EJ D86L vs Merkur 11C

Jesmol

IMHO no contest.

I'm not sure why but I'm really struggling with the 11C, first pass WTG is almost taking nothing off, looks like 24hrs worth of stubble. ATG and XTG are ok , but really not giving a smooth shave

Went back to my EJ D86L , much much much better. (using the same personna blade in each)

I LOVE my EJD86L.

Admittedly it's my first DE razor but meh a bloke has to love something right?

What particularly don't you like about the Merkur 11C?

Admittedly it's my first DE razor but meh
Merkur? More like meh-kur.
Re-inventing the wheel, but with cheaper materials and manufacturing.
about the only post 1940s razor I use is a gillette slim adjustable. Beside them, the trend has always been 'made cheaper', not 'made better'. It's simple technology so they nailed it earlier on, then started to cut manufacturing cost to increase profit or reduce sale price, not improve the product

I LOVE my EJD86L.

Admittedly it's my first DE razor but meh a bloke has to love something right?

What particularly don't you like about the Merkur 11C?

I just dont get good results with it, handle feels too short, I bought it to try and get a better result on my neck but it just doesn't cut it.....

I like Merkurs. The HD was my first and still the best. I only use a HD and Futur. Didn't like the 11C either, right size and weight, as per the HD, but the open comb was a poor shaver and 'bitey'.

I hear the EJs are better finished, but until they knurl a handle like the HD, I'm not interested.

Many of the Merkurs have knurled handles - patterned scores in the metal, for grip. The EJs are smooth. Even the ones with knurling like looks are more for aesthetics than actual grip. I had a Muhle R41, which is the same as the EJ open comb, I think Muhle make both. Soldit and got the 11C, which gripped better, but OCs aren't for me.

Oh I see.

The Feather I have on the way has a handle like what you're describing so I will see soon enough the difference between them.

I have had a slippery problem every now and then with the EJ to be honest. I can see it might be a problem for some if you lose grip but keep trying to shave and slip.

IMHO no contest.

I'm not sure why but I'm really struggling with the 11C, first pass WTG is almost taking nothing off, looks like 24hrs worth of stubble. ATG and XTG are ok , but really not giving a smooth shave

Went back to my EJ D86L , much much much better. (using the same personna blade in each)

I think not giving a smooth shave is because the 11C is an open comb and you might not be used to it. After awhile you won't know the difference between OC & straight bar.

I havent tried the Merkur 11C (its one that I would love to buy soon) but I have the 4 EJ DEs (DE 86/87/89/89L) and theyre my fav razors.Im a Merkur guy I must admit,but those EJ (and Muhle) are simply great shavers as well a beautiful and well made razors.
I do have a vintage Merkur 15C which shaves pretty good too,but I like the "heftiness" of the EJ razors better.