Hello from Uk

Poor old grunter. Comes here for advice on Australian shaving gear and gets told to eat steak and buy kangaroo scrotum pouches. I think we can safely conclude there ain't much in the way of Aussie shaving gear.

... or both?

Poor old grunter. Comes here for advice on Australian shaving gear and gets told to eat steak and buy kangaroo scrotum pouches. I think we can safely conclude there ain't much in the way of Aussie shaving gear.

Hope you are all having sweet dreams whilst I type. Re the Roo scrotums ,to be fair I brought this subject up. However I should have known it wouldn't take long to start talking bollocks:cheesy:

I have to say you make Oz sound like a barren shaving wasteland.It looks like Mark1966 has probably got most of the shaving supplies cornered over there but to be fair he does lives near Canberra so has to find something to fill his time with! (Sorry Mark1966- said with tongue massively in cheek:p
I imagine members here waiting outside his house for him to throw his old stuff out.

I got my massive collection of razors (1x HD rocket, 1x tech!) from Ebay like you guys but I'm led to believe if you keep youe eyes open there are things to find in Antique shops.

Other than Australian beer (Coopers is a safe bet for something readily available, if not there's plenty of craft beers now), I would really encourage you to sample as much Australian beef as you can. I ate beef in every country of the UK when I was there, and whilst there's no doubting there's some nice dishes to be had (really enjoyed my haggis and black puddings!) a good Australian steak is hard to beat.

Mr626-

1.Can I take kids into Aussie pubs or will I have to tether them outside with a bag of chips (crisps)?.
2. I'm a veggie............................................(not really).

I do recall that after spending nearly 4 months over there years ago I had an impacted colon and took weeks to have a s**t due to eating so much fine meat (we Brits do like to chat about our toilet habits:weird:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope you are all having sweet dreams whilst I type. Re the Roo scrotums ,to be fair I brought this subject up. However I should have known it wouldn't take long to start talking bollocks:cheesy:

No, I'm here too - looking to buy razors from the UK!

I have to say you make Oz sound like a barren shaving wasteland.It looks like Mark1966 has probably got most of the shaving supplies cornered over there but to be fair he does lives near Canberra so has to find something to fill his time with! (Sorry Mark1966 - said with tongue massively in cheek:p
I imagine members here waiting outside his house for him to throw his old stuff out.

No offence taken - that was pretty mild! I'm not Canberra born either so it is all good :)

I got my massive collection of razors (1x HD rocket, 1x tech!) from Ebay like you guys but I'm led to believe if you keep your eyes open there are things to find in Antique shops.

I have found stuff in the wild and it is immensely satisfying! The HD is a great razor and a nice way to start a collection. Now just watch the B/S/T here for some special deals from time to time. We had TWO Double Rings for sale at one point, that must be a world first!

Now that what I call commitment.Looking at the photo's of your collection there can't be many left to buy can there?

Not too many - just the hard to find ones!

Mr626-

1.Can I take kids into Aussie pubs or will I have to tether them outside with a bag of chips (crisps)?.
2. I'm a veggie............................................(not really).

I do recall that after spending nearly 4 months over there years ago I had an impacted colon and took weeks to have a s**t due to eating so much fine meat (we Brits do like to chat about our toilet habits:weird:)

I'm not sure about kids in pubs (don't have kids myself). Personally, I don't think our pubs are as nice as the ones you have back home anyway- a nice cafe that serves beer would be a better choice.

When I did my RSA three years ago, the law in my state allowed children to be in pubs while accompanied by a guardian. Some pubs limit access to the dining room or bistro. Not all pubs permit this, but legally, a child is permitted to have a drink too as long as it is accompanied by a meal.

As long as you're not hanging out in the sports bar, I don't think you'll have any trouble with the kids in most pubs mate.

I'm not sure about kids in pubs (don't have kids myself). Personally, I don't think our pubs are as nice as the ones you have back home anyway- a nice cafe that serves beer would be a better choice.

I've found that the majority of pubs here seem to be places to get pissed in, rather than be a social hub that coincidentally serves alcohol. I think I've only found a few pubs in Aus that I would consider the "local" for the area they are in.

We have a couple of nice pubs in CBR - but also a few 'taverns' where I would not take kids.

Being Australia even the scrungiest pub usually has an outdoor area where you can take a family

We have a couple of nice pubs in CBR - but also a few 'taverns' where I would not take kids.

Being Australia even the scrungiest pub usually has an outdoor area where you can take a family

Depending on the weather the outdoor area is where you want to be at most pubs. Unless of course you land in an industrial area pub/tavern on a Friday after knock off and your kids are not fans of skimpys.

Depending on the weather the outdoor area is where you want to be at most pubs. Unless of course you land in an industrial area pub/tavern on a Friday after knock off and your kids are not fans of skimpys.

Skimpys ???

Of course you live in PC Canberra. Skimpys are reasonably ugly girls with lots of make up who serve drinks skimpily dressed. Hence.....skimpys. It's quite sad really.

Of course you live in PC Canberra. Skimpys are reasonably ugly girls with lots of make up who serve drinks skimpily dressed. Hence.....skimpys. It's quite sad really.

Yep, sounds pretty sad :(

I would have thought Mrs Grunter (presuming there is one) would be less impressed with skimpys than his kids.

I would have thought Mrs Grunter (presuming there is one) would be less impressed with skimpys than his kids.

Cheers for all the replies fella's. Aah I remember the 'Skimpy' bars fondly as an impressionable young man accompanied by the future Mrs Grunter whilst travelling around your fair land 20 years ago.
We stood agog outside one of these establishments in Freemantle, amazed that women served beers in their undies but also all the windows had been flung open allowing unfettered viewing access from the pavement! We stood there that long we almost took root!
Which just reminds me of another tale, the word 'root', In Sydney I was rummaging around in my pocket in a shop looking for some small change to pay with and I said to the attractive female assistant " I'll just have a root around in my pocket" accompanied by vigorous hand movements in my deep front jeans pocket (obviously next to my gentlemens area).I'm positive that these movements were not accompanied by a lecherous look on my face at the time. Suffice to say she looked shocked,appalled and embarrased at the same time which I found a bit strange as I was only making payment. I told this tale later to some friends we were visiting who told me the localism for 'root,rooting' etc:wacko: Good times.

Last edited: