Got something cool? Non-shaving Acquisitions Thread

Blackie

The guy from over the ditch
I just LOVE the SALE banner, for a whole $20 off. That is a whole 1.3% ...
I never saw that. I just put up an Aussie link as I know some of you might struggle to figure out NZ Peso exchange rate.
Bugger...I didn't get a discount. Quite funny to call the company here in NZ. A very Italian accent answers the phone. Maybe the NZ phone number just links to Italy?
Anyway, not a bad machine for someone stepping up from a pod machine.
I do also use a French Press (NO, it's nothing naughty), and a Moka...so I'm not a complete coffee heathen.

Razor Burn

President of the TF Custom Brushes Fan Club
Grand Society
Da Menth Heads
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
Hey, @StratMan, you've started off a nice digression on this thread already filled with cool things, well done. I had thought I might be something of an outlier in my occasional forays into coffees (καφεσ) done the "old way", it's really gratifying to see how many of us go in for it in a world under the dominion of espresso.

I actually go in for my coffee hit in lots of ways, espresso, Greek, siphon, sometimes French press and even hobo style. There are no rules. Oops, there is one: International Roast is NOT coffee. And I still like the glass of water on the side (helps wash down the gritty bits :))

Incidentally, our previous posters missed an important Balkan beverage, slivovitz ("sliva"). Living in Perth for 24 years brought me friends from Macedonia and some of what I'll call the former Yugoslavian countries (where the briki is known as a jezve). My Macedonian next-door neighbour made the most sublime sliva on this planet, and I still have half of a treasured bottle that I keep in remembrance of him.
Rakiya = brandy whereas Slivovitz = plum brandy. There are different types depending on the fruit, grapes, cherries, apricots or even wallnuts and my favourite honey or medovacha. I agree water must go with coffee as it aids the bitterness and helps with digestion. :love:

Hey, @StratMan, you've started off a nice digression on this thread already filled with cool things, well done. I had thought I might be something of an outlier in my occasional forays into coffees (καφεσ) done the "old way", it's really gratifying to see how many of us go in for it in a world under the dominion of espresso.

I actually go in for my coffee hit in lots of ways, espresso, Greek, siphon, sometimes French press and even hobo style. There are no rules. Oops, there is one: International Roast is NOT coffee. And I still like the glass of water on the side (helps wash down the gritty bits :))

Incidentally, our previous posters missed an important Balkan beverage, slivovitz ("sliva"). Living in Perth for 24 years brought me friends from Macedonia and some of what I'll call the former Yugoslavian countries (where the briki is known as a jezve). My Macedonian next-door neighbour made the most sublime sliva on this planet, and I still have half of a treasured bottle that I keep in remembrance of him.
Good to hear others are enjoying the pleasures of a 'balkan' cafe :)

I have personally gone full circle, started on Greek cafe, , went to instant, got into beans/expresso, back to instant (pure laziness) back to Greek cafe (the Beko maker allows for my laziness while still enjoying a proper cup.

Still on the cafe hunt and these were half price at Foodland so couldnt resist. The blue label is dark roasted, giving a very strong taste of cafe and the Red normal (Mild). Had three this morning.. First was the Orange label, nice standard cafe. The blue label is a dark roast and initially I thought I liked the Orange better, but def prefer the Blue. Third cup this morning was a 50/50 mix of the two and this is the one that hit the spot..

Overall the Mehmet Efendi cafe is the best tasting and cleanest (grit free) while drinking but the 50/50 mix of the Griffiths brand is pretty dam good and also pretty cheap.

got nice stash of cafe to last a while now :)