Fishing and hunting

That a long standing myth.

This is what the relevent department says in the subject

Carp/Redfin

Carp and redfin are pests. They can be taken with natural baits such as corn, bread or garden worms, shrimp or yabbies (only in open waters) or artificial lures. You can keep them or return them to the water where they were caught.

If you kill the fish, dispatch them humanely then dispose of them appropriately, and not beside the water’s edge.
Interesting. (y)

Obviously more a fishing than hunting thread.. In years gone past have done a bit of beach fishing off Fraser Island for whiting and dart (Taylor not so much). I renewed my firearms licence a few years ago, and have done a bit of feral pest control.. Obviously not as photogenic as the fish photos , but I wouldn't knock it.

I do work in my town waterfront and of course I have a rod in my desk for some relaxing time along the long working hours xD

I became more like a social fisher, going with mates to some cliffs etc and enjoy, but I love going fishing, and I do have skills. back in Europe I use to fish a lot for jargos (I just check the name, white seabream in english) in the cliffs and sea-basses, and arctic chars, Atlantic salmons and mackerels in Norway.

I have never been deep sea fishing, but this is something I will do eventually.

Not much as a hunter... I use to hunt sonbirds for caging as a kid, and do some falconry and ferret hunting (for rabbits). For now, I have pending going for a roe deer doe once back in Spain with a fellow, and maybe some woodcocks if I am there on the season (finest small gamebird you can get, amazing pate with the guts :D), but I do not see myself owning a gun and going out for hunting.

I do work in my town waterfront and of course I have a rod in my desk for some relaxing time along the long working hours xD
Im sure you already know, but just keep a check on consumption of fish from the Derwent. One or two serves a week is ok as long as it's not bream.

Im sure you already know, but just keep a check on consumption of fish from the Derwent. One or two serves a week is ok as long as it's not bream.

Yes, I don't eat, but release mostly. Unless I got some aussie salmon, which are fish that moves more and not just fully local like the flatheads. I just go for a few minutes for some casts, equivalent for other people like going for a coffee, so little chances on average to get something :)

I was really succesful at Flinders range, and that area is quite safe. I got everyday enough fish for making shashimi to my japanese fellows that they cannot wait to came back next summer. I shall get a license for abaloni for next summer too :D

I keep a priest with me but I prefer not to kill them if I can’t use them for something.
Well said @Ferret619 - never underestimate the value of a priest, particularly if a toothy pelagic decides to launch itself onboard. It’s saved my bacon with some Spaniards, Wahoo and Dog-tooth tuna.

In Tas neither carp nor redfin can be returned to the water dead or alive. The other introduced pests, aka trout, well they are considered special.

I never go out for trout and fly fishing in Tas, but certainly there are really good trouts around (certainly is a much better spot than spain and probably most europe at least) and I can imagine t brings money and maintain business.
We in spain recently had issues because some acuatic aliens are pull out of the "black list" because of bussiness stuff (and besides, there is no single chance of getting ridden of them, like red crayfish) and it is funny to see people blaming ourself and saying that this is not how "serious countries" do things. I fell funny when I read that, because even if I don't know much of the world, I know very well two of the top conuntries around the world, namely Norway and Australia, and both countries show the same behaviour regarding some alien species that generate money-benefits-jobs. I try to explain that this is not a spaniard thing, but a human-politics things that happen elsewhere (I can add at least UK, Russia, Cuba or The Kiwis as other countries that have the same behaviour..)
I can only want to blame Tas laws for keeping the trouts (and supporting trout spawning festivals), and at the same time banning turtles as pets in the state, because, as everybody knows, turtles are the best pets a man can have, period.

Not much as a hunter... I use to hunt sonbirds for caging as a kid, and do some falconry and ferret hunting (for rabbits).

Have you been involved in any Falconry here in Aus?
I looked into it ages ago after a hawk chased a small sparrow into our house and both crashed into a heavy glass door, knocking both out cold.
Both birds where fine but getting a chance to have a close look at a local bird of prey up close was a bit special.
If I recall, here in the ACT one cannot participate in the sport however.

Have you been involved in any Falconry here in Aus?
I looked into it ages ago after a hawk chased a small sparrow into our house and both crashed into a heavy glass door, knocking both out cold.
Both birds where fine but getting a chance to have a close look at a local bird of prey up close was a bit special.
If I recall, here in the ACT one cannot participate in the sport however.
Nope, and I am not sure how popular can be down here. I have never owned a raptor, as I was raised in a small apartment, but I had many friends that have them for breeding/hunting and joined them on hunting trips. It is an amazing thing because you can see the real action very well, but at the same time it requires a lot of space and plenty of time to care, train, and maintain them in good shape. It normally requires a dog, i.e. for finding the potential prey and flush them. Or you can use a ferret, if you are on the game for hunting rabbits, you train a couple of ferrets and they will enter in a rabbit den (with a muzzle on the mouth) and pull the rabbits out, exposing them to the raptor, tipically a harris hawk or a goshawk (falcons are no good at all for rabbits or any terrestrial thing). Not sure how legal is nowadays, and actually the guy that use to hunt with the ferrets and the harris hawks now uses jagdterriers for hunting foxes, badgers etc inside the dens (and rats in some rural buildings).
With smaller raptors (sparrowhawks, merlins...) you can just go to the bush and go for birds that are just flushed away while walking, esentially thruses, blackbirds, and few more, as most songbirds are protected by law. That's a bit dangerous because the raptors have their own will, and in that case, there is no training with a dog (for the raptor to response to the dog behaviour)...

I'm a shooter, wouldn't call myself a hunter. I have sheep here on my property and during lambing season I run the fox gauntlet. Occasionally we get wild pigs harassing the race horse property across the river and I "help them" with their problem.

Nope, and I am not sure how popular can be down here. I have never owned a raptor, as I was raised in a small apartment, but I had many friends that have them for breeding/hunting and joined them on hunting trips. It is an amazing thing because you can see the real action very well, but at the same time it requires a lot of space and plenty of time to care, train, and maintain them in good shape. It normally requires a dog, i.e. for finding the potential prey and flush them. Or you can use a ferret, if you are on the game for hunting rabbits, you train a couple of ferrets and they will enter in a rabbit den (with a muzzle on the mouth) and pull the rabbits out, exposing them to the raptor, tipically a harris hawk or a goshawk (falcons are no good at all for rabbits or any terrestrial thing). Not sure how legal is nowadays, and actually the guy that use to hunt with the ferrets and the harris hawks now uses jagdterriers for hunting foxes, badgers etc inside the dens (and rats in some rural buildings).
With smaller raptors (sparrowhawks, merlins...) you can just go to the bush and go for birds that are just flushed away while walking, esentially thruses, blackbirds, and few more, as most songbirds are protected by law. That's a bit dangerous because the raptors have their own will, and in that case, there is no training with a dog (for the raptor to response to the dog behaviour)...
Thanks for the post-
Really interesting read, I may have to stick to just observing the lovely creatures for now anyway I guess :(

As for ferrets .. my guys are fat n useless, they are pets through n though, no hunting instincts in them at all but they are absolutely hilarious to share the house with.