Help:- So many different types of slant razors

G'day all thanks for you're feedback and I've bought a iKon X3 Slant head from @nsavage thanks buddy (y) and I've also registered my email on a waiting list for a RazoRock Wunderbar Slant as it's already been sold out and my brother will buy this as my Christmas gift.

So I'm looking forward to drive the X3 very soon and thanks Pork Chop :p:D;)

I only have two. The old standard 37C (in my rotation) and a Lutz Double slant - which is not. I purchased the 37C because I wanted to try the slant concept w/out spending a bundle. I am very satisfied with the (very moderately priced) performance of the 37C. My only complaint is the Zamac plating. My 37C is about 18 months old and I use it about once a week. Although I rinse and wipe dry this razor (and all my razors) after each use, I can see the plating starting to wrinkle under the cap. So I guess it's days are numbered. Having said that, I feel that the ole gal has served it's purpose and I will most likely moving on to a ATT S-1 or other upper priced slant. I would not hesitate to repurchase the 37C in the event that I do not mesh with a yet to be purchased replacement slant.

@SpeedyPC you don't make it easy to recommend you something....

If I look at your razor list, you like super aggressive razors (R41) as well as super mild ones (R89) and in between (34C)

You also like the R89 and not the DE89 - although they have the same head geometry...

And then you have them all listed with various (non- standard) handles... doesn't make things easier.

If you could choose 3 razors from your collection - and let's assume for a second they are all made from the same material and have the same finish - so it is only about the shave - which ones would you choose and why?

If you could choose 3 razors from your collection - and let's assume for a second they are all made from the same material and have the same finish - so it is only about the shave - which ones would you choose and why?

@alfredus I can't it's too hard to explain sorry :oops::cautious::censored::coffee:

I only have two. The old standard 37C (in my rotation) and a Lutz Double slant - which is not. I purchased the 37C because I wanted to try the slant concept w/out spending a bundle. I am very satisfied with the (very moderately priced) performance of the 37C. My only complaint is the Zamac plating. My 37C is about 18 months old and I use it about once a week. Although I rinse and wipe dry this razor (and all my razors) after each use, I can see the plating starting to wrinkle under the cap. So I guess it's days are numbered. Having said that, I feel that the ole gal has served it's purpose and I will most likely moving on to a ATT S-1 or other upper priced slant. I would not hesitate to repurchase the 37C in the event that I do not mesh with a yet to be purchased replacement slant.
Considered replating it?
Recently done mine in copper... absolutely sensational and the patina coming through, ages it perfectly.

Depends upon the plating utilised and preparation beforehand.
The problem many experience with the Merkur's is due to it's chrome finish, which is porous, so water does get under the coating.
Other coatings are far less susceptible to this issue.
Also, removal of the coating back to bare metal, should ensure a decent coating job.
WSggyio.jpg

Ultimate durability in a coating is likely to be found with rhodium.

@SpeedyPC I wouldn't know either I just commented on @Ptr74 experience, mainly that if the plating is starting to wrinkle it is better to replate it than buy a new one and have the same happen. Especially if it costs the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
@borked I've ordered a Gillette New Long Comb 1930 which been replated in rhodium is already in the mail, are you saying is good or bad and how long the this plating last as we have heavy water in Australia.

Last edited:
Okay now I've got my iKon X3 slant head from @nsavage (y), what blade goes nicely with this head before I used this very soon.

Also is there any feedback I should be aware before I start shaving with the X3 soon, and does the head behaves very similar to a R41 v2013 :oops:

Okay now I've got my iKon X3 slant head from @nsavage (y), what blade goes nicely with this head before I used this very soon.

Also is there any feedback I should be aware before I start shaving with the X3 soon, and does the head behaves very similar to a R41 v2013 :oops:
@SpeedyPC I usually use a "reference" blade for my first shave with a new razor (for me this is usually a Voskhod).

By that I mean a blade that I am comfortable will give me a good result in a large variety of razors.

For me the Voskhod is a nice smooth blade that is not as sharp as some others I use and is therefore a little more forgiving.

I would suggest that if you have a blade that you feel suits you in the same manner then go for that.

No the razor is a lot more forgiving than the R41.

Hi @SpeedyPC I stumbled across this thread while googling Razor Rock German 39 in Aus. I noticed your passion for the Muhle R41 along with @StratMan and @Razor Burn and a few others and I have recently purchased one from @Davec36 which I am looking forward to trying when AusPost finaly deliver (I'll have a Beast and a Sledgehammer). I wonder if I prefer razors on the aggressive side but have not experienced enough yet. IMHO an efficient shave is how smooth it feels after a single pass WTG. How did your foray into slants go? Did you like the X3 and purchase more slants? I am thinking of getting an X3 head from Maggards and a RR 39 from vshod, both under $50 and if neither of these replace the sledgehammer then I will finally settle with that.

Hi @SpeedyPC I stumbled across this thread while googling Razor Rock German 39 in Aus. I noticed your passion for the Muhle R41 along with @StratMan and @Razor Burn and a few others and I have recently purchased one from @Davec36 which I am looking forward to trying when AusPost finaly deliver (I'll have a Beast and a Sledgehammer). I wonder if I prefer razors on the aggressive side but have not experienced enough yet. IMHO an efficient shave is how smooth it feels after a single pass WTG. How did your foray into slants go? Did you like the X3 and purchase more slants? I am thinking of getting an X3 head from Maggards and a RR 39 from vshod, both under $50 and if neither of these replace the sledgehammer then I will finally settle with that.
You mean the Razor Rock German 37 slant, anyway the X3 slant is too mild, however it does a pretty good job shaving all the stubble off, IF, you don’t apply any pressure.

Check out the new Parker “Semi-Slant” razor which is supposed to be far smoother than RR German 37 and the Merkur 37C/39C slant.

Some slant razors are smooth depending on your stubble, the only issue you need to be careful is pressure, which can give you a very nasty shave as YMMV.