Fatboy

Hey everyone, if one is in the market for a Fatboy, what would one be looking at before buying? I have my eye on one for $120, looks in reasonable condition, in the groovy little plastic box with what i suspect are some extremely vintage blades. No idea what i am looking at though. It is a damn good looking adjustable razor. Is this about right for the price?

@Anthony Hunter before you go too far make sure @FatBoy58 should have a look it first and he'll tell you what he thinks, and IF you plan to buy it and make sure you pass this to @FatBoy58 if you need any further cleaning or some minor repairs never try this on you're own IF you know what you're doing.

It will be hard to get a hold of, its in a shop in my town here. I am quite reluctant as i don't want to fork out for a dud, no idea what to look for. They actually have a few of them ranging in price up to the 120 which is the pick of the crop. Some of them look dodgy as.

Hi @Anthony Hunter. There's a nice one on eBay that's around $120.00. However having said that look for the obvious @ $120.00 if that's the asking price then first off what condition is the plating but that also can be tricky as what you see is not always what is really is underneath I'll post a pic example In addition the tricky part is the blade gap and alignment, dial it down to 1 then use your best keen eye run it along the gap opening from left to right or right to left or both try to imagine a blade thickness already in layed with the doors closed if looks like it's gonna be a tight fit then it's pretty close to what it should be It takes an eye and what to look for to get one that does not need some TLC.
XxABDrF.jpg

KfrQAAQ.jpg

Last edited:
Hi @Anthony Hunter. There's a nice one on eBay that's around $120.00. However having said that look for the obvious @ $120.00 if that's the asking price then first off what condition is the plating but that also can be tricky as what you see is not always what is really is underneath I'll post a pic example In addition the tricky part is the blade gap and alignment, dial it down to 1 then use your best keen eye run it along the gap opening from left to right or right to left or both try to imagine a blade thickness already in layed with the doors closed if looks like it's gonna be a tight fit then it's pretty close to what it should be It takes an eye and what to look for to get one that does not need some TLC.
XxABDrF.jpg

KfrQAAQ.jpg
This one is in some pretty good Nick. Similar to the second photo. Will go back in and spend some time with it

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, it is similar to the after razor, however, that will come to nought if like you say the gap and the alignment are out. The bloke that showed it to me was a little vague when i asked questions. Might think about giving this one a miss, will probably do some more study and investigation before committing those types of funds.