How often do you shave

Most of what I was going to contribute has been covered. Those who have met me know I have a full face & neck to shave and consider myself a medium grained breast with sub average to sensitive skin. The reason I went to wet shaving in the first place as carts, can foam left me with patchy dry, oily irritated skin and ingrowns.
So to answer the question, three to four times a week on average. Not weekends.
When I'm daily shaving I'll only do one pass and buff my problem areas like my chin, top lip and a spot on my neck. No ATG as my face will light up. I do ATG usually when I have a day gap between shaves.
What I have concluded is wet shaving is an art and your skills need to be honed, I'm two years in now (financially broke) and still learning.

Though I would like to boast, to a degree that I can now shave with any DE/SE. That is because and @Snooze only mentioned this last weekend was to stick to one razor and learn it till it is muscle memory. To boast again I have dozens and dozens of razors and I suck at all of them until I know how it performs and again as someone mentioned, what blade would work with it/what.
Using a very mild RR Mamba I still can get irritation as I'm applying pressure, bad blade combo and chasing BBS so still have not learnt its mysterys. Like wise the PAA Evolution it is the most aggressive out there & more so than the R41. But over time I have tamed it and can get a daily shave with this beast with none or low irritation. As I have forced myself to stick to one razor and just kept trying. What I'm saying is a mild razor is not necessarily going to get you less irritation. It's your technique. Personally like a mid aggressive razor with good technique gives me the best shave. Using less efficient razors makes me use a bad technique as i am not satisfied with the performance of it and tend to work it more by applying pressure and haste.

Though some days it doesn't matter what I use as I can feel my beard is not in the right mood. Sometimes when I wake up my stubble is hard and dry (seasonal) and know my basic warm water splash is not going to give me the best hydrated base to work with; and I'll feel irritated after my shave. No preshave is going to help here. To get around this I'll wet my face and apply sorbolene cream (stay away from the vit E added ones as cheap form of vit E used & is crap and can cause pimples). Then leave it on for awhile and do breakfast, get ready etc.
Ideally a warm towel would help but too busy to wait with a towel on face.
So why don't I shower then shave?
Since I'm hairy I shower after I shave. Ideally showering before softens the whiskers and relaxes the skin. I don't have this luxury as I have lather from my ears and down to my chest. Yeah you could say I'm doing it wrong but full breaded gents know what I'm talking about.
It's hard to give advice to others when your beard isn't the same or you are a goatee holder and give advice to a person who shaves their chin and lip under the nose. Hence YMMV.

Lather, as mentioned again by previous posts. So important for me. Wetter the better before it breaks apart or trys to run off my face (stays put), though each soap is different. It usually is at its slickest and hydrating point when it can take no more water.

Post shave I rinse my face to remove any stray cut whiskers as they will itch me later especially if caught in the upper chest hair. Hence the post shower.
The left over lather is then applied over my shaved face while I clean up the sink area and then I jump into the shower. This I find retains the skin's natural moisture and any beneficial soap ingredients can continue to perform. Added bonus is it acts as a hemostatic and relief for small nicks or razor burn.

Post is anyone's game. Personally like a mentholated splash and then a balm/ointment applied later after a few minutes or ten to absorb and see the splash benefits, seasonal based. As a sinner I'll apply a few drops of APR first into my hand then a few of a highly alcohol based no frills splash as a combo deal as I find the APR glycerine in summer is to heavy for me.

Know it's a lot so take what you want from it. Not telling you anything but hope something in the above helps out or makes you think about your approach or offer other techniques.

I have lather from my ears and down to my chest. Yeah you could say I'm doing it wrong but full breaded gents know what I'm talking about.
giphy.gif

You’re doing just fine @RustyBlade :smuggrin: may God save the Queen (y)

Last edited:
I used to aim for a BBS but have since given up and am satisfied with anything close to a DFS as possible within 3 passes. If it wasn't for work I'd happily shave every second day but I'm forced to shave at least 4-5 times a week with varying success :( I like to mix my shaves up trying different gear and despite having a tonne of sample blades to try - I normally stick with the brands that work out of convenience and being lazy/tired... Looking forward to my sabbatical in 2019 so I can use up my current gear and might try adjusting my shave pattern when necessary... Happy shaves!

Always shave every weekday to look respectable for work - usually 1.5 passes (WTG, ATG on upper lip and chin) which is enough for a CCS.

I usually shave Saturday and Sunday also purely for enjoyment. This is typically two passes (WTG, ATG) for a DFS. Occasionally I'll do 3 passes, mainly if I'm putting a new piece of equipment (blade, soap etc) through it paces.

I wonder what’s the mildest of mild razors? Maybe I should get a aa or an a plate from Karve.

If you want a very mild but extremely efficient razor, Feather make a [don't be put off] plastic and metal travel razor. It is called the Popular if memory serves me correctly. About $30

First learn the direction of your whisker growth, it makes a big difference. Regardless of the amount you shave you need to prep your skin correctly. This will be a routine you arrive at personally. I use hot towels for a couple of minutes [3 changes] Between 2 and 3 I prepare loading my brush. I have tough whiskers and a very delicate :) skin - I'm like that, so I sometimes use Proraso pre shave cream or Coconut oil rubbed in prior to the lather. These have no ill affect on the lather if you have a good soap.
DON'T go for the world record number of shaves from a single blade. They are seriously so cheap use a new one each time or at max use the same blade only twice.

When you finish your shave make certain you wash all the lather off your face and then wash again.

A small smear of Almond, Jojoba or Macadamia oil will be wonderful at the end.

Some guys have faces like leather and whiskers like arm hair and can shave every hour on the hour with no irritation. I shave every second day and at my age I still look great at the end of the second day :)

If you want a very mild but extremely efficient razor, Feather make a [don't be put off] plastic and metal travel razor. It is called the Popular if memory serves me correctly. About $30

First learn the direction of your whisker growth, it makes a big difference. Regardless of the amount you shave you need to prep your skin correctly. This will be a routine you arrive at personally. I use hot towels for a couple of minutes [3 changes] Between 2 and 3 I prepare loading my brush. I have tough whiskers and a very delicate :) skin - I'm like that, so I sometimes use Proraso pre shave cream or Coconut oil rubbed in prior to the lather. These have no ill affect on the lather if you have a good soap.
DON'T go for the world record number of shaves from a single blade. They are seriously so cheap use a new one each time or at max use the same blade only twice.

When you finish your shave make certain you wash all the lather off your face and then wash again.

A small smear of Almond, Jojoba or Macadamia oil will be wonderful at the end.

Some guys have faces like leather and whiskers like arm hair and can shave every hour on the hour with no irritation. I shave every second day and at my age I still look great at the end of the second day :)
giphy.gif

I used to aim for a BBS but have since given up and am satisfied with anything close to a DFS as possible within 3 passes. If it wasn't for work I'd happily shave every second day but I'm forced to shave at least 4-5 times a week with varying success :( I like to mix my shaves up trying different gear and despite having a tonne of sample blades to try - I normally stick with the brands that work out of convenience and being lazy/tired... Looking forward to my sabbatical in 2019 so I can use up my current gear and might try adjusting my shave pattern when necessary... Happy shaves!
It has been said a million times, but here again: mixing and matching your gear makes life only more difficult...

Try to find a setup that works (incl blades, soap etc) and stick with it until you get at least 5 consecutive great shaves.

Then change one thing at a time, notice the differrence, learn, analyse etc.

I went every 2nd morning for work ( not required for work but)
Mon, Wed, Friday get a quick DFS, 2 pass With & Against the grain
then only on special occasions on weekends I go a full 3 pass WTG, XTG, ATG

On holidays only once a week & is a 2 pass

The exception to this is when honing,
as I will shave test on the day/night I honed, whether it is the same day or between these days I juggle shaves to suit

All shaves are cold water Straight razor shaves & have been for several years,
I personally found these to be less irritating here in the heat & humidity of Central Qld

Even In the icy cold winters in Bathurst NSW, I only bring the water temp up to something tolerable from freezing but have gone full cold water there also
You just need to ensure your lather is right - nice & slick

9 shaves straight razor,
What is your maintenance schedule to only be getting 9 shaves out of a straight,
How many Lapps are you using on a clean strop each before & after each shave?
Do you add extra Lapps or a pasted strop etc at this point to touch up?
Or are going to a hone at this time?
I have gotten closer to 50 shaves (several months from a straight @ 3-4 shaves a week) without degrading the shave noticeably

What is your maintenance schedule to only be getting 9 shaves out of a straight,
How many Lapps are you using on a clean strop each before & after each shave?
Do you add extra Lapps or a pasted strop etc at this point to touch up?
Or are going to a hone at this time?
I have gotten closer to 50 shaves (several months from a straight @ 3-4 shaves a week) without degrading the shave noticeably
I do 80 to 100 laps on leather strop (40/cow hide, 40/kangaroo) pre shave. No lapping post shave. Blade gets cleaned with microfibre cloth post shave. No pasted strop.
50 shaves!! :)(y) Not sure if I want to aspire to that or not. There are some that get 50 shaves from a DE blade and I don't want to go there.
When I started using straights I certainly expected the edge would last a lot longer than 9 shaves but at the end of the day the edge of the edge is the same regardless of thickness of blade so why would it necessarily last longer? I'm assuming that as you've suggested it comes down to maintenance so I'm open to suggestions.
I assumed old timers were getting 6 -12 months between honing at the barber by using pasted strop and by putting up with a less than optimally sharp blade for a few months.

Last edited:
Some laps on a pasted strop would definitely bring back easy enough to your liking between hones
Chromium Oxide? I've been putting that off until I got to the point where I was happy with the results I was getting on the stones, and was thinking if I'm going to do maintenance wouldn't it better to do it more precisely on stones. I am curious though so will probably try. I'm assuming a supported strop like leather on glass would be better than free strop?

It has been said a million times, but here again: mixing and matching your gear makes life only more difficult...

Try to find a setup that works (incl blades, soap etc) and stick with it until you get at least 5 consecutive great shaves.

Then change one thing at a time, notice the differrence, learn, analyse etc.
If only I had this advice when I started collecting my gear it would've saved me a fortune $$$. I agree 100% and during my short time with P&C I have become greater educated in the hobby and applied knowledge gained from the community to perfect my daily shaving routine... I have gained a vast collection of gear but try to keep the SOTD to a small collection of trusted products, occasionally changing my DE as I enjoying using a slant, oc or adjustable when possible :)

If only I had this advice when I started collecting my gear it would've saved me a fortune $$$. I agree 100% and during my short time with P&C I have become greater educated in the hobby and applied knowledge gained from the community to perfect my daily shaving routine... I have gained a vast collection of gear but try to keep the SOTD to a small collection of trusted products, occasionally changing my DE as I enjoying using a slant, oc or adjustable when possible :)
Take it all, put it into a drawer and keep one set out...from time to time open the drawer and treat yourself to a change ;)