Fatboy (who?? me??)

no47

I'm getting slight razor envy with some of the Fatboy shots in SOTD pics, so I've been googling....which is always dangerous.

I've not owned/possessed a vintage before and looking at the available options (most of which seem to be in the states) there is a fairly large variety to choose from, from 'as new' replated/refurbed, through to some that still look like they've got whiskers and shaving crème embedded in them....

Any tips/hints on what I should be looking for, what I should steer clear of, and what I should buy if the chance comes up....oh, and I don't want to be spending mega bucks.

Cheers in advance.

I'm getting slight razor envy with some of the Fatboy shots in SOTD pics, so I've been googling....which is always dangerous.

I've not owned/possessed a vintage before and looking at the available options (most of which seem to be in the states) there is a fairly large variety to choose from, from 'as new' replated/refurbed, through to some that still look like they've got whiskers and shaving crème embedded in them....

Any tips/hints on what I should be looking for, what I should steer clear of, and what I should buy if the chance comes up....oh, and I don't want to be spending mega bucks.

Cheers in advance.
There was a thread that @Mark1966 created a while back I believe. Will see if I can find tonight.

From those I've spotted lately poor nick and over priced. It's lucky draw lately. You want to see good pictures of the item at least 5 giving you top plate, handle if you see something and want me to take a look let me know I'd be looking at end caps and blade gap.

From those I've spotted lately poor nick and over priced. It's lucky draw lately. You want to see good pictures of the item at least 5 giving you top plate, handle if you see something and want me to take a look let me know I'd be looking at end caps and blade gap.

Ill certainly take you up on that offer.....know what you mean about the current market stock though. The nice ones that look in mint condition have a 'mint' price tag attached to them. The affordable ones, by and large, look like they've been used to shear sheep...

I picked up a 1958 Fatboy in mint condition for around $100. A few months later scored a pristine 1962 Slim from a deceased estate auction for $44. Both give great shaves.

Cheers in advance.
Check this out https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/E3-Code...70.l1313.TR2.TRC0.A0.H0.Xgillette+fatboy.TRS0

Is that a good or bad example....cos it's right in my price range!
If it helps if I was in the market for one I'd be looking at it from a buy point of view. In addition I think if you look really close it has the screw end cap on the handle making it real easy to strip down and clean properly on the inside

If it helps

@58RW It does indeed, thanks.
I've read some other threads on here re cleaning them up'(boiling water/steam etc) and stripping down. Assuming any purchase is in good working condition and needs no adjustment, is it worth getting them replated? What sort of cost is involved in that?

I've read some other threads on here re cleaning them up'(boiling water/steam etc) and stripping down. Assuming any purchase is in good working condition and needs no adjustment, is it worth getting them replated? What sort of cost is involved in that?
I’ll say it’s well and truely overcapitalising BUT if you love it then it’s worth it.
My fatboy was found by my mates Dad in a bucket- pitted, gross and green but as it was a gift from s friend I was okay to pay it as I have no intent to sell it

Per

Personally to much in getting replating done but up to the individual

I had a crack at the one @58RW linked to on ebay but was unsuccessful. The hunt continues.....Ive had a look on Badger&Blade and the Shaving Room at the buy/sell/trade forums and will keep my eye on them - if anyone comes across a likely candidate I would be more than appreciative of a heads up! Cheers.

I had a crack at the one @58RW linked to on ebay but was unsuccessful. The hunt continues.....Ive had a look on Badger&Blade and the Shaving Room at the buy/sell/trade forums and will keep my eye on them - if anyone comes across a likely candidate I would be more than appreciative of a heads up! Cheers.
Have you tried Etsy.com ;):sneaky: they’ve got heaps online which is far better than eBay :D is my favourite shopping ground for vintage razors