Home Restoration for the old boys gift (some tips needed)

Phunk

Hi all,

So, I'm in the midst of getting my old boy a 1960 Gillette 195 (fat boy). Condition is fair to good on the finish but I'm looking at restoring it.

The 1960 is his birth year and he's been asking a lot of questions lately and showing interest ever since I got into wet shaving because of my grandad when I was a kid.

Questions I have are:

Option 1) will pull it all apart and hit it with a Dremel buffing pad and some Autosol, hopefully will get the staining off the plating and get it shining like the day it came out of the factory.

How well are these plated and will it survive the test? Has anyone given it a go down this path before?

Option 2) I've had success in the past using the home Nickel plating method using nickel anodes in a vinegar bath with some mild voltage.

Question is, I've only ever plated metals that are somewhat raw, not sure if it will re-plate or do I need to scuff it back a bit with some 3000 grit.

I'm more of a working with wood kinda guy, but always happy to see what I can do with some metal!

Any help would be great, and yes, I will definitely post up pics of the process that I take once I kick it off and results (good or bad)