EDC (multitool / knife ++)

eggbert

is full of Vision Collision
2018 Sabbatical
2017 Sabbatical
Da Menth Heads
I'm waiting on delivery of a new bag, and think it's about time to update some of my tired EDC to fill it with.
My Leatherman Juice KF4 still works perfectly fine, but it was discontinued over 13 years ago, so I presume something else mut have come along by now to usurp it as the best mini multitool?
I also wouldn't mind a good EDC knife and torch to add to my list. I started a bit of a knife collection a while ago, buying opinels and other classics, but got put off when customs confiscated one claiming it was a flick knife (could be opened one handed, which a the time was illegal). I'd prefer not to have a carbon blade in this case, as it probably wouldn't be looked after very well.
I know people have talked about the torches they own here before, but I find the market moves so quickly on these items that almost as soon as you have mentioned their names they are obsolete.
I'm not averse to spending decent money on something that will last a long time, but I'm also quite happy picking things up on the cheap from Aliexpress or other Chinese stores like Gearbest (although they don't seem to do the deals of previous years any more).

Anything else you think I need to add, enable away.

Last edited:
I have had most things under the sun as far as EDC knives go..
Spyderco a good but a bit pricy for what they are and the yearly price increases get a bit gross.. their fan club can be a bit...much too-
Personally I regularly have an alox cadet and my Benchmade mini freek (expensive for what it is but BM really look after their customers plus it was a gift)
as for a torch, I have a copper s1 batton I love!

Last edited:
Hi @eggbert have you checked out Alfred's in town. I used to love that shop, like a kid in a candy store.
May be a bit $$ but will give you some idea of what's available.

kxzK7Dj.jpg

A buddy just messaged me looking to offload a NIB native 5 so I’m waiting for that now, not normally one for a serrated edge but a fully lined native in S35vn for $120 will have me hooked every time
@eggbert What sort of work will your knife see?

Last edited:
I did say that I wasn't averse to spending money on kit, but $125 is a bit rich for me at the moment considering other purchases (and the wife's eagle eye on our finances).
Seeing that I work in an office, and live in the tropics, I think the hardest work it might see is opening a coconut so I can pour the juice into some rum at the end of the day, although there might be some inter office back stabbing too (most of them don't have much of a spine so I probably don't need anything OTT).

I think I might just end up with a Ystart Jino2 Axis lock knife for ~$30.
JIN02-Knife-YSTART-Flipper-Pocket-Knives-D2-Satin-Blade-Axis-System-G10-handle-black-orange-green.jpg

or maybe an Ontario rat 2 copy
LDT-RAT-Model-2-Folding-Knife-AUS-8-Blade-G10-Handle-Tactical-Knife-Hunting-Camping-Outdoor.jpg

Last edited:
Personal opinion but if you can avoid supporting copies that’s a good thing (just my 2c)
How big of a knife do you need?
I may have just the PIF for you

Don't need anything that big, just enough to sever the spinal column of a cow-orker or two.

/S

What about an ESEE Zancudo perhaps?
They turn up pretty cheap from time to time

Don't need anything that big, just enough to sever the spinal column of a cow-orker or two.

/S
Aaahh, office life where a pat in the back is recon for the knife.

How do you go with the law and carrying a weapon? Down here our law is very broad and you can be stopped and asked to explain why you are carrying anything that could be construed as a weapon. It is an offence to carry without a reason.

Just like our antidiscrimination law which prohibits causing offence, FFS toughen up princess.

I don’t carry a weapon, I have a tool i use at work cutting boxes, packing straps, hosing and so on.

If cash flow is limited why not try out one of Spyderco's Byrd range of knives. I have been using a few now for years, just they use 8Cr13MoV steel which isn't bad and is easy to keep an edge on. Cara Cara, Tern and Finch are the main ones I have all G10 handles. Though my fav affordable EDC which I use most days is a Kizer Velox 2 vanguard, and if you keep your eyes out sometimes they can be found for $50-$60 and they have VG10 Japanese steel and has a very smooth BB flip.

As for a torch as above I'm another fan and daily user of a Baton S1R, tiny but powerful torch. I have a couple of the desktop charging stands for it too. I do have another fun torch that I've not really used but it's both a lockblade and a decent torch and that is the Nebo Pal+400 and believe it or not it also works as a powerbank lol. Cheap, lil gimmicky but kinda cool too.

Probably too late but I’ve moved away from folders for EDC. A knife small enough to be comfortable in my pocket is typically inadequate for my needs. Usually it ends up in a bag anyway. So I find small fixed blades more versatile, stronger and better value. When I have it out and am using it the neck knife format is very effective.

Good quality without breaking the bank? Try a Mora Eldris - splurge on the fire starting kit if budget allows.

I’ve had a similar victorinox with leather pouch ever since picking one up in Zurich nearly 20 years ago. It’s an excellent tool and particularly strong as a set of pliers, which is very handy.

I have nothing bad to say about it. It’s heavy but with quality befitting that amount of SS... always felt better put together than the equivalent leatherman.

I’ve had a similar victorinox with leather pouch ever since picking one up in Zurich nearly 20 years ago. It’s an excellent tool and particularly strong as a set of pliers, which is very handy.

I have nothing bad to say about it. It’s heavy but with quality befitting that amount of SS... always felt better put together than the equivalent leatherman.
+1 on Victorinox Swisstool as an alternative to a Leatherman. I purchased mine a few years ago and it gets regular use with great finish, machining, Ruler and great pliers.
The weight is good and it wares well on the belt with a nice leather pouch. The knife is standard swiss army so OK and only let down is pricing and lack of tools, unless you buy the extras (Swisstool X Plus).
I also own a Leatherman that has extras and a better knife but for most jobs I grab the Swisstool as its solid and yet to let me down.