Hello from Ballarat

I often wonder if it's even true that they're platinum coated. I can't see that it makes sense for something that sells for about 10 or 15 cents to have that when I only use it twice (face and dome) and discard.

The ones from reputable brands are platinum coated - several people did bother to use lab mass spectrometers and there is a distinct Pt reading. Russian P&G plant blades are prime example: if they say platinum, they have platinum. One blade (GSB?) had platinum coating on readings even though it didn't mention Pt. :)

Interestingly enough, polsilvers didn't read any iridium.

Now, there are also 'platinum' blades from places like egypt/pakistan and those are different story. No platinum whatsoever.

The ones from reputable brands are platinum coated - several people did bother to use lab mass spectrometers and there is a distinct Pt reading. Russian P&G plant blades are prime example: if they say platinum, they have platinum. One blade (GSB?) had platinum coating on readings even though it didn't mention Pt. :)

Interestingly enough, polsilvers didn't read any iridium.

Now, there are also 'platinum' blades from places like egypt/pakistan and those are different story. No platinum whatsoever.
Hmmm, thanks for that. I do have a chemistry background, but for some reason I've just been too lazy to bother investigating. (And since I left Uni, I no longer have access to a mass spectrometer.) A quick test with a Bunsen burner would reveal the presence of a high-melting-point metal, and of course none of the common acids will react with this residue.

Not in the least surprised at the absence of iridium in Polsilvers, given that it's one of the rarest elements in the Earth's crust. It just brings me back to my original suspicion that the casual use of these metals was no different to saying I have a gold credit card. I don't have a niobium credit card either. 😊

Hi Andrew
In case you're still looking for your razor, I have a Merkur 34C I'm not using, so if you're interested, I would be happy to send it to you free of charge. It might as well get some use, and if you decide you don't like it, maybe you could pass it on the same way.
Cheers

Incidentally, your thought of getting a selection of blades is a good one. It's the only way you'll find out what works for you. My personal favourites are Astra SP and Feather, and lots of people have good things to say about Gillette Nacet, so I'm going to give that a try soon. The only one I've really hated and wouldn't use if they were the last blades on the planet is Merkur.

Someone mentioned the Razorock Plissoft, and I can second that. I've had mine for a while, and it hasn't lost a single hair, unlike the fabulously expensive Simpson badger I bought in 1982 and is hopeless now. (Maybe I should complain) But I like the cheaper brush just as much, and it doesn't need any of the TLC that badgers or pigs do.

Thanks for the very generous offer. I have already ordered the Rockwell 6C razor. Gald to hear good things about the Razorock Plissoft brush as thats the brush I purchased.

That was my first brush, it really is good and could stand proud as anybody's only brush. I still use it sometimes even after acquiring a variety of others.

was also my first brush, but once i got my yaqi synthetics the RR never saw the light of day again.. now that i am getting into badgers, yaqi synthetics are not getting much use :)

was also my first brush, but once i got my yaqi synthetics the RR never saw the light of day again.. now that i am getting into badgers, yaqi synthetics are not getting much use :)
I agree 100% and am doing my best to resist the need to add more badgers to the den. :nailbiting:

As a first brush you can't go wrong with the Plissoft as its a great knot but prefer the Tuxedo knot.

Badgers are the end game IMO

It took a while.. but finally
tenor.gif

cant wait for my matilda le

the tuxedo was my #1 synth.. but i the pony knot took that spot soon as i got it
Yeah I was tempted to try the pony but not allowed another brush after adding 2 awesome badgers to the den. Synthetics are great but badgers are a different shaving experience :)

Yeah I was tempted to try the pony but not allowed another brush after adding 2 awesome badgers to the den. Synthetics are great but badgers are a different shaving experience :)

absolutely.. took me a while to work that out, but they certainly do have their place.. IMHO there is no better travelling brush than a synthetic. No need to worry about drying your brush and they are so cheap it doesnt really matter if you lose it

absolutely.. took me a while to work that out, but they certainly do have their place.. IMHO there is no better travelling brush than a synthetic. No need to worry about drying your brush and they are so cheap it doesnt really matter if you lose it
I very new learning curve as I'm so used to grabbing the synth as opposed to waiting for the badger to dry, especially the Rhodium knot which is super dense and loves to hold water. :dead: