Favourite Coffee

JugV2

Simply boring.
So what does everyone like? Are you a Nescafe Instant fan, or do you prefer something a bit more refined and inevitably expensive?

At work, we have a Nespresso pod machine (like the one with the ad in which George Clooney and John Malkovich face off over the pods).

So as I love coffee, and good coffee, I bought one for home.

It was around $250 from memory, and the pods are around $0.78 each but it is completely worth it in my opinion.

It takes around four minutes to make a double shot latte.

The machine comes with a milk frother and if you prefer a short black then you don't need this.

http://www.nespresso.com/#/au/en

*** I am not affiliated with Nespresso in any way, I just love coffee.***

I'm not really into coffee, my only cup is at breakfast. But I think I'd heave if all I had was Nescafe instant. Or anything from Dome's selection of warm milk drinks with added colour. Or Gloria Jeans.

2 years ago I was in LA and the place is owned by Starbucks. The worst stuff I have ever drank. It's jet black and tastes like liquid bitumen.

We've got an automated machine, a Saeco. Buy a bag of beans for $30 and lasts a couple of months or so.

Otherwise, it's tea.

Last edited:
Ha I sit here typing this with my new OCAU coffee mug next to me, full of good coffee.

A Saeco is awesome. Friends of ours have one. They are expensive and probably another year or so and I will most likely get one.

When I moved from Darwin to Perth, I went from shit coffee to a place abound with excellent cafes and drive through coffee places. I laugh now, looking back at when I thought Muzz Buzz was good coffee.

Drubbing, I agree with your point about Dome. Most if not all of those kind of places are crap. I'm pretty passionate about my coffee and as I am on the road most of the time for work, sales rep stuff, I try a lot of different places.

I tried a place in Wangara, Pit Stop Cafe, as they had this awesome looking machine, hot chicks serving, and I thought I might get a decent latte.

Man was I wrong.

The milk was so hot that the cup was untouchable for the entire time it took me to drive from Wangara to Osborne Park, where I am based for work. I then sipped it and was instantly wondering "hmm, where's the coffee?" It was weak and the milk was burned.

I stopped at my regular coffee place, gave them my coffee and asked them to bin it and give me a decent one.

Yeah, it's a lot like that. As I said, I'm not really into coffee, but I know when I get a bad one. I think you get spoiled by automated machines. Our local corner/coffee shop is owned by an Italian guy who been barista-ing all his life, before it became something people did for a job. His passes my test, which isn't stringent by any standards, but pisses all over Domes offerings.

I'm a sucker for DiBella coffee. My regular coffee shop made a custom blend with DiBella, which I have daily of a morning.

The other coffee I'll choose after DiBella is Merlo. I'm currently chewing my way through a 1kg bag of Merlo beans at home, a gift from my family last October along with a rather nice Breville espresso machine. :)

I work in a Telstra Business Centre, and we have a lot of corporate clients coming in most days.

We talked the boss into buying a decent coffee machine for us to use to make coffee for these clients - it's nice to be able to get one of our girls to make a bunch of coffees for clients.

So they bought a Delonghi fully automatic machine. Froths the milk, one touch menu kind of thing.

It makes good coffee but I must admit I now only like Nespresso pod coffee, as I prefer a short black.

Still, nice machine, and I don't recall the model name.

I have a Lelit PL041 and a SB Grinder (I wore out my SB EM6910).

Trying a couple of the roasts from Coffesnobs at the moment, have to say they are up there with the best of the beans I've had / tried.

Usually just have a flat white / latte depending on how well I steamed the milk.

We've got a Saeco double boiler automatic jobbie. It's the second one we've bought. we gave the first one ( a single boiler) to one of the siblings and it's still going strong after 6,000 coffees. We got them because according to the shop "all the italians buy them". How can you go wrong! As far as beans go the best we've found is the French roast by Brew-Ha in Subiaco.

My Mrs wrote Brew Ha's quality system. All lot more to roasting beans than you think.

I'm sure there is. Anybody here roast their own beans? Personally think that's taking it to the truly addicted level but would like to know what's involved just for the hell of it.

Last edited:
It's nescafe instant for me. I have it for breakfast, 2 teaspoons minimum, sometimes 3-4.
I have coffee for caffeine in the morning, the worse the coffee, the more likely that higher the caffeine usually anyway.

Played around with cheap coffee makers in the past, just not worth it for me.
I just want the caffeine for breakfast. A couple of extra loaded cheap coffees instant from the kettle, a smoke, and a glass of water sees me through the day until dinner time.
And I'm not that into coffee to pay the premium for the good machines or good grinders or good beans etc etc etc.
Done heaps of work at the coffee chains fixing their fridges, tried the coffee. If that's what they do with really expensive equipment, it's pretty poor, so I'm not going to even indulge in the gear to try make someone from grinds. (I do have coffee makers, espresso makes, and stovetop gear at home, and have bought some local beans before, but it just isn't used anymore, I just want quick caffeine in the morning)

Last edited:
I usually buy a 500g bag of beans from Yahava (up in the Swan Valley in Perth). They roast daily and a 500g bag lasts a few weeks. I use a stovetop Moka pot to brew. I'm pretty close to getting an ideal cup of coffee.

I usually buy a 500g bag of beans from Yahava (up in the Swan Valley in Perth). They roast daily and a 500g bag lasts a few weeks. I use a stovetop Moka pot to brew. I'm pretty close to getting an ideal cup of coffee.

I live ten minutes from Yahava. Awesome coffee.

I used to use Moka pots. The problem is that the water comes through at boiling point. Unfortunately machines that make coffee at 80 degrees are one hell of a lot more expensive.

I much prefer proper Espresso. I have some old instant here which really needs to be thrown but I don't have a machine right now.

Will more than likely pick up a Cafe Crema and then do the Krups basket modification. Will pay for itself quickly when I pay $3.50 per coffee down at the cafe near work, and more elsewhere.

You know, that gets me.

I have a machine at home - a pod machine no less so it is extremely easy to use.
I have the same machine at work, plus a fancy new Does Everything machine - and also free.

Yet every morning I stop at an independant drive thru coffee shop with exceptional coffee and pay $5 a day for a tall latte.

It would have to be bloody good to be worth $5 for a tall latte. :blink:
Smiley just for Drubs.

I only need a heart-starter in the morning, it isn't like I have 3 a day. Would be better to get one into me before heading off for the day, rather than waiting until 9.30am or so.

I tend to not drink coffee after lunch at all, or I find my mind too active when trying to sleep.

.....Yet every morning I stop at an independant drive thru coffee shop with exceptional coffee and pay $5 a day for a tall latte.

I've heard that the coffee is not the only thing that's hot in some of these drive thrus.

Geez I wish mine had some eye candy in it, I think the guy I get my coffee from is related to your postman PJ.