something completely different. You are not shaving with a single line of contact in a sharp blade but dragging a blade deck around your face! It actually reminded me of using some of those floor mops with the microfibre towels attached!

I must say though the pivoting head does make it easy with the Dorco. Certainly picking up the two with both as 'new' shaving approaches given their unfamiliarity I'm going to have to give this to the Dorco for ease of use and comfort.

Post shave rubbing against the grain the results for both are s-m-o-o-t-h, great shaves, BUT there are a couple of patches which I missed with the DR. Once again I think I'm going to have to give it to the Dorco.

Beginners luck? Maybe. Tomorrow we will find out more!

Day One Verdict: The Dorco Pace 7

Last edited:
Dear oh dear. How shocking. You, particularly you being the collector of all things traditional, are supposed to say that it left your face full of all those mysterious "razor bumps" and ingrown hairs and god knows what other horrors. You should be ashamed of yourself even considering giving the Dorco the nod over King Gillettes first ever razor. I trust you haven't posted this over at B&B. You'll get f........ lynched.

And, as for bagging soaps because they clog up the blades..........I'm speechless.

Last edited:
@Mark1966 have you considered the OneBlade with the pivoting head? Have read some good reviews and doesn't cost much more than a minty #15 or #16 these days ;)

I guess you can't rely on published data. Two years of production! Hence the inflated prices. Here I was thinking that they're so well regarded solely because of how they shave not also due to rarity.

Well from Q3 1958 (I have one) to some time in 1961 - but MILLIONS were made

@Mark1966 have you considered the OneBlade with the pivoting head? Have read some good reviews and doesn't cost much more than a minty #15 or #16 these days ;)

Never heard of it ???

Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: Le Pere Lucien Natural Shaving Soap
Aftershave: Le Pere Lucien Artisan Aftershave Lotion

Well here we are, day two. The Dorco on the left side of my face and DR on the right.

I mentioned the difference in feel to the Weber Polished Head on Bulldog Handle I'd been using previously for a couple of months. The Weber weighs in north of 80g and has a fairly stout handle. In contrast the DR handle is thin and total weight is 50g. The Dorco is 46g with a weird plastic sculpted handle - altogether different!

I measured the 'blade deck' on the Dorco as well. The seven blades themselves are spread across 5mm but the whole 'deck' is some 15mm. By way of contrast the head cap on the DR is 19mm - but you are not attempting to drag that whole surface across your face!

The result for today. The DR was definitely more 'dialled in' than yesterday. No nicks and post shave rubbing against the grain was s-m-o-o-t-h, great BBS shave.

After the results yesterday with the Dorco I disengaged the brain and just dragged the thing around my face without any attempt at good technique, as I think many users would actually do. Two passes again and no nicks BUT there are a couple of patches which I missed both around the jawline and on the cheeks where I hadn't stretched the skin and been careful to ensure contact. Obviously it slipped here. In fact after typing this I'm going back to finish up.

The LPL Soap and Aftershave are outstanding as usual!

Day Two Verdict: The 1903/04 Double Ring

Last edited: