First Paste & Cut travelling hardware box

OK we have now agreed on the razors - best of modern vs vintage - 7 razors in there and all i can say: this wil be the envy of any wet shaver (y)

Stop it already!

Alright - this has become too much for me - I'm in... hopefully it helps cure RAD rather than enable it. My approach to reviews will be similar to @beerhog - my reference DE will be my 6S to see if I can detect any performance related reason to spend the big bucks.

@Korbz - Brisbane
@fruityasu - Melbourne
@RustyBlade - Sydney
@beerhog-melbourne
@Rami - Sydney
@RazorPlay - Perth

OK we have now agreed on the razors - best of modern vs vintage - 7 razors in there and all i can say: this wil be the envy of any wet shaver (y)

Which razors I wonder? Would this be a surprise?

Time to reveal another treasure in the box - the most exciting modern razor will definitely be the Wolfman, but what about the vintage ones you ask?

Well how about this, a razor that should be on everyone's bucket list, and one I have never shaved with:

Gillette #16

So what? Who care about the Gillette #16?

Come here and sit down my friend ...

The 'Aristocrat' range was always the top end of Gillette razors. High quality, with a larger diameter handle and heavier construction they just oozed quality and sophistication. You knew you were loved when you received an Aristocrat. At their peak in the 1930s and 1940s the British made Gillette razors were the absolute pinnacle. Almost universally considered of better construction than the US razors the British Aristocrats tended to be rhodium plated with an incredible shine.

1948%20Aristocrat%20No16%20beschriftet%20Logo.JPG.jpg

The number (#16) actually refers to the set, not the razor. This is the most common set that this razor came in, but it is also found in a different case -

1948%20Aristocrat%20No16.JPG

While the one you will be using is not quite as shiny as this one it is cut from the same cloth, a superb example of British craftsmanship and a great shaver.

@Mark1966 lovely razor and can't wait to use it! How similar is it to a Gillette #58, as that is already in my den?
Can you throw in the Gillette #15 too. That is my holy grail vintage razor at present. :)

@Mark1966 lovely razor and can't wait to use it! How similar is it to a Gillette #58, as that is already in my den?
Can you throw in the Gillette #15 too. That is my holy grail vintage razor at present. :)

Only closed comb/solid guard bar razors this time around!

Might be a next time of course ...

Shaves very similar to the #58 as you would expect but the flat bottom on the head changes the balance a little. Would be interested in your thoughts on how they compare.

Love my Aristocrat, the sentimental memories attached mean it's not likely to ever come up for sale either.
BTW, there may be a late addition depending upon a few folks input.
NO promises or further details, as rather not disappoint.

Time to reveal some more I think...

Surely a great razor travel box needs an adjustable in there, but this is no ordinary great travel razor box is it? This is an out of this world stellartastic travel razor box, so it includes not 1, not 2 but 3!!! real adjustable razors :eek::eek::eek:

Yes now is your chance to compare IMO the best modern adjustable in its most luxurious version:

The Progress Mergress

vs

both of the most widely aclaimed vintage adjustables

Fatboy AND Slim

So what is a Mergress? ...

A Mergress is a Progress razor that has been tuned by Eric (Mer) Maier. He removes the plastic knob at the bottom and replaces it with a stainless steel knob. During this process he also fine tunes the adjustment mechanism of the razor, so everything actually lines up.

Many say, that the added weight of the stainless steel knob vastly improves the balance of the razor.

A Mergress is a Progress razor that has been tuned by Eric (Mer) Maier. He removes the plastic knob at the bottom and replaces it with a stainless steel knob. During this process he also fine tunes the adjustment mechanism of the razor, so everything actually lines up.

Many say, that the added weight of the stainless steel knob vastly improves the balance of the razor.

So it is an iconic modern adjustable - one that any self respecting shaver MUST try?

It does look like a thing of beauty -

001_11bdf4da-c4e2-4f57-8cbe-4b32fd554ad3_1024x1024.jpg

What about 'the Fatboy' do I hear you say?

Gillette used the name "adjustable one-piece razor" or "195 Adjustable" on what has since been dubbed the "Fatboy". The blade adjusting dial has 9 clicks and is located at the top of the handle. The name 195 indicated the original sale price of the set, $1.95.

The Fatboy was produced in the 'date code' era, when Gillette stamped a letter (year) and number (quarter) on their razors - so we can now tell when it was produced. The Fatboy was produced between 1958 and 1961. While I have a D3 and D4 (the earliest Fatboys) in cases this is NOT those!

Mr-Razor has the usual great photo -

1961%20Fatboy%20G3.jpg

Read all about the Fatboy and its history here.

What about 'the Fatboy' do I hear you say?

Gillette used the name "adjustable one-piece razor" or "195 Adjustable" on what has since been dubbed the "Fatboy". The blade adjusting dial has 9 clicks and is located at the top of the handle. The name 195 indicated the original sale price of the set, $1.95.

The Fatboy was produced in the 'date code' era, when Gillette stamped a letter (year) and number (quarter) on their razors - so we can now tell when it was produced. The Fatboy was produced between 1958 and 1961. While I have a D3 and D4 (the earliest Fatboys) in cases this is NOT those!

Mr-Razor has the usual great photo -

1961%20Fatboy%20G3.jpg

Read all about the Fatboy and its history here.

Love my Fatboy....😎😎😎

What is the hottest modern razor?

Well every one seems to talk about the Karve CB, so of course there will be one in the box with the C and D plates - generously donated by @Nico (y)

What is the hottest modern razor?

Well every one seems to talk about the Karve CB, so of course there will be one in the box with the C and D plates - generously donated by @Nico (y)
OK - now I am in - Happy to receive the box last as it comes back to Adelaide. If anyone else joins just bump me to the bottom of the list please.

@Korbz - Brisbane
@fruityasu - Melbourne
@RustyBlade - Sydney
@beerhog-melbourne
@Rami - Sydney
@RazorPlay - Perth
@nsavage - Adelaide