Got something cool? Non-shaving Acquisitions Thread

Well, finally extracted the digit and got myself a home brew kit.... I was going to get the $50 smaller version from Aldi but apparently the advice is to get the full size kit as you'd end up splitting up and fluffing around with ingredients on the next brew.... No idea what I'm doing when it comes to making beer so a massive learning curve ahead, always wanted to have a go though so looking forward to it :)

This is where the sickness begins - I started on one of these kits about 8 years ago - now I have 4 brewing fridges, temperature controllers, countless kegs, a fridge with taps, stainless fermenters, brewing sofware - and I brew purely from grain now.

As @glenos said, you can make damn good beer from extract - I've won at our local show a few times using only extract.

Welcome to your new obsession!

Fantastic work, @sealer. Maybe now a ciabatta loaf, some good extra virgin olive oil, a squeeze of lemon, and washed down with a cold Quilmes or a glass of Mendoza malbec?
Firs tin went straigth to my stomach, two next went with good bread, some olive oil and oven roasted red capsicum, maybe the other two should go with some lemon or at least a few should be saved to be incorporated into hamburgers or Steak tartar :D

Do you want to see my fermentation chambers web page? It is run off a raspberry pi with temperature probes for fermenter chamber and ambient. Relays switch on heating or cooling as required.

Absolutely! I'm just running an STC-1000 for mine.

I did plenty of "homebrew homework" last night and decided I'd much rather brew an ale instead of the default lager that comes with the Cooper's kit.... I was all prepared to buy the required grains, hops, etc for just over $40 (Kilkennys style Red Ale kit) and headed down to Cannon Hill at lunchtime to pick up the supplies. When I walked in and had a chat with the owners I got pointed in the direction of their fresh worts.... and went for this option instead

https://www.cannonhillbrewing.com.au/fresh-brewers-worts/

Basically add yeast, another 8 litres of water and let it run.... couldn't be easier it seems!

Zrw918zl.jpg

All I need to think about is the initial aeration of the worts, hydration of the dry yeast and hope my garage can maintain a steady brewing temperature.

I did plenty of "homebrew homework" last night and decided I'd much rather brew an ale instead of the default lager that comes with the Cooper's kit.... I was all prepared to buy the required grains, hops, etc for just over $40 (Kilkennys style Red Ale kit) and headed down to Cannon Hill at lunchtime to pick up the supplies. When I walked in and had a chat with the owners I got pointed in the direction of their fresh worts.... and went for this option instead

Basically add yeast, another 8 litres of water and let it run.... couldn't be easier it seems!

Zrw918zl.jpg

All I need to think about is the initial aeration of the worts, hydration of the dry yeast and hope my garage can maintain a steady brewing temperature.

Huh? You gonna drink warts?

Zrw918zl.jpg

Good move. That will make a much better beer than tins of pre hopped gloop.an easy way to go for cooling is to sit the fermenter in a tub of water with a towel wrapped around it wicking up the water while a fan cools it all down.if you decide to stick with it though a cheap second hand fridge and an stc 1000 will have you set to brew anything and cost less than 100 bucks.

Zrw918zl.jpg

Been looking a couple of these here different brand that’s all, keen to see what you think of it

Im in QLD & brew inside downstairs in maintains about 20-25 degrees even in summer, worse case I turn the aircon on and keeps at temp also
The old boy brewed in a big fridge ( no refridge) with a thermometer set up, it a 100 watt light for winter and the cold towels in summer in Bathurst

Been looking a couple of these here different brand that’s all, keen to see what you think of it

Im in QLD & brew inside downstairs in maintains about 20-25 degrees even in summer, worse case I turn the aircon on and keeps at temp also
The old boy brewed in a big fridge ( no refridge) with a thermometer set up, it a 100 watt light for winter and the cold towels in summer in Bathurst

I'm hoping to get started next weekend, I have a wireless temperature data logger coming from eBay that I want to use in the garage and monitor the temperature over a few days.... anything too hot or too cold pops up in the results may see me relocating the setup to the house like yourself.

How strong is the "aroma" during fermentation??? Intense enough that it would rattle the "ball & chains" chain?

Maybe overthinking it with my temperature analysis concern but keen to be successful on the first attempt... besides, it wouldn't be fun if I couldn't find a problem or two to solve :)

Temps make one of the biggest differences in how a brew comes out.yeast react to different temps in what they do during fermentation. At colder temps they make less esters and cleaner alcohol resulting in a clean pleasant beer that taste good. Higher temps they spew out esters and acetaldehyde (green apple taste)and tend to put out hot tasting headache inducing fusel alcohols resulting in a less than delicious beer and nasty hangovers. The vast majority of ale yeasts perform best at 18-20c and lagers at 16 or less.keep in mind that yeast create their own heat during fermentation so this is the wort temp not the room temp which can be up to 5c cooler than the wort during active fermentation.swings in temp are also bad news possibly leading to off flavors like diacetyl or even a stalled ferment if the temps fall after the first couple of days.with good sanitation and temp control making good beer is easy

How strong is the "aroma" during fermentation??? Intense enough that it would rattle the "ball & chains" chain?
I don’t notice it, the bride comments when brewing the rest of the time she claims it smells like a pub anyway more due to the young lads poor poring work
When the old boy did the full grain boiling etc brew, it used to stink the kitchen and house out but