Erasmic

Pjotr

Cultured Philistine
2016 Sabbatical
Bit of a bummer. This was PIFFed from HM via Drubbing and I know it's impolite to look a gift horse in the mouth but I had high hopes for this one. I like shaving products that are cheap and cheerful and will give them a lot of leeway on that basis. Erasmic qualifies on the cheap front. The lather could also be described as cheerful as it's very "bubbly". I got over the hardness by scoring the tip, making it wet and leaving it overnight in an airtight stick holder. Subsequently I got more than enough on my face and at first the lather was OK, well below par but useable, but as I grabbed the brush for the second pass it was basically gone. I've never before actually seen a brushful of lather disappear in to a popping mass of wet slime. I think it's actually worse than Lea and that's saying something. I considered keeping it just in case, but putting it behind the queue of at least two years worth of other soaps/creams didn't seem like a realistic option; so it's now it's a very nice bath soap.

So as far as cheap and cheerful soaps go, the Euro Palmolve rules. Pity I can't use that due to mature age, pubescent zit popping syndrome.

I coulda written that too.

Terrible stuff. I found the stick like rock, so I grated it and loaded it like a mad man. It wasn't interested. The only lather I've come across that breaks down instead of builds up the more you work it.

Thanks to Hunnymonster though, for his effort and generosity, but experiences vary wildly with this one.

Keep it to break in banjos, Pj.

Hmm.

I haven't tried the stick you dropped off yet, I probably will, jsut to say I have done it.

Love the Palmolive.

I will join the yucky poos club. Dissapointing as the cream I found quite good. Will try again after I shave it into a bowl and make a mush out of it because trying to use the stick is just an exercise in frustration. Thin watery smear on the face no matter how hard I tried to work up a lather. Didnt even shave that well with the Fatboy and a 2nd shave blade in it.

I will save this for the day I have nothing left, not even handsoap and the PIFs have all dried up. :)

Thanks anyway to the Hunnymonster for the sending and Drubbing for the distribution. Still to try is the Palmolive (which I hope works well as I have the equivalent of 4 sticks) and a Colonel Cronk Bay Rum.

.......Maybe somewhere where the water is better?

Personally I've yet to notice any difference in lather due to water quality. I've used pure rainwater and scheme water in Perth, Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Cairns, Bali, Amsterdam, London and a few spots in Essex, Norfolk and Suffolk just to name a few. Surely that would cover most if not all conceivable water qualities Couldn't really tell the difference to be honest. It takes ages to rinse off with rainwater but as far as lathering goes I've never noticed a thing.

Last edited:
Yes. I wasn't putting a razor anywhere near those transparent bubbles. I could shave with the cream, just not a nice smell.

Didn't have any problems myself with the shave. No irritation or anything. Just had to quickly reload, lather up and do a pass before it all disappeared.

By the way it doesn't look like this one is going to make it as circlejerk material either.

Last edited:
Thanks to Drubbing, I received my package today.

I gotta say, the way it smells, I'm surprised Australia Post will go anywhere near it :D

It'll get its workout this weekend.

Didn't have any problems myself with the shave. No irritation or anything. Just had to quickly reload, lather up and do a pass before it all disappeared.

By the way it doesn't look like this one is going to make it as circlejerk material either.
I had no problems with the shave I had using it either. Though like I said, strangely only got enough lather for two passes out of it. I thought it was just me.
But I don't mind really anything else about it. I will use it occasionally, and keep it for if I travel anywhere rather than bring a soap in a bowl.

Well let me tell you my POV on Erasmic...

The primary reason I've ever bought it was for trades (particularly with USAians - for some reason they seem to love it and overlook the lather and the stench/odour/pong). For me it lathers slightly less well than a cheddar and the smell is like a pair of socks after a week long hike.

If there's anything else you fellas want to try from blighty & district, yell and I'll have a scout around to see if I can find it, how much it is, how much to pack it up & post on to Stralia.

Phew....and here I was thinking we were acting like a bunch of spoilt brats. So, we've got sophsticated tastes? Even Glen, Mr Buffalo Hide Plutonium Facial Hair, doesn't like it.

Strange, you would have thought with a name like Erasmic, Yanks would assume a terrorist plot or aiding one of the Axis of Evil countries and have it screened as a suspected dirty bomb or something.

I'm sure we can think of plenty of things in this shaving desert. But we'd like to be able to do something in return.

Well let me tell you my POV on Erasmic...

The primary reason I've ever bought it was for trades (particularly with USAians - for some reason they seem to love it and overlook the lather and the stench/odour/pong). For me it lathers slightly less well than a cheddar and the smell is like a pair of socks after a week long hike.

It's telling when even Pj turns up his nose at $2 products.

Good to see you haven't taken offence. In that case can I correct you and say it smells more like a cheddary jockstrap left in the gym over summer. An Australian one.

I have no idea why the yanks love it. I can only assume it's big forum FOTMism. Or a fetish for cheddar, and gym nostalgia.

But kudos to you for finding a surefire way to buy low and sell high.

Even Glen, Mr Buffalo Hide Plutonium Facial Hair, doesn't like it.

So it has come to this huh? Those of us and there would be very few I suspect with more mature skin and whiskers that don't fly off in a stiff breeze, must now suffer the slings of the younger generation. All respect for maturity (and the wisdom that comes with it) out the window - it is indeed a sad world :)
Having said that you are right it was truly horrible, although I will try thecream again today as I remember it being quite nice (although of course with my advancing years the memory tends to slip a little. :)

Glen Mr BHPFH.

I'm sure we can think of plenty of things in this shaving desert. But we'd like to be able to do something in return.

Ha well... I already have a Drizabone hat (not a cork one), boomerang & various articles of kangaroo origin - what's left? :)

Really fellas it's not necessary - if I can help you all out, I'm happy to do that.

Genuine RM Williams boots. Croc skull (can't wait to inherit mine)

Pair of Ugg boots, didgeredoo. Man there is so much choice Australiana he's missing out on. But wait.........Mennen shave stick and cream (don't interrupt me here, Drubbing) and of course the pinacle of the shaving desert experience: Faulding Shave Cream. As a wet shaver you can't say you've done Australia until you've tried Fauldings. PM me if you're interested HM (shut up Drubbing).