February 2017 Acquisition Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Batch300

Morris & Forndran Polo 26mm Blonde Badger in Moon Java
I wish to the Accountant Nancy Sears for her invoice, email photo, and probably prompt shipping
VSkbBrs.jpg

ILYqg4x.jpg

Morris & Forndran Polo 26mm Blonde Badger in Moon Java
I wish to the Accountant Nancy Sears for her invoice, email photo, and probably prompt shipping
VSkbBrs.jpg

ILYqg4x.jpg
Wonderful - congratulations and what a great way to start the February acquisitions thread (y)(y)(y)

Another thoroughly progressive brush design, congratulations on securing such a fine piece!

phVq4Dp.jpg

Stirling Mail call via a colleague just back from the States, special thanks to Rod for making this all happen in the time-frame!

I own an original Baker Street set from The Stroppe Shope, the scent off the puck is considerably stronger with this Stirling iteration particular so in the aftershave 'splash' that has a nice strong percentage strength too which is a bonus as Baker St has a well rounded scent. My first impressions are that they have done a very good job with replicating the original.

Nice haul @Sticky - the Everyday/GEMS will clean up nicely and give a sensational SE shave!
Thanks, I was lucky and pleased with the deal, could have gone either way. The Gillette was my first interest and the Evereadys an aside but since I won these I am more excited to try an SE shave, just have to wait for the blades to arrive from England

This morning, before the heavens opened and the rain cometh in Sydney, I received my Jabonman/Eufros order.

AgTCtqY.jpg

OkVQ4It.jpg

My initial reaction to the scents has not been especially positive. But as well all know, scent is subjective, and intensely personal.

With the Lime Spices all I get is on the nose is menthol - perhaps with a lather the rest of it may open up, but buggered if I can smell anything else from the can. And I hate menthol. Whoops.

With the Brisa de Oriente I smell vanilla with a hint of cinnamon. Which for me is a "meh".

The Gea smells exactly like Jean Paul Gaultier aftershave to me. Exactly. I didn't like it then, and I don't like it now. Reminds me of the 1990's, Muscle Mary's, Gucci's and day clubs. Shudder. Not a welcome revisitation by my olfactory cortex.

It is likely I will move these 3 on unused, as they don't appeal very much, and I am rather in love with my Martin de Candre Foutere, with the Otoko in rotation.

Of note also included were 3 samplers - dama de noche, ylang ylang and tierra humida.

I like the dama de noche - quite a pleasant flower scent. Inoffensive.

The tierra humida is... ...pungent. Wet earth indeed. Jury is out - not sure I want to shave with something that reminds me of mouldy ground: no doubt about one's sexual orientation with this scent. Very butch.

The Ylang Ylang is, to my nose, just plain wrong: it reminds me of my grand mother - that old lady powder smell. Again not one for me.

CAVEAT: my description is of course just what I smell and what comes instantly to mind; someone else may smell something entirely different, or at least interpret the scent entirely differently. I don't claim any skill in this arena, and often don't "get" the layers within scents - and wines for that matter. Still I knows what I likes, and what I don't, almost immediately.

Or put another way - just because something isn't for me, please don't anyone else be put off these soaps. They are top notch.

I had a shave this morning with this sampler:

yuk9A8r.jpg

The lather, cushion and glide was excellent - very smooth shave. In use the equal of the Martin de Candre. My face feels very calm. Scent was ok for me - as I say, quiet flowery, but pleasant.

The overall quality of the product is excellent, first rate in my limited experience, even if the scents I bought to try are not to my taste.

Last edited:
The overall quality of the product is excellent, first rate in my limited experience, even if the scents I bought to try are not to my taste.

If you don't like them @Amicus I will buy them from you on the spot, Manuel makes some of the best soaps on the market and his scents are top tier. The map is never the terrain with Jabonman, you need to lather them for the accords to open up.

As I said, if you would like to sell them I will take the lot immediately.

Nice start to SE loving! Did you get the coated GEM blades from Conaught?

Just a note: some members are viewing on a different forum scheme (dark) which means colour changes in font often don't translate between the two so should be avoided. Your post above has resulted in black text on a dark grey background which is nearly unreadable. If you really want to change font colour from the default, I would recommend you view the post on light and dark to check how it is translated between the two.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.