Glenfarclas 105 - what a bloody stormer!

Monsta_AU

...can I interest you in some vintage blades?
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Grand Society
Well, I was a lucky boy to get a bottle of Glenfarclas 105 (and Springbank 10yo) upon the return of my other half from London about 6 weeks ago. I finally decided to have a go at it tonight after looking at the bottle most days since I returned from Malaysia. Nicks/VintageDirect currently has the 1 litre bottling for $105 so I decided I needed to see if I liked it enough to purchase another bottle.

Now this is an interesting whisky. I will not go into the history of it, apart to mention it is a vatted single malt with No Age Statement (NAS) consisting of various ages, and Sherry cask matured between 10-15 years of age. I am fairly sure there is some older casks in there for flavor, colour and oilyness. You can definitely taste that sharper note of the younger casks through it.

Being a higher ABV bottling, I added two full teaspoons of water to bring it back under 50% alcohol and targeting that 46% 'magic' level. My tongue says I fell a bit short of that, more like 48%. But there is favour galore here - definitely get fresh green apples, toffee and a heap of vanilla, plus some grape notes with a spicy attack from the oak and almost some pepper. A little more water opens it up further and I get sweetness and more malted notes once the scotch mist arrives. A nice long finish as well with only a hint of smoke on the tail, barely there. If you don't like the peat in Scotch then this will not scare you away at all.

For the money, the value is outstanding. Not as good as the 15yo where Glenfarclas has always shined, but you get a significant ABV and great flavor in a 1 litre format for less than many 700ml bottles at 40-43%ABV (Glenfiddich 18yo I am looking at you). Every scotch guy should have a bottle of Glenfarclas - if it cannot be the 15 or 21yo then it should be this because the 30yo is way too expensive.

Highly recommended, even at the normal price. It is a steal at $105/1000ml - get it and something else (Glenfiddich 18yo 700ml on sale for $99) to make $200 for free shipping, or most places in AU get it for $15 post which is still pretty cheap.

Last edited:
I knew I should not have clicked on this thread ...

Picked one of these up from Nicks about a year ago for the same price so he must have a lot. Amazing deal and whisky

I knew I should not have clicked on this thread ...

+1 I've got too many bottle of Scotch Whisky however I'm saving my money to get two bottles of Sullivans Cove Single Cask French Oak - made in Tasmania, and my last bottle of Sullivans Cove has only about 40% left over so I need more of this soon.

Picked one of these up from Nicks about a year ago for the same price so he must have a lot. Amazing deal and whisky

Your not helping!

Thankfully I could not find another product I need on sale to justify the purchase and free shipping :)

Thanks too for you support @SpeedyPC - we have to stare down these enablers!

Your not helping!

Thankfully I could not find another product I need on sale to justify the purchase and free shipping :)

Thanks too for you support @SpeedyPC - we have to stare down these enablers!
But two!
From memory the 700ml is about $140 so this price is a steal. Not to mention a great whisky and high abv so it should last quite a while

But two!
From memory the 700ml is about $140 so this price is a steal. Not to mention a great whisky and high abv so it should last quite a while

You mean buy two?

I did think of that ....

Must resist I have a couple of bottles of single malt in the cupboard anyway which will last me a while.

Damn you/Thank you for the link @Monsta_AU ! Just opened a bottle of Talisker 10yr on the weekend. Looks like the Glenfiddich will be in the cabinet before too long.

FYI Dan Murphy beat Nicks prices. I have had them do this before for the Glenfiddich 18

My tipple is 18-year old Glenfiddich, mmmmm! It's from the same distillery, owned by the Grants. If I recall correctly my childhood Gaelic, "Glenfarclas" means "Grassy Valley" and "Glenfiddich" means "Valley of the Deer".

Yep, was referring to the 18yo Glenfiddich which someone said was $99.
To avoid spending $200 to get free shipping you could get it from Dans.

I was gifted a bottle of "Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or" which, despite its young age of 12-years, is delicious and recommended. It's aged in Sauternes casks, is silky smooth and 46% ABV.
I have a couple of photos should anyone be interested.

Take your Glenmorangie talk to a Glenmorangie thread! This one is about Glenfarclas....

And yes I have the Glenmorangie 10 in the collection....

Looking to buy this but also something else to hit free shipping. I'm a big fan of Talisker & don't mind some of the peatier stuff like Caol Illa or Ardbeg