Greetings folks!

Kevlar Merkin

Hello P&C. May I call you P&C? I hope to pick up your names as I go along. Been into Wet Shaving for just under five years now. Started with an ignorant purchase of a razor shaped object that looked like a straight. Knowing some of what I didn't know I brought it to a local knife maker to discuss honing. "Bad Geometry, it's a butter knife" he told me. Too late as I was already interested. Went to a Ladies Beauty Supply store where I found a 1/2 DE blade shavette, a very cheap boar brush, and a puck of tallow soap that had gone rancid sitting on the shelf. After some internet forum reading, couple of mail order purchases, and the start of antique & thrift store shopping - I had a better set up. That set me on my path to enjoying vintage Gillette DE razors, Omega boar brushes, many soaps and aftershaves along the way. I never lost interest in straight razors though I understand my limitations. The stones I use to maintain kitchen knives are not the right stuff. The old Barber's hone I picked up is only good for a touch up. Eventually the collection of selectively purchased straights reached the point of being passed my meager sharpening skills. They were supplanted with an increasing interest in DE and Schick injector blade holders. I never forgot my early curiosity of open blades so when a kamisori style shave appeared on the scene I tried one of them, too. About the only style of razor I've not learned to enjoy? Gem type single edge razors. Could be the blades I tried but I'm having too much fun with all the rest of these toys.

An opportunity has presented itself. If you haven't already figured out, I'm an American. My oldest son met an Australian lady while playing one of those games young folks enjoy. They visited each other a couple of times and decided they were a good match. Their first child is expected this coming October there in your city of Melbourne. I'm hoping to be visiting around that time. Besides holding the new baby & congratulating the parents I'm thinking I'll assist in some home repairs and possibly an addition to their house & business. A bit of sight seeing, tasting the new to me foods, whatever fun I can work into a visit.

So I have a question for Y'all. What should I pack in my luggage that might please a shaver? I'm thinking shave goods since I read y'all have occasional meet ups. Not sure what the Customs Inspectors will allow. Double Edge Gillettes and Schicks? Maybe some Pinaud aftershaves? I'm not sure I could get any straight razors passed the X-ray machines.

Anyway I'm looking forward to the visit. Hope to make some new friends here on P&C and there when I'm in country. I think I recognize a couple names from another forum. Anyone here member on The Shave Den?

Welcome @Kevlar Merkin to P&C. There is a bit of everything on this forum so you’ll fit right in. Enjoy your trip to Australia and if you let the Melbourne members know early enough they may even be able to arrange a meet up to coincide with your holiday.

Welcome @Kevlar Merkin
I believe the trick to getting reasonable shaves on holidays to take gear that it would not kill you if it was to be lost, stolen or broken. Leave the precious family heirloom razor behind etc.
for software, bring what you enjoy and get good shaves from. What are your favourite soaps or creams to use?

There should hopefully be enough interest to arrange a meetup here during your visit. The weather in October will be nice too!

Welcome @Kevlar Merkin !

Another Yank stealing an Australian lady I see. Used to happen in WWII with the sailors I remember from school and still seems to be happening! I suppose that almost makes you an Aussie though - so welcome :)

Shave wise you can't pack anything exciting in your carry on - but more freedom in your checked including *some* aftershave and colognes (the amount somewhat disputed). Aussie customs can be brutal about quarantine law though so please do make sure you fill out the incoming passenger card correctly :)

Welcome @Kevlar Merkin
I'm intrigued on your chosen alias name. As some else will pick up on it too and ask. Kevlar, a strong synthetic material. Merkin, a wig for the never regions.

Congratulations on the down under family and hope they & you have years of happiness!

Anyway to answer your question. Australian Customs are pretty much the same as yours just not as f#*ked up.
Any blades or sharp objects in your hand luggage is verboten. They are fine in your checked in luggage in suitable carriers. There is an alcohol (2.5L) and separate rule for perfumes (can't find the latter now) and guess someone else might link that rule to it here for you.
If your razor/items have ivory or a rare antiquities then don't bring them. If spotted they ask for paperwork on them. Rest of shaving kit should be fine. Same rules roughly apply to interstate flights as well, no sharps of any* kind in your hand luggage.

Welcome @Kevlar Merkin

I'm intrigued on your chosen alias name. As some else will pick up on it too and ask. Kevlar, a strong synthetic material. Merkin, a wig for the never regions.

So we are talking about a bullet proof [cricket] box? Right?

Greetings, Kevlar. I recognise you from the Shave Den. The weather should be very pleasant in October. The main shaving products that are hard to get here are aftershaves and edt's from artisans because they cannot be sent airmail and the quantities are too small to send by ship. Major names like TOBS etc are available. So my suggestion would be to bring a few (not many) bottles of good artisan aftershaves or edt's.

So we are talking about a bullet proof [cricket] box? Right?

What’s in a name anyway? Maybe it’s something a little less literal and Kevlar = Shield/protection, Merkin = down under. Therefore it is a reference to USA-Aus connection (although I’m not sure being called a merkin is all that flattering...) or I’m going completely crazy here and the name just sounded cool.

Either way, @Kevlar Merkin I’m sure the Melbourne members would be happy to try organise a meet up while you are visiting.