Gillette Ranger Tech Rhodium Safety Razor, 1941.

JugV2

Simply boring.
Lads I've seen a gorgeous looking razor on the Bay for around $40.

Does anyone have any experience with the Gillette Ranger Tech Rhodium Safety Razor?

If it's in top nick is it a good buy for $40?

Any advice is appreciated.

Lads I've seen a gorgeous looking razor on the Bay for around $40.

Does anyone have any experience with the Gillette Ranger Tech Rhodium Safety Razor?

If it's in top nick is it a good buy for $40?

Any advice is appreciated.

Ranger Techs are highly valued, I'd be surprised if it sold for under $70.
They weren't factory plated in rhodium, so is it a replate, or is the description wrong?

Google found this previous sale Gillette Ranger Tech Rhodium Safety Razor, 1941. Nice | eBay
edit:
See that unknurled bit above the knob? Collectors get kittens for that. Meh, a 1940s superspeed is the same razor but that section is knurled.
Good deal if you can get it reasonably cheap because the rhodium plating makes it look good so worth the price. But a 1940s super speed isn't my favourite razor, too mild, so I wouldn't buy one again unless it was a bargain.
No idea what prices are like these days, I paid $30 for my mint cased 1949 SS with instructions and blades, so $40 for the ranger with rhodium replate is pretty good if it goes that cheap.
At least you know that a similar one went for $76 now.

Last edited:
Yep, same seller.

Ok, that's good to know.

I like the look of it so I might chuck a bid on.

It is replated, according to the bio.

Last edited:
Can't help much, but pabs right, SSpeeds and techs are pretty mild, might be a bit meh after the Jagger.

Drubs what do you mean by mild?

My only experience with a DE razor is the Jagger and briefly a cheap replica Wing razor.

Going on the Slim, the blade gaps are quite small, and the geometry of them makes them feel less aggressive.

If you want to try one, you could probably pick up a good looking Tech for $25. THat one is just a fancy plated one I think.

Drubs what do you mean by mild?

When a razor is described as 'mild', it mean very little blade exposure. Also that you have to dial in your shaving angle more precisely and have it bang on to get a decent shave.
Because of the angle you are restricted to, it may mean less DE blades work well in that razor.
If you have a fast growing tough beard, 'mild' razors aren't usually well suited. They usually take an extra pass or two, a definite ATG pass, and some touch ups

I can shave well with a feather blade and a Tech, don't get me wrong. I sometimes do get out a milder razor for a change and I can get it to work, I just prefer more aggressive razors.
If your facial hair is about the same as body hair, any razor will do the job, I stick to the aggressive end of the scale because my facial hair is dark, thick and tough.

Going on the Slim, the blade gaps are quite small, and the geometry of them makes them feel less aggressive.

If you want to try one, you could probably pick up a good looking Tech for $25. THat one is just a fancy plated one I think.
Standard Tech was the first solid safety bar a 3 piece razor; the ranger tech is one of the first TTO solid safety bar razor not sold in high numbers because of WW2 (along with the regent, milord, aristocrat). It kind of was around for a bit, then redone as the 1940s superspeed after the war, while the basic 3 piece tech was made in high volume.
edit: Look at mr-razors site: Not much in examples for TTO made between 1941 and 1946 http://mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Piece solid guard bar/solid guard bar.htm

Last edited:
I think I have a sure fire idea to know what I may buy next. That is find out what drubbing doesn't like.
Slim
MWF
SOC
Gem SE

They are all my favourites.

So what else don't you like Drubbing? I'll be sure to try them :p

I think I have a sure fire idea to know what I may buy next. That is find out what drubbing doesn't like.
Slim
MWF
SOC
Gem SE

They are all my favourites.

So what else don't you like Drubbing? I'll be sure to try them :p

Well that not very community minded, and here I was politely deferring to your better informed opinion.

Any brush questions? Anyone?

Well that not very community minded, and here I was politely deferring to your better informed opinion.

Any brush questions? Anyone?

Why so serious?
SiXvx.jpg

Last edited:
Well this razor went for just under $90 so I didn't get it. Probably for the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, like I said, surprised if it sold under $70.
I would try find a 'user grade' 1947-1949 superspeed to see if you like the shave from it first, before you buy any collectors razor or a restored razor anyway.
Or just forget about them and buy a slim adjustable. :)
And a NEW...

Aargh don't push me!!

I've already got a 1974 SS on the way.

I spent a couple hours on Ebay last night and very nearly bought another razor...

As it were I put in a few bids on some blade packs.