Hello from Ballarat

One last thing - Beard & Blade Double Edge Blade Kit (50) - blades are very personal but

You will get more opinions than people and it is really NOT that super critical what you buy, but don't use the bottom four first up and think DE shaving is horrible!

I've done some research on Blades on the forum and at http://www.vshod.com/ which seems to be the cheapest site I've found

Would the below list be better than the standard pack above both for price and quailty?

Have I missed any blades that I should try?

Astra Superior Platinum $ 1.00 5 pack
Astra Super Stainless $ 1.50 5 pack
Derby Extra $ 1.00 5 pack
Derby Premium $ 1.00 5 pack
Feather Hi-Stainless $ 3.80 10 pack
GILLETTE 7 O'Clock GREEN $ 1.50 5 pack
Gillette Silver Blue $1.80 5 pack

Total $13.10 for 45 blades

I've done some research on Blades on the forum and at http://www.vshod.com/ which seems to be the cheapest site I've found

Would the below list be better than the standard pack above both for price and quailty?

With free shipping - absolutely!

While I was there I would also get definitely get POLSILVER Super Iridium DE Razor Blades - 5 Blades $2.90 - lots of love for them.

I'd also think about getting -

GILLETTE
NACET DE Safety Razor Blades - 5 Blades $1.50
VOSKHOD Teflon Coated DE Safety Razor Blades - 10 Blades $2.00

Both have their fans

If you are buying from Vshod, you should definitely grab a pack of Euromax blades

I'd tack on:
Euromax - Cheap (100 for $7.95 if you email vshod for them) on par with Nacet IMO
Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow (if green is sold out) - Great performer
Polsilver - Very popular
Gillette Nacet - Popular blade
Voshkod - Popular blade

While I was there I would also get definitely get POLSILVER Super Iridium DE Razor Blades - 5 Blades $2.90 - lots of love for them.

GILLETTE NACET DE Safety Razor Blades - 5 Blades $1.50
VOSKHOD
Teflon Coated DE Safety Razor Blades - 10 Blades $2.00

Both have their fans
If you are buying from Vshod, you should definitely grab a pack of Euromax blades

I'd tack on:
Euromax - Cheap (100 for $7.95 if you email vshod for them) on par with Nacet IMO
Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow (if green is sold out) - Great performer
Polsilver - Very popular
Gillette Nacet - Popular blade
Voshkod - Popular blade

Thanks guys I'll look at them too.

Should I think about removing any blades from my list?

Definitely get Voskhod...I personally don't know anyone who actually shaves with Derby's...

Thanks guys I'll look at them too.

Should I think about removing any blades from my list?

No... You need to learn how to experience different types of blades, because, YMMV during your shave.

Good grief - I think I agree with Speedy!

None of the ones mentioned in this thread are duds ...

Definitely get Voskhod...I personally don't know anyone who actually shaves with Derby's...

... as despite what some people say I've shaved with Derby blades a few times and would again if I had them. Not great but not horrible.

4OLxtwC.gif

GILLETTE NACET DE Safety Razor Blades - 5 Blades $1.50
VOSKHOD
Teflon Coated DE Safety Razor Blades - 10 Blades $2.00

Both have their fans
+1 on the Polsilvers & Nacets (pair great with the 6S if you decide on getting one?) :love:

Last edited:

... as despite what some people say I've shaved with Derby blades a few times and would again if I had them. Not great but not horrible.
Agree with Derby's but Voskod (and Ladas) don't work for me. As a rule I tend to stay away from Platinum coated blades as they irritate my skin :(

Did you buy anything already?

I'm in Ballarat, and can gladly share blade samples (there are very few decent blades I DONT have in a stash) and can probably give you 6c for a test drive for couple of weeks.
Thanks for the offer but I ordered already. Great to see another from ballarat.

First order from VSHOD. Great service and a few free extras 😃 top 2 rows were the free extras. Now just waiting for my razor from beard and blade to arrive.

IMG_20200618_141620.jpg
arko-shaving-stick-shaving-soap-1_1_526x.jpg

You need some Arko shave stick, you’ll love the smell of disinfectant toilet lemon scent, fantastic to keep the blood sucking bastard mosquitoes away.

YTUObPk.gif

As a rule I tend to stay away from Platinum coated blades as they irritate my skin :(
I often wonder if it's even true that they're platinum coated. I can't see that it makes sense for something that sells for about 10 or 15 cents to have that when I only use it twice (face and dome) and discard.

Incidentally, though the mint tin is an excellent idea, my trick is to collect a big stack together, then tie them in place with twist ties or thin wire so there's no single exposed edge for anyone to hurt themselves on, then toss into the metal recycling bin.

I often wonder if it's even true that they're platinum coated. I can't see that it makes sense for something that sells for about 10 or 15 cents to have that when I only use it twice (face and dome) and discard.

Incidentally, though the mint tin is an excellent idea, my trick is to collect a big stack together, then tie them in place with twist ties or thin wire so there's no single exposed edge for anyone to hurt themselves on, then toss into the metal recycling bin.
Slight correction, it appears I have a reaction to Teflon/Chrome coated blades (Voshkod, Ladas, Shark, etc) but I get your point as it makes little sense coating a cheap as chips blade with a premium coating such as Platinum.

Hi everyone,
$69 - Merkur Solingen Heavy Duty Safety Razor HD (34C)

Hi Andrew
In case you're still looking for your razor, I have a Merkur 34C I'm not using, so if you're interested, I would be happy to send it to you free of charge. It might as well get some use, and if you decide you don't like it, maybe you could pass it on the same way.
Cheers

Incidentally, your thought of getting a selection of blades is a good one. It's the only way you'll find out what works for you. My personal favourites are Astra SP and Feather, and lots of people have good things to say about Gillette Nacet, so I'm going to give that a try soon. The only one I've really hated and wouldn't use if they were the last blades on the planet is Merkur.

Someone mentioned the Razorock Plissoft, and I can second that. I've had mine for a while, and it hasn't lost a single hair, unlike the fabulously expensive Simpson badger I bought in 1982 and is hopeless now. (Maybe I should complain) But I like the cheaper brush just as much, and it doesn't need any of the TLC that badgers or pigs do.

Last edited:

At some of the Dollar King style stores you can buy steel money boxes that are perfect to store and recycle used blades.
I have used the same one for 5 years and nowhere near full.
The one in question has large Aust currency may printed on the side