E.O.I: Sydney catchup/coffee over Xmas/NY period?

Nick the Knife

Krill Enabler
Grand Society
Folks,

Just an early idea, would anyone be interested in catching up for a coffee/chat/swap yada yada in the Sydney area over Xmas/NY? Haha now yes I'm a PITA but I'm sure we can get other nice/normal people there as well....

But seriously, just an idea at this stage.......I only chuck it out there as I'm heading south of the annual 'Catch up with the inlaws' - hence I'll be in the big smoke for a couple of weeks.

I'm not looking to get a 'festival' sized response but even if there's just one person who wants to catchup etc I'm happy to make the time...haha you don't run into a lot of DE'ers in Coffs Harbour!

Inevitably details emerge later but might I suggest the following as a guide:
  • Date/time TBA - but lets say between Xmas and early JAN - almost certainly during the day to keep simple.
  • Location - the geographic centre of SYD is Parramatta, so to be fair to all folks I'd suggest that - haha and NO cynics I'm not staying in Parramatta! We'll be over near Fairfield. :)
  • What to do? Ummm I suggest a coffee/lunch at cafe/food court type deal - to keep it simple (these things often turn into a mess as someone wants kosher organic lactose free friands with their latte, so lets avoid going down that path!). Happy to bring my gear along to swap/discuss/inspect etc. Haha so expect a man carrying a box with several thousand blades in it. Haha so suffice to say meeting at the airport prolly isn't viable! As amusing as seeing the face on the xray security guy would be if I tried to take them airside.

Anyway just an idea - so if this is something you're open minded to please pop a post up and we can come to a decision on the details later. I know a few of the guys in other areas (PER, MEL) have caught up so just an idea but perhaps others could organise something too in their respective areas.

Cheers,

Nick

Last edited:
We have had three B&B catchups in CBR. Numbers fluctuate, people say they can make it then can't, usual thing.

What worked was meeting at one of the licensed cafe/bar type places. Everybody could order any food/drink they wanted or buy a round. We did get some funny looks from other patrons as be passed around DEs but not too much concern - there were no straights there.

The last one was at my place as people wanted to see my stash. I put on some snags and bread - everybody brought their own drinks. Unfortunately due to a scheduling clash with my wife we were stuck in the garage but that was still OK!

I've also caught up with some of the other B&B guys for breakfast in MEL.

Hope it goes well. If I'm passing through Coffs I'd certainly give you a holler. Likewise if people are visiting CBR let me know.

Thanks Mark, yes please if you or anything else is passing through Coffs you're very welcome to drop me a line and come by for a coffee etc (home roasted - hard to beat!)

Appreciate the info on your CBR catchups, that sounds exactly the type of way I'd envisage trying to arrange things. Sounds cool.

Haha now I'll give it a few weeks until the tumbleweeds start blowing through this thread before I start to sob. ;-)

Whilst you may be correct that Parramatta is the geographical center, may I suggest somewhere in the Sydney CBD or surrounds?

My logic is that the public transport to get there is from most places much easier, there are many good pubs, especially around the edges of the city, darling harbour etc....

The general 'unofficial' OCAU and TOG meetup location is the Pumphouse at Darling Harbour, just north of the Sydney Entertainment Centre.

Unfortunately the period between Christmas and NYE I will have my children and do not believe taking them to the Pumphouse would be entirely appropriate - it's very much an 18+ venue.

Would certainly be happy to find a decent café that we could go to.

............... I will have my children and do not believe taking them to the Pumphouse would be entirely appropriate............

Aren't the Wiggles doing a farewell tour? You could all meet up up and swap DEs and blades whilst Dorothy the Dinosaur is doing her thing.

Whilst you may be correct that Parramatta is the geographical center, may I suggest somewhere in the Sydney CBD or surrounds?

My logic is that the public transport to get there is from most places much easier, there are many good pubs, especially around the edges of the city, darling harbour etc....

Ummmm well look I'm open minded to location (though to be fair I lived in Parramatta for 8yrs and it's really no more difficult to get to it than the CBD - a simple change of train lines etc - plus it's essentially tacking an extra 40mins on for anyone who lives in 'the rest' of SYD. My whole rationale was that it's the centre and thus on a statistical level should be fairest to all parties. :)

BUT - like I said I'm open to location, so ultimately have no qualms with moving it to the CBD - haha mind you this is all inconsequential at present as it's currently me, myself and I. :)

If we get some EOI's I'm happy to nut something equitable and mutually convenient with the parties from there. :)

PS. Personally I'm with RM, given that we'll have loads of sharps etc I think a cafe type location is a better/more suitable location than a pub. Don't get me wrong I don't see us kicking onto a 3 day bender but I just think it'll be more suitable. Plus fair play you breeders out there might have some lil shavers in toe, so just keeps it a tad more suitable. Nothing to stop a few coolies after the machiatos.

But thats easy to stuff to sort.......number first and it's not something we need to 'lock folks in on' - but from there we can fill in the blanks.

Last edited:
Ah well after being inundated with interest.......ah not! I've tentatively arrange to catch up with Mr626 details at this stage are:

0900 hrs, 29DEC - Pancakes on the Rocks, Campbelltown (Mr626 is waaaaaaaay out that way so already a hike for him to come in this far).

Others are very welcome to come along - I know Glen lives out West and there's prolly others.

FWIW I'm still quite happy to do something more 'central' IF others are actually interested - as I tried to stress the details or where/when etc can be done later - its just to get folks saying I'm interested in catching up if it can work in with other plans etc.

:)

Too Funny.

Thats a 10 minute drive from my house.

I'll see what I can do to get there!

Hilarious, and to think you were wanting the CBD over Parramatta! :cheesy:

Yes, would be cool if you could make it - no straights in my possession but soaps & brushes etc plus there might be a few non-DE extras from the PIF bundle that should make it to me by about then (I'm planning on giving it to Mr626 when we catchup). Love to see if you straight users do have 2 arms and legs like the rest of us or are another breed all together.

Hilarious, and to think you were wanting the CBD over Parramatta! :cheesy:

Yes, would be cool if you could make it - no straights in my possession but soaps & brushes etc plus there might be a few non-DE extras from the PIF bundle that should make it to me by about then (I'm planning on giving it to Mr626 when we catchup). Love to see if you straight users do have 2 arms and legs like the rest of us or are another breed all together.

CBD is definetly easier for me Public transport wise, even if driving....

Us straight shavers are just like you DE shavers, except for the patches of hair often missing from arms and legs. Known as Honers Mange. Particularly prevalent during "Honing Season". I am still getting over a nasty case of it after honing all my razors!

Wait what?!? A straight shaver is welcome? Where are the standards?!! :D

(just joking of course).

Hats off to Nick for organising this- he isn't even from Sydney either!

Gentlemen,

I have just realised that going to this would be more than my life is worth!

As it happens, that day is SWMBO's birthday.

Maybe next time.....

Gentlemen,

Maybe next time.....

No worries- the main thing is that you realised before it was too late and you were put in the doghouse :cheesy:

Gentlemen,

Maybe next time.....

WHAT!!!!

Breakfast in bed then the day is yours until dinner mate - get your priorities right!

If it was in January I may have been tempted to come up to Campbelltown, but I'll be in Bundaberg at the time. Enjoy guys!