DOTD! What are y'all drinking on today.

OUL3jsE.jpg

I have been on a Wild Turkey kick lately.

Been drinking Russell Reserve 10 year Old and Russell Reserve Single Barell, both are great bourbons and well priced.

Best bourbon for me is Blanton's -- all the range is great and very good value compared to what they can obtain or pay for in the USA

I have been on a Wild Turkey kick lately.

Been drinking Russell Reserve 10 year Old and Russell Reserve Single Barell, both are great bourbons and well priced.

Best bourbon for me is Blanton's -- all the range is great and very good value compared to what they can obtain or pay for in the USA
I want to like bourbons, but find that most are a bit too one dimensional for my tastes. People keep telling me that the more expensive ones are better, but I've not seen enough from the ones I have tried to want to potentially throw good money after bad. I have a couple I don't mind (WT101, Makers 46), but generally for the price I get a lot more out of whisky than I do whiskey.

I also try not to buy any spirits that have been intentionally watered down in Australia to make higher profits so a lot of the offerings are out for me.

I have an Elijah Craig 12 gathering dust on my shelves - is that worth opening up, or should I just flip it in a bit once all the 12YO stocks have gone?

I want to like bourbons, but find that most are a bit too one dimensional for my tastes. People keep telling me that the more expensive ones are better, but I've not seen enough from the ones I have tried to want to potentially throw good money after bad. I have a couple I don't mind (WT101, Makers 46), but generally for the price I get a lot more out of whisky than I do whiskey.

I also try not to buy any spirits that have been intentionally watered down in Australia to make higher profits so a lot of the offerings are out for me.

I have an Elijah Craig 12 gathering dust on my shelves - is that worth opening up, or should I just flip it in a bit once all the 12YO stocks have gone?

The main reason I don't like many Scotch Whiskeys is I hate the smoke notes (I don't smoke and I don't want my drink to taste like smoke).

WT101, Makers 46, Blanton's yellow label, Russell Reserve SB, Makers 46, Eagle Rare 10 year, Russell Reserve 10 Year are my go to bourbons. All reasonably affordable and all at the same proof they are in the US market.

I like you @eggbert have the same problem that we get far too watered down bourbons. I think it is for Tax purposes (they pay tax on the % of alcohol) Buffalo Trace, Makers Mark, Jim Beam White (watered down so much it doesn't classify as Bourbon under the american rules) and others is a shame as for example Buffalo Trace 45% is so much better than their 40% we get here.

If you want so more expensive bourbons go the Blanton's Gold and Blanton's Straight from the Barrel both are great bourbons.

As for your Elijah Craig 12 year old I would drink it but I like the taste. As for it's current value I know of a store that still has them in stock for $92.

As for your Elijah Craig 12 year old I would drink it but I like the taste. As for it's current value I know of a store that still has them in stock for $92.
I looked them up on TWL and found that price. But I know those are pretty much the last stocks available - it was discontinued 2 years ago according to the guys on the whisky vault youtube channel.
Got to say at first I hated the smokey whiskies too, but now prefer their complexity compared to most of the standard sherried whiskies.

Not ALL scotch whisky has smoke notes or taste like smoke, IF, you know where to look 👀

I might have to be pointed in the right direction.

I have had scotch but to me I like the flavour of bourbon better

Nice little squall here, enjoying the shower.
Decided to open the Elijah Craig 12, and it's head and shoulders better than any other American whiskey I've tried yet.
Id still go a $90 scotch over it, but it's a much better bourbon than I've tried so far.
The red and white dots are lightning strikes
53584731_10214635102813050_7056407181704298496_o.jpg

Nice little squall here, enjoying the shower.
Decided to open the Elijah Craig 12, and it's head and shoulders better than any other American whiskey I've tried yet.
Id still go a $90 scotch over it, but it's a much better bourbon than I've tried so far.
The red and white dots are lightning strikes
53584731_10214635102813050_7056407181704298496_o.jpg

Looks a good storm.

Glad you like the Elijah Craig, I am told their Barrell Proof is an amazing bourbon.

You should try Bookers if you can find it about 62% but for me is well balanced and an amazing drop

Looks a good storm.

Glad you like the Elijah Craig, I am told their Barrell Proof is an amazing bourbon.

You should try Bookers if you can find it about 62% but for me is well balanced and an amazing drop
Not much Bookers around at the moment. TheWhiskyList only shows it available from one website, and I last saw it locally way over a year ago.

@SydBJW

As previously mentioned not all scotch has smokey flavours/character.

Scotch, more-so than any other whisky is defined largely by it's geographic production location giving you a basis on which to look for the type of Whisky you like. In Aus there are four very commonly found regions:

Speyside: Approachable, fruity and mellow whisky.
Highlands: A bit of a mix ranging from fun fresh whiskies to hearty smoked whiskies.
Lowlands: Often heavily smoked due to the abundance of peat in the region.
Islay: Huge bold flavours often heavily smoked and salty/oily in flavour due to the air transfer of the region.

While not exhaustive and I am by no means an expert hopefully this will give you an idea of what to look for next time you are in Dan's 😀

Feel free to correct any inaccuracies I may have included.