Hi there, new blade shaver

talisker63

Hi all,

just made the transition to a DE safety razor last week.

Totally bald guy here, previously using Dollar Shave Club 5 blade for my head twice a week and a Braun Electric for my daily face shave.

I bought an online starter kit (razor, soap, brush, blade starter pack) and added on a alum block and styptic pencil (be prepared!). Unbelievable how much I didn't cut myself, yet and the shave is so smooth. There is a learning curve to get faster but so far very happy with the switch.

cheers

Andrew

Welcome @talisker63 did the starter kit have any identifiable wares in it?

Welcome to P&C @talisker63 - great to have you here (y)

Welcome @talisker63 did the starter kit have any identifiable wares in it?

Yeah it came with

- Merkur 34C razor
- Beard and Blade classic brush and stand
- Prosaro Green soap
- 45 blade sample kit

And I added the Alum block and styptic pencil.

Post delivery I also ordered

- 2x barbers towels
- Prosaro Green pre-shave
- Colonel Conk unsented aftershave lotion

Not sure that the pre-shave cream is doing much for me. Do you leave it on and soap over the top, or wipe it off and then soap? Tried it both ways and it didn't seem to make any difference...

The plan is if I like it then the wife will buy me upgraded toys for my birthday in September. I lik the idea of an adjustable razor, looking at a refurbed Fatboy or a Parker Varient.

cheers

Yeah it came with

- Merkur 34C razor
- Prosaro Green soap
- 45 blade sample kit

- 2x barbers towels

Not sure that the pre-shave cream is doing much for me. Do you leave it on and soap over the top, or wipe it off and then soap? Tried it both ways and it didn't seem to make any difference...

The plan is if I like it then the wife will buy me upgraded toys for my birthday in September. I lik the idea of an adjustable razor, looking at a refurbed Fatboy or a Parker Varient.

cheers
Hi @talisker63 , some reasonable kit to start off with.(y)
The refurbished fatboy is good - can't go wrong. A modern alternative would be the Rex Ambassador (can be picked up from Beard & Blade). I haven't got the Rex but it's on the shopping list and it gets good reviews.

Hi @talisker63 , some reasonable kit to start off with.(y)
The refurbished fatboy is good - can't go wrong. A modern alternative would be the Rex Ambassador (can be picked up from Beard & Blade). I haven't got the Rex but it's on the shopping list and it gets good reviews.

Yeah I was thinking a Fatboy in my birth year (1963) but that's not possible, would have to be a slim...

Yeah I was thinking a Fatboy in my birth year (1963) but that's not possible, would have to be a slim...
As @Pbgoose and most other members would recommend get both, but if you were to stop at 1 the nostalgia of birthyear and quarter is appealing.
Not seen a lot of support for pre-shave cream especially if showering or using a hot towel beforehand. I believe the idea is to lather over the top. Can apply pre-shave then hot towel but really pampering yourself
The plan is if I like it then the wife will buy me upgraded toys for my birthday in September.
We can definitely provide SWMBO with some artisnal upgrades checkout suppliers on Australian Shaving & Grooming Suppliers and Artisans.

Yeah it came with

- Merkur 34C razor
- Prosaro Green soap
- 45 blade sample kit

- 2x barbers towels

cheers
Welcome mate.

Kits are a great way to get started. I went with the Wilkinson Sword Premium kit and then went nuts from there :D

As for the preshave, some will work for you, and some won't. And it goes both ways, what you hate others will rave about. It's a Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV) thing. For instance, I find the RazoRock preshave to be useless, but the Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements cube to be fantastic.

Col Conk doesn't do it for me, I can't stand the scents and the performance isn't their IMO.

If you like the synth brush but want something with some heft and style to it, an artisan brush may be for you. Check out:
  • Billy Goat Brushworks [Handturned Custom Shave Brushes] George makes some brilliant handles, but stay away from the coloured tipped tux knots as they are useless apparently
  • Forgotten Art Shaving Brushes [Handturned Custom Shaving Brushes] Irish (Ray) is an active member on the TAWSE Facebook group and has been turning out some fantastic brushes in equally as impressive styles lately
  • Rhodium Knots [Shave brushes and Knotting Services] (@Srdjan is a member here and makes some of the highest regarded shave knots around. Quite common to see many artisan brushes sporting his knots, either as the knot of choice or as a reknot down the line
  • TF Custom Shave Brushes [Handturned Custom Shave Brushes] (@Tony Forsyth is a member here and produced the first P&C Limited Edition Platypus Brush and the current P&C Limited Edtion Matilda Brush. Tony makes some damn fine brushes and is an active member of the forums

Welcome mate.

Kits are a great way to get started. I went with the Wilkinson Sword Premium kit and then went nuts from there :D

As for the preshave, some will work for you, and some won't. And it goes both ways, what you hate others will rave about. It's a Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV) thing. For instance, I find the RazoRock preshave to be useless, but the Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements cube to be fantastic.

Col Conk doesn't do it for me, I can't stand the scents and the performance isn't their IMO.

If you like the synth brush but want something with some heft and style to it, an artisan brush may be for you. Check out:
  • Billy Goat Brushworks [Handturned Custom Shave Brushes] George makes some brilliant handles, but stay away from the coloured tipped tux knots as they are useless apparently
  • Forgotten Art Shaving Brushes [Handturned Custom Shaving Brushes] Irish (Ray) is an active member on the TAWSE Facebook group and has been turning out some fantastic brushes in equally as impressive styles lately
  • Rhodium Knots [Shave brushes and Knotting Services] (@Srdjan is a member here and makes some of the highest regarded shave knots around. Quite common to see many artisan brushes sporting his knots, either as the knot of choice or as a reknot down the line
  • TF Custom Shave Brushes [Handturned Custom Shave Brushes] (@Tony Forsyth is a member here and produced the first P&C Limited Edition Platypus Brush and the current P&C Limited Edtion Matilda Brush. Tony makes some damn fine brushes and is an active member of the forums
@Tony Forsyth also has his own YT channel where he regularly live streams his work - well worth a watch: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOYzUCSw2eWT-IIHsFQ2Uxg