Gem 1912

2nd shave, 2nd blade, what can I say? As good as it gets for me, easy DFS, no irritation, smooth as silk and again leaves me to wonder if I`ve gone a little too close?
3rd shave tonight and again ( just like last blade) I felt as if I was using a blade that was past its prime, same great result but the reduction pass felt just that bit "tuggy" and I needed a fair bit more by way of touch up. I think I`ll say more about the blade itself (Gem SS with PTFE) in the blade section. As far as the razor itself goes...... I am so impressed and find myself joining the "where the hell have these been?" chorus. This Gem is easy and instinctive to use, looks a little unwieldy but is well balanced, has a non slip grip and gives great shaves. I would think that any noob with beard prep, lather and his pressure under control could use one of these and get great results from shave 1. I`ve got a Gem Jr on the way and think I`ll track down a nice Featherweight to try.

From the third or fourth shave onwards you have to put a bit more work in but that's quite enjoyable I think. I still get really close shaves, no irritation or razor burn but I might have to throw in a fourth touch up if I'm going for the complete smoothy finish. At about six I start thinking about getting a new blade happening just because I want to start the rotation again. If I had just one razor I'm sure I could get eight out of a blade.

I agree with pablo-h that it would be a good idea to start thinking about the micromatics. The Clog Pruf is a pisser! If I had to have one razor I'm sure that one would be it.

Last edited:
Okeydokey, against my better judgement I attempted a 4th shave tonight with a superlather of WunDay Men`s Shave, Palmolive Cream and Glycerine. I fully expected to change to a DE very quickly but got the whole shave done with the Gem. The 1st pass was hard work but again I was surprised by the easy 2nd and 3rd passes and the quality result. Don`t know if I`m game to push this blade again though. Gents, I think I`ll try my Jnr when it gets here and possibly a Featherweight but for my particular needs the 1912 is right at my limit for closeness.

I found out tonight that there is definitely NO 5th shave with this outfit for me. Exactly the same as a Feather in a mild DE, 3 shaves and thats that.

Sorry lost count, 5th shave is definitely a no go.

Last edited: