DOTD! What are y'all drinking on today.

Monsta_AU

...can I interest you in some vintage blades?
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Grand Society
I might have to be pointed in the right direction.

I have had scotch but to me I like the flavour of bourbon better
It's only barley that has been malted and dried via peat firing which will have the smoky character. I used to hate it too but now prefer at least a tiny whisp of smoke.

There is plenty of non-peated scotch out there. Glenmorangie is an easy to get one which is not expensive. Glengoyne is another good one.

Then you have Bunnahabbain which gets 1-2ppm of peat from the water they use, but the maltings itself is unpeated.

Errm, you know what we would have to pay on the import duty alone?

Better off getting a private cask locally - maybe from Black Gate. Soon as you import it you are up for $80/litre (pure ethanol) duty as a private citizen...

Mark1966

...when the General talks
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner

Better off getting a private cask locally - maybe from Black Gate. Soon as you import it you are up for $80/litre (pure ethanol) duty as a private citizen...
Don't forget that Eggs is in the NT Joel - he is probably thinking that we set up a still somewhere ...

eggbert

is full of Vision Collision
2018 Sabbatical
2017 Sabbatical
Da Menth Heads

For some reason I thought it was an Aussie distillery. Plus it was really said tongue in cheek as by the time it is ready for drinking who knows where the investors would be.

Lego

Tonight, my local bottlo hosted a Glenfiddich tasting night. The Aust-NZ brand embassador was an enlightening speaker, covering brand history, distillation info, and interesting trivia.

We had the pleasure of sampling 6 different whiskeys - 12yo 15yo 18yo IPA XX and 21, along with delicious antipasto platters from the local Italian restaurant.

Starting with the 12 then progressing though the ranks though to the 21. As expected, the 12 was the roughest and the 21 was the smoothest. But my favourite was the XX - the body, the flavour, the note and the after taste on the palette - just like a sweet kiss.

A thoroughly enjoyable evening. If your local bottlo hosts a whisky tasting night, get on it!