G'day Folks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome @PapaDooks
Was it your old man's safety razor you started with? It must be nice to have something to pass on in time to remember your pop by.

What is your current favourite soap/cream?

yeah it was. isn't anything fancy just an old gilette adjustable but it's still all in perfect working order and shaves up a treat when i get blades for it.
Fave soap at present is the proraso red. always liked sandalwood

so i was planning on posting down in the straight razor section but seems i'm too new for that yet so here goes.

what do people use for aftershave face care ? i've been rocking a full beard for most of the last ten years so my face isn't used to getting scraped every day yet and i'm getting some pretty rough irritation happening. i've tried using some of the missus moisturiser type creams but none of them are helping so i figured i'd ask like minded guys if they have any tips to help out ?

Some guys prefer an alcohol-containing aftershave while some favour a balm. Then there are those that instead apply a couple of drops of olive oil and let it soak in.

It all depends on what type of skin you have. I personally think that aftershaves work best for me.

so i was planning on posting down in the straight razor section but seems i'm too new for that yet so here goes.
Try to like a few posts...

what do people use for aftershave face care ?
I have more a dry skin and so I use a balm more than most. Currently I use a few drops of oil (Argan usually, sometimes olive oil) and rub that in the face. After a while, I use a good aftershave splash/lotion that's not just alcohol. When my face is dry (usually winter) I add balm on top.

Irritation to the face, especially the neck is usually due to one or more of the following:
- too much pressure
- too many passes (aiming for a very close shave)
- an ingredient in a soap/cream that affects the skin
- the wrong technique when using your razor
- a dull blade

Try to like a few posts.

thanks for the advice :)

i think it might be my skin just not liking alcohol type aftershaves.
couple of times i've forgotten to use any i haven't flaired up as badly. hopefully dull blade shouldn't be an issue since i just honed my blade this morning and it's making arm hairs pop at all spots along the blade. will report back tommorow on if i get less irritation.
never even thought to use something like olive oil. missus gave me this egyptian magic stuff she has that is meant to be great for sunburn and minor scrapes and cuts. feels kind of waxy but it's made my face calm right down within about 30 seconds so i might avoid aftershave for now and see if it makes any difference and maybe a few drops of olive oil to help it calm down.

i know they aren't anything fancy but i took a pic to send to a friend so i thought i'd chuck it up on here aswell. top is the gilette DE that was my great gandfathers. bottom is a mohle i picked up a few weeks back to learn straight blade shaving
razors_zps2lv20try.jpg

Welcome mate. The adjustable razor is a Gillette Slim - one of Gillette's best IMO.

Welcome mate. The adjustable razor is a Gillette Slim - one of Gillette's best IMO.
And you can work out when it was made by looking at the date code (letter and number). On the Slim I think it's underneath the base plate.

looks like a very faint M 1 on the underside near were the post joins the head. that the number your talking about ?

looks like a very faint M 1 on the underside near were the post joins the head. that the number your talking about ?

Yep, that's it.

Thread closure due no longer being required - auto-promoted to full membership

Status
Not open for further replies.