Greetings from Northern Tassie!

Gargravarr

Our resident snake charmer
Hi all,

Not new to wet shaving, but new here. In my late 50s now, I have to admit to having perpetrated some barbaric practices such as lathering up with Pears hand soap without a brush (yes, really, and for a long time until a formula change made this too uncomfortable).

Even that doesn't equal my only experience with "straight" shaving: Late in the '70s I was working as a junior sous chef for a boss who insisted that you should be able to shave with your kitchen knives. I quickly learned two things: one, a kitchen knife can be made sharp enough to shave with, but it doesn't make a good razor. Two, it doesn't really make a very good kitchen knife.

Make that three things: my boss was full of crap.

Anyhoo, the lockdown gave me lots of time to give the matter some thought and really start enjoying the process. Alas and farewell dear lockdown, for I loved thee... (*)

* Apologies to those who have been less fortunate as a result of the lockdown

Welcome @Gargravarr

After some of your early experiences it’s a wonder you’re not wearing a full beard. Enjoy the forum and don’t be afraid to ask for information, there’s always someone who can step forward with their opinion.

I confess to lathering with hand soap once upon a time @Gargravarr = so you are not alone!

Welcome :)

Me too.... I’ve been using hand soap shaving with a cartridge razor when I hated the can goo shaving cream in my early teens.

Welcome to P&C @Gargravarr

Oh good grief - not on the same page as Speedy AGAIN!

Oh good grief - not on the same page as Speedy AGAIN!

Oh, saved you the trouble @SpeedyPC

4OLxtwC.gif

assuming you have put the Pears hand soap and kitchen knives aside what is your current kit?
Razorock JAWS (since about a week ago: loving it), Mühle R41, Merkur 34C somewhere in a drawer. Razorock Plissoft brush. B&M Cheshire, Whispers From the Woods Lavande, and waiting impatiently on an order of Noble Otter Two Kings from Top of the Chain, since domestic suppliers seem to be all sold out. My go-to blades are Astra SP and sometimes Feather for special occasions...