Got something cool? Non-shaving Acquisitions Thread

I just LOVE the SALE banner, for a whole $20 off. That is a whole 1.3% ...
I never saw that. I just put up an Aussie link as I know some of you might struggle to figure out NZ Peso exchange rate.
Bugger...I didn't get a discount. Quite funny to call the company here in NZ. A very Italian accent answers the phone. Maybe the NZ phone number just links to Italy?
Anyway, not a bad machine for someone stepping up from a pod machine.
I do also use a French Press (NO, it's nothing naughty), and a Moka...so I'm not a complete coffee heathen.

Hey, @StratMan, you've started off a nice digression on this thread already filled with cool things, well done. I had thought I might be something of an outlier in my occasional forays into coffees (καφεσ) done the "old way", it's really gratifying to see how many of us go in for it in a world under the dominion of espresso.

I actually go in for my coffee hit in lots of ways, espresso, Greek, siphon, sometimes French press and even hobo style. There are no rules. Oops, there is one: International Roast is NOT coffee. And I still like the glass of water on the side (helps wash down the gritty bits :))

Incidentally, our previous posters missed an important Balkan beverage, slivovitz ("sliva"). Living in Perth for 24 years brought me friends from Macedonia and some of what I'll call the former Yugoslavian countries (where the briki is known as a jezve). My Macedonian next-door neighbour made the most sublime sliva on this planet, and I still have half of a treasured bottle that I keep in remembrance of him.
Rakiya = brandy whereas Slivovitz = plum brandy. There are different types depending on the fruit, grapes, cherries, apricots or even wallnuts and my favourite honey or medovacha. I agree water must go with coffee as it aids the bitterness and helps with digestion. :love:

Hey, @StratMan, you've started off a nice digression on this thread already filled with cool things, well done. I had thought I might be something of an outlier in my occasional forays into coffees (καφεσ) done the "old way", it's really gratifying to see how many of us go in for it in a world under the dominion of espresso.

I actually go in for my coffee hit in lots of ways, espresso, Greek, siphon, sometimes French press and even hobo style. There are no rules. Oops, there is one: International Roast is NOT coffee. And I still like the glass of water on the side (helps wash down the gritty bits :))

Incidentally, our previous posters missed an important Balkan beverage, slivovitz ("sliva"). Living in Perth for 24 years brought me friends from Macedonia and some of what I'll call the former Yugoslavian countries (where the briki is known as a jezve). My Macedonian next-door neighbour made the most sublime sliva on this planet, and I still have half of a treasured bottle that I keep in remembrance of him.

Good to hear others are enjoying the pleasures of a 'balkan' cafe :)

I have personally gone full circle, started on Greek cafe, , went to instant, got into beans/expresso, back to instant (pure laziness) back to Greek cafe (the Beko maker allows for my laziness while still enjoying a proper cup.

Either way people in Balkans sure do know how to enjoy their fruits :)

And lets not forget ouzo and mastika, the taste of anise is special with some meze on the side.

i agree about the glass of water with a coffee, a must for me.

ouzo and tipsero can both be made with or without the sweet resin from the masika tree (depends on your region)

51013426670_69737420ff_z.jpg

51013426695_1d61682132_z.jpg

Still on the cafe hunt and these were half price at Foodland so couldnt resist. The blue label is dark roasted, giving a very strong taste of cafe and the Red normal (Mild). Had three this morning.. First was the Orange label, nice standard cafe. The blue label is a dark roast and initially I thought I liked the Orange better, but def prefer the Blue. Third cup this morning was a 50/50 mix of the two and this is the one that hit the spot..

Overall the Mehmet Efendi cafe is the best tasting and cleanest (grit free) while drinking but the 50/50 mix of the Griffiths brand is pretty dam good and also pretty cheap.

got nice stash of cafe to last a while now :)

I've had a hedge trimmer attachment to my whipper snipper for a while, but it was heavy and unwieldy. When I had some professionals in to really give the front hedge a good trim they were all using cordless trimmers, so I've been looking at one for a while. Finally bit the bullet yesterday (nobody at Bunnings at 8:30pm on a Friday night BTW so very COVIDsafe) and got a Ryobi 36V cordless trimmer.

IOxEC9el.jpg

This is part of the results from using this afternoon, battery still 1/4 charged. Note the thickness of the branch at the end, 30mm on my clipers, beyond the stated 25.4). Not the cleanest cut, but did the job

R3iIaIal.jpg

There is a more expensive brushless one with a slightly longer (650 rather than 600) blade but the 600 on this was still longer than the 450 on the attachment and being lighter I could stretch further on the ladder. Happy camper so far

Last edited:
I've had a hedge trimmer attachment to my whipper snipper for a while, but it was heavy and unwieldy. When I had some professionals in to really give the front hedge a good trim they were all using cordless trimmers, so I've been looking at one for a while. Finally bit the bullet yesterday (nobody at Bunnings at 8:30pm on a Friday night BTW so very COVIDsafe) and got a Ryobi 36V cordless trimmer.

IOxEC9el.jpg

This is part of the results from using this afternoon, battery still 1/4 charged. Note the thickness of the branch at the end. Not the cleanest cut, but did the job

R3iIaIal.jpg

There is a more expensive brushless one with a slightly longer (650 rather than 600) blade but the 600 on this was still longer than the 450 on the attachment and being lighter I could stretch further on the ladder. Happy camper so far

Man! I am impressed that a hedge trimmer was capable of cutting that larger branch. I'd honestly have thought it would have jammed up or not had the power to do that.

Man! I am impressed that a hedge trimmer was capable of cutting that larger branch. I'd honestly have thought it would have jammed up or not had the power to do that.

So was I, measured it after the post - 30mm, more than the rates 25.4mm. Took a bit of 'sawing' with the trimmer and it is a brand new blade, but I certainly was impressed too.

Pretty easy to work with as well, lighted and better balanced that the attachment.

I want to Bunnings, you know.. to browse but Mr Barr said I wasn’t allowed.

This was an essential purchase ;)

So was I, measured it after the post - 30mm, more than the rates 25.4mm. Took a bit of 'sawing' with the trimmer and it is a brand new blade, but I certainly was impressed too.

Pretty easy to work with as well, lighted and better balanced that the attachment.

This was an essential purchase ;)
Can you write me a note to give to my wife so I can go too?

IOxEC9el.jpg

This is part of the results from using this afternoon, battery still 1/4 charged. Note the thickness of the branch at the end, 30mm on my clipers, beyond the stated 25.4). Not the cleanest cut, but did the job

R3iIaIal.jpg

nice trimmer, the ryobi range is perfect for the home user.. i have a few and recommend their lantern, it also uses the same battery your trimmer takes i reckon.. took mine away this weekend and does its job perfectly

Yeah, the 36v range tends to get slightly better reviews than the 18v range, although it does have less options. I think if my petrol whipper snipper goes then I might get one of the 36v cordless to replace it.

Is why I recommend EGO cordless electric gear.
Their self peopelled mower cuts through thick wet grass better than some petrol mowers I've used for example!
Their blowers are beasts.

Mark1966 enabled this one...
y4mtgTWyaPcDH9AzEYGtWTQGTmncCvmQXIvyXkLwMThybpE177L5J6FWT5fCVvtQK4XnO2K_qpmo0MrN6DMjr-IBDClM7BPmkHWZDc_q9pv6bEYztPcZ43SG7MtDyfDHkOPvzuwQZ7Tp_d_le-2yaHTuOqZ90TSmmBekpjYTcSpJraSx4eYsrHpoIehCan2mfk5

Nice work! Although you didn't go for the thick gold one? The story of the plane and the process is cool.

I've got two now, one from each of the QF 747s they have offered.

Is why I recommend EGO cordless electric gear.
Their self propelled mower cuts through thick wet grass better than some petrol mowers I've used for example!
Their blowers are beasts.

Now you mention it I've heard good things about them. 56v system so the next level up again.

IOxEC9el.jpg

R3iIaIal.jpg

Ohhhh, looking at all this gardening work is making me hungry. Lucky I got my takoyaki grill today

iyKFwC7.jpg

Edit: better pick up some beer on the way home from work too

Last edited: