First DE shave today!

chomp1985

First impressions, Probably started with too many different things new lather new brush new razor all made things more troublesome than required.

A few things went pear shaped when i ignored advice i dived straight in with a new brush and new lather and used the first batch of lather i made which was horrible compared to later tests.

The advice i did listen to was brilliant. Go slow make short passes and feel the angle of the razor on your skin, using that advice i got through nearly my whole shave nick free until i ignored another piece of, in retrospect, brilliant advice "leave harder areas until your comfortable with the razor" i jumped straight into shaving under my nose pulled skin tight in wrong direction and managed to slice my lip quite nicely bled for ages even with a styptic pen.

Not a smooth shave but i wasn't expecting anything close to a decent shave the first time i picked up a DE razor. Looking forward to testing different blades and improving on what in my opinion was a decent start to DE shaving.

In conclusion It was a very enjoyable shave and could have been better with a little more preparation and not rushing into shaving around trouble spots.

First impressions, Probably started with too many different things new lather new brush new razor all made things more troublesome than required.

A few things went pear shaped when i ignored advice i dived straight in with a new brush and new lather and used the first batch of lather i made which was horrible compared to later tests.

The advice i did listen to was brilliant. Go slow make short passes and feel the angle of the razor on your skin, using that advice i got through nearly my whole shave nick free until i ignored another piece of, in retrospect, brilliant advice "leave harder areas until your comfortable with the razor" i jumped straight into shaving under my nose pulled skin tight in wrong direction and managed to slice my lip quite nicely bled for ages even with a styptic pen.

Not a smooth shave but i wasn't expecting anything close to a decent shave the first time i picked up a DE razor. Looking forward to testing different blades and improving on what in my opinion was a decent start to DE shaving.

In conclusion It was a very enjoyable shave and could have been better with a little more preparation and not rushing into shaving around trouble spots.

Nice one chomp! Another bit of advice, don't change things around at all in the beginning. You really won't be able to tell the difference between one blade or the next. After all, cutting yourself with one blade is not much different to cutting yourself with another. Save the blade comparison excersize until you can shave properly and tell the difference. It just puts another distracting thought in to your head which by the looks of it you really don't need at the moment.

A bit more blood and gore than most experience, but you'll get there, or bleed out till you're numb, then you won't care anyway.

Go slow. Take all the time you need. Forget about results for now, and they'll come sooner rather than later. First aim is a comfortable shave. When you can do that consistently, you can go for results. Work on that lather, that will help everything else.

I never pull my skin tight when shaving. Some do, but it just leads to irritation for me, doesn't cut any closer. I do flatten my neck as well as I can, but stop well short of pulling everything taut. Might be worth leaving that for now and trying without.

It won't take long, give it a few weeks.

Last edited:
I second Drubs' advice.

I don't pull my skin taut when I shave either.

I have a mo and a lovely little tickler thing under the bottom lip; the kind that PJ wishes he had.

As someone new - 8 months in - to DE Shaving, I cut myself a few times, ignored advice; it happens.

Slowly and get your lather right. Crucial.

..........I don't pull my skin taut when I shave either.......I have a..... lovely little tickler thing under the bottom lip; the kind that PJ wishes he had.........

Not sure where the skin taut advice comes from because as far as I know that's only standard practice when using a straight. I happens when I pull an awkward area to make it more accessible but it's not the intended outcome. If you really want to cut yourself badly pull the skin tight!! Sharp edges love tight surfaces.

And as for the latter JugV2, I'm speechless. Those things are for second rate singers in Christian bands, wannabe outlaw bikers and washed up TV presenters who wish to convey the message that their bald pate is an accident. Get rid of it. Now!

Last edited:
I'm speechless. Those things are for second rate singers in Christian bands, wannabe outlaw bikers and washed up TV presenters who wish to convey the message that their bald pate is an accident. Get rid of it. Now!

Two words that should strike fear...

Shannon. Noll.

Regarding pulling the skin taught it was some rather bad advice for getting just the hairs up under the nose. Rest of my Shave was done without pulling at any skin.
Found getting hairs just took turning razor on a different angle to get the blade to the hairs.

Another shave today, went 10 times better then yesterday no nicks or cuts and it actually came out a respectable shave not bbs but was on par with cheap cartridge shave.

Using a Merkur HD with derby extra's + Omega Shaving Soap

Last edited:
And as for the latter JugV2, I'm speechless. Those things are for second rate singers in Christian bands, wannabe outlaw bikers and washed up TV presenters who wish to convey the message that their bald pate is an accident. Get rid of it. Now!

PJ I shaved it off.

Your comments about GodPop singers and TV presenters left me unable to sleep until I shaved it off.

Now I only have a mo.

I guess I will just go on, one day at a time, hoping I have made the world a better place.

PJ I shaved it off.

Your comments about GodPop singers and TV presenters left me unable to sleep until I shaved it off.

Now I only have a mo.

I guess I will just go on, one day at a time, hoping I have made the world a better place.

That's a relief. I was on the lookout in the streets of Perth for an immaculately shaven gentleman with a mo and a tickler and not knowing what to say if I did bump in to him. I can stop looking now. And the world is a better place. Although I can't for the life of me remember them, Shannon Noll did have one or two almost half decent songs. Maybe not.