First Paste & Cut travelling hardware box

speaking of blades....................

i decided to throw a new feather into the Karve D and wow!! i was in a rush and still got super close to BBS, quite a difference to yday's personas in this razor. I am liking this razor a lot but will be moving to the mergress tomorrow..

considering i prefer a little more aggressive razor, R5 on Rockwell and would of preferred a E plate for the Karve.. what should i start on with the mergress tomorrow? I have never used an adjustable before so really looking forward to it
3.5 to 4 I would suggest.

I have just been reading up on posts regarding the razor angle for the Karve and found i have apparently been doing it wrong. I usually shave with an angle closer to my face but have read the Karve performs better with an angle away from the face?

the mergress will be put on hold as i now need to re-test the Karve Plate D with the different angle (away from the face) and back with my favourite persona's

I have just been reading up on posts regarding the razor angle for the Karve and found i have apparently been doing it wrong. I usually shave with an angle closer to my face but have read the Karve performs better with an angle away from the face?

the mergress will be put on hold as i now need to re-test the Karve Plate D with the different angle (away from the face) and back with my favourite persona's
Yep I definitively find riding the cap works a treat with the Karve

Mergress as well - handle away from face - like most older/vintage razors.

I would start the Mergress maybe at 3 (depending on the blade of course)...this is a long handled Progress with a large stainless steel knob, so I would assume it is quiet more aggressive than a standard Progress.

3rd Shave with the Karve this morning, still on plate D and back to a new Persona Platinum. The angle definitely made a difference, a little more away from the face and i did achieve an extremely close shave.. best thing about the shave was the smoothness, no irritation at all. I still feel the D plate is slightly on the mild side so my current plate preferences may be the D plate with the new open comb, and an E closed comb.

Still loving the look, feel and weight of this razor and in serious consideration of a purchase.. now to check out some more, will leave a 2 day growth over the weekend and get into that with the mergress on monday.. will start at 3 and take it from there, cant wait !!!

got out the Mergress this morning.. My first impressions when i pulled it out of the box was bit clunky looking, and super heavy with a handle way to long for my liking.. I wasnt going to shave with it but thought stuff it, when am i going to get another chance to shave with it? and the very least just mark it off the list.

so, a solid 3 day growth met the mergress.. the beard had no chance.... 1st pass WTG I chucked it on setting 3.5 and started.. the shave was super super smooth (double super) and mowed it down like butter. 2nd pass XTG turned it to setting 4 and wow again!!!.. 3rd pass ATG still on setting 4.

It was hard to get under the nose with WTG pass but go it with WTG and ATG.. was a bit awkward to shave with due to its super long and heavy handle but it more than did the job. The result is the closest shave of my life with zero irritation, i cannot believe i found the razor of my dreams when it come to the shave but do not like its look/feel. devastated...

I have noticed the progress, has a considerably smaller handle and has a plastic knob instead of a heavy metal one, i also know the guy has done some fine tuning on the head?? but can anyone tell if the shave of the progress is the same as the mergress?

There are 2 different Progress: short handle (standard) and long handle.

They both have an (in my opinion) ugly plastic knob.

You can get the Mergress in both short and long handle both with either a standard (same size as the plastic knob) and long stainless steel knob.

The one in the box is the long handle with the long stainless steel knob.

The Progress was my first razor and it is a fantastic razor (I had the standard short handle). I think the balance is better with the Mergress, as the standard Progress is very head heavy...but at the end of the day the razor shaves very similarly. You just have use more/less drag force.

If you are happy with ZAMAC get a Progress...best ZAMAC razor out there as far as I have tried.

There are 2 different Progress: short handle (standard) and long handle.

They both have an (in my opinion) ugly plastic knob.

You can get the Mergress in both short and long handle both with either a standard (same size as the plastic knob) and long stainless steel knob.

The one in the box is the long handle with the long stainless steel knob.

The Progress was my first razor and it is a fantastic razor (I had the standard short handle). I think the balance is better with the Mergress, as the standard Progress is very head heavy...but at the end of the day the razor shaves very similarly. You just have use more/less drag force.

If you are happy with ZAMAC get a Progress...best ZAMAC razor out there as far as I have tried.

this is the thing.. i dont want a zamac razor but this is the best i have shaved with yet so am seriously considering it.

This time i want to get a non zamak razor and I also loved the Karve, so this may be an option.

Do you have any suggestions on an adjustable razor that is non-zamak?

tomorrow i am taking out the wolfman.. I was going to wait till last to try this but after this mornings shave i cannot wait any longer :)

If you are looking for true adjustable razors (like the Progress) I only know of:

Rex
B&R Adjustable
Rocnel Sailor series

If you are looking for "adjustable" razors, where you can change the base plates

Rockwell 6S/C
Above the Tie

And of course the Wolfman could be also considered an adjustable, as you can get it with different blade gaps...

Maybe @Errol could chime in?

If you are looking for true adjustable razors (like the Progress) I only know of:

Rex
B&R Adjustable
Rocnel Sailor series

If you are looking for "adjustable" razors, where you can change the base plates

Rockwell 6S/C
Above the Tie

And of course the Wolfman could be also considered an adjustable, as you can get it with different blade gaps...

Maybe @Errol could chime in?

Last year I reviewed a few adjustables but in those reviews the razor had to be adjustable without changing plates. Search Adjustable - Errol. If you’re looking for a true adjustable as far as I know the only three stainless steel adjustables have been listed by @alfredus. Having said that there are two versions of the Rocnel Sailor; the drop dead gorgeous first version and the current version. As far as I know there were only about 10 of the first version made, how I’d love to get my hands on one of them.

If changing plates is determined to be adjustable there are quite a number of them:
Karve
Charcoal Goods
Timeless
Mamba
Game Changer

I don’t necessarily agree that these are true adjustables.

thanks for the replies, i dont consider plates true adjustable's either.. did a bit of research and found that these require regular maintenance in the way of totally dismantling and decalc especially with hard Adelaide water. so not sure if i have the time/patience for this.

will think about it more but if i do go adjustable will be the progress.

ok so, just finished shaving with the Wolfman :love:

where to start.. this razor is gorgeous, excellent balance between a hefty handle and a slim head. The wolfman both looks awesome and feels amazing to hold and shave with.

The shave itself is super smooth and results are amazing. Complete BBS with ZERO irritation. The only down side to using it is now i know what a truly amazing razor feels like and it will be a very long time (if ever) i own something so nice.

Everything else used to date is pale in comparison, but i still do like the karve very much.

a very big thank you to @todras for his generosity in sharing such a beautiful razor in the pass-around and to @alfredus for organising this event.

Told you - you will want a Wolfman ;)

inner-conflict.jpg

Thanks to @StratMan for personally delivering the hardware box, sounds like you really enjoyed the experience.
First shave tonight and went straight for the Wolfman. Very, very impressed!
One pass dispatched three days growth with ease for a DFS. I could easily have stopped there but there was little chance of that, two more passes provided an irritation free BBS.

I don’t plan do a complete review, instead provide my observations of the differences
from my daily driver the SS Rockwell on plate 3.

My problem areas, the jaw line either side of the chin, under the nose and the around the adams apple presented no problem whatsoever, no additional touch ups where required.
The audible feedback is a couple of notches up on the Rockwell and there is a very distinct blade feel something I have never really felt before.
I look forward to sharing more observations with my up coming shaves.

The final word, the closest shave with the least amount of effort I have ever had.

Thanks to @StratMan for personally delivering the hardware box, sounds like you really enjoyed the experience.
First shave tonight and went straight for the Wolfman. Very, very impressed!
One pass dispatched three days growth with ease for a DFS. I could easily have stopped there but there was little chance of that, two more passes provided an irritation free BBS.

I don’t plan do a complete review, instead provide my observations of the differences
from my daily driver the SS Rockwell on plate 3.

My problem areas, the jaw line either side of the chin, under the nose and the around the adams apple presented no problem whatsoever, no additional touch ups where required.
The audible feedback is a couple of notches up on the Rockwell and there is a very distinct blade feel something I have never really felt before.
I look forward to sharing more observations with my up coming shaves.

The final word, the closest shave with the least amount of effort I have ever had.

What blade and soap did you use?