Guide to stropping your straight razor

Mark

Ze Honemeisterer
Artisan Producer
When you first receive your straight razor from me (or whoever hones your razors), you will not need to strop it on your first use, just wipe away the protective oil and shave. After your shave it is recommended that you strop your straight razor to clean the edge.

Remember to prepare your strop before picking up your razor. Pull the strop taught and vigorously rub the palm of your back and forth on the leather side, this allows for the strop to warm up from the friction and soften by taking natural oils from your skin. Do this every time you strop.

When using a hanging strop, pull the strop so that it's taught, you do not need to hang off it. Using your dominant hand, lay the razor down so that both the edge and the spine are resting on your strop, do not press down on your razor, do not lift the spin at any given point.

Carefully draw the razor with the spine leading so that the edge trails, after your first stroke, flip the razor on its spine and come back down. That is one lap, pressure is not required. Repeat this process and remember that speed is not necessary, it will not make your edge any better if you go faster so take your time and enjoy the experience.

You may use the canvas, cotton or poly webbing side of your strop if it has one before taking it to the leather side, if it doesn't have one it's not a problem as it is not necessary, the leather side is all you need for regular stropping.

Instructional video below

With stropping, I've been told that you can practise with a piece of newspaper folded with a bulldog clip one end. Using a butter knife, you can practise what it's like to get the muscle memory happening. You really don't need much tension on the leather.

The width doesn't matter asu h as you think either. I've also got a small, thin strop but it's still works out ok. Doing a X isn't too difficult. (I also have a wider roo strop but ain't using it just yet...)

With stropping, I've been told that you can practise with a piece of newspaper folded with a bulldog clip one end. Using a butter knife, you can practise what it's like to get the muscle memory happening. You really don't need much tension on the leather.

The width doesn't matter asu h as you think either. I've also got a small, thin strop but it's still works out ok. Doing a X isn't too difficult. (I also have a wider roo strop but ain't using it just yet...)

Yes that's not a bad idea, you can use that method with anything even if you fold up a small towel. It's all about confidence, I'd hate to admit but if you're scared to rip it you most likely will. Once it's in the muscle memory its very hard to go wrong, in saying that with regular practice it won't take long at all to master it.

Yes that's not a bad idea, you can use that method with anything even if you fold up a small towel. It's all about confidence, I'd hate to admit but if you're scared to rip it you most likely will. Once it's in the muscle memory its very hard to go wrong, in saying that with regular practice it won't take long at all to master it.
I haven't found it an issue at all. I think if you're not trying to race up and down, and you've practised a bit with a butter knife, it's dead easy and straight forward.

I think muscle memory plays a larger part in straight razor shaving than using a DE. Seems like more is happening.

I haven't found it an issue at all. I think if you're not trying to race up and down, and you've practised a bit with a butter knife, it's dead easy and straight forward.

I think muscle memory plays a larger part in straight razor shaving than using a DE. Seems like more is happening.
I agree filobiblic. There's no complication, just a little bit of time for some practice. Anyone can do it.

May I humbly suggest this thread be made a sticky?

Video is private!! :-(

Last edited:
Video has been removed now :(
Generally, how many strokes/laps is recommended?

There are others who are certainly more knowledgeable than I for I am but a well read noob but;

My understanding is about 20 post shave, 40-60 preshave (1 = up and back)
Some split those with 1/3 on linen, remainder on leather. I do all mine on leather and palm strop 5-10 before and after hitting the leather.

Hi, so i have heard conflicting stories about whether to strop post shave but to leave it (clean and dry) and only strop pre shave next time, is there any value in this?

Hi, so i have heard conflicting stories about whether to strop post shave but to leave it (clean and dry) and only strop pre shave next time, is there any value in this?
Personal subjectivity I believe.
Just make sure it's clean and dry would be key. Some wipe. Some strop. Some do both.

I lightly strop mine on clean linen for about 10 laps after the shave then 30 on linen and 50 or more on leather before the next shave. And don't forget a palm stropping between passes is quite useful.

I only give mine a few laps on linen after shaving to clean anything of the edge. Then strop before each shave

Well after looking at edges through a scope after shaves and then after stropping. I'm convinced that the edge is cleaner and therefore going to corrode less after a post shave strop. 10 on canvas and 20 on leather for me. I also plan strop in the hope I get some skin oils on there before putting away.

I practiced with a shavette without the blade.

"Another day, a whole 'nother set of possibilities."

MacGyver