Geo F Trumper Limes lathering problems

Gft tallow was awesome...comparable to DRHarris and C&E tallow.

Then they reformulated to a potassium stearate (first ingredient) veggie base and it was basically nearly tallow good. I had the rose, violet, limes and coconut.

I bought a bunch of other soaps and sold the gft soaps...probably my most regretful soap sale ever because they reformulated again in 2012 to the airy foam creating crap you see today!!

The only other soaps I've experienced that were this bad...baume.be and c&e (from 2012 up until recent where they reformulated and apparently perform fairly well now).

I would second the suggestion to use it as a pre shave soap (or a shampoo bar).

...probably my most regretful soap sale ever because they reformulated again in 2012 to the airy foam creating crap you see today!!
I just wonder why they would destroy their own brand like that?
It basically means I will never buy anything from them again, since I no longer trust them. Not to mention trash-talking them at every opportunity.

I can only assume they outsource all their products and lost the previous supplier...

Most of these reformulations were for cost-saving only - mostly to do with increased competition and rising input costs (Tallow is expensive compared to P/K Stearate). There were certainly hard times for these 'established players' between 2008-2014 as these were seen (and priced) as luxury items, and there were far cheaper and better performing products in the market, so they needed to cut costs and prices. They would not touch their profit margin so the quality of the product definitely faltered while the 'New World Artisans' spearheaded by B&M, Caties, and others started taking massive market share with products priced around 20% lower.

Around 2012 Taylors started dropping prices through some retailers like Connaughts... however many retailers just absorbed the extra margin for a while but eventually people stopped buying them. I just did some checks since I do not buy them anymore, but the prices have fallen back in the soaps significantly since I last looked a number of years ago. A Trumpers tube is now one Euro more expensive than in 2011, but there has been a significant devaluing of the Euro and GBP against the AUD since then. Overall, these larger names are still 80% of the market, between Trumpers, Taylors and Harris.

I was browsing wicked edge and checked out the bad gear list: https://www.reddit.com/r/wicked_edge/wiki/avoid

I thought this would be worth posting:
Shaving Soaps made by Soapworks Ltd. – Third party that makes shaving soaps for companies that don’t lather. Many formerly well respected brands are now using Soapworks – Geo F. Trumper, Crabtree and Evelyn, etc.. The creams from these brands will still work.